Camargue berthing????

smee

Visit site
Hello I have a non "internet ready" friend who is wanting to move from Spain to the Camargue region of France, to be living aboard year round on a motorcruiser. Can anyone suggest some good marinas that are reasonably cheap & near shops, restaurants etc. They would need to have a decent livaboard community as he would not want to be anywhere that was dead quiet in the winter.
Can any one offer some suggestions: we will be visiting the area in mid Feb. The boat is 40ft.
Thanks

brianp

Visit site
Can"t help you directly, but for some general info have a look at the thread under Perm. Moorings in S.France, currently on page 6

richardknight

Visit site
Two weeks ago we visited all the ports between Perpignan and Narbonne - now I know they are a tad south of where your friend is looking but I suspect the trend will be the same. If looking for a berth via the Capitainerie du port then there will likely be a long wait involved. We're were told 4 to 5 years for the most popular marina we visited, down to 2 for others. Our best so far is No. 87 on the waiting list for a 30ft yacht.

If your friend is willing to purchase a berth or trawl through brokers then you he may find something easier and quicker....probably not cheaper though!

Richard

tcm

Visit site
Re: Hmm.

Spain is nice and cheap. Whereas west of marseilles feels about as cheap, but costs more money. Also, lots of flies and mozzies aug+ in portvendres-marseilles cos flat coastlione excellent for breeding flies. Since it's cheap,but not as cheap as greece, but not as nice as cote d'azur, then it is fairly dead in winter.

richardknight

Visit site
Re: Hmm.

I wish Spain was cheaper than France! It's actually proving far more expensive for those marina's upto 50 miles south of the French border - haven't ventured beyond there. Now if someone knows of a cheap Spanish marina that way, please do say and we'll be there like a flash! Currently c. 1,000 euro's more expense for a 30ft yacht than France.

We've experienced the flies too - awful experience! Having lunch in Collioure one day and we were invaded. Grim experience. Still, that's the only time and hopefully they keep themselves to land? As you say, not an uncommon experience at that time of year.