Calais... is it still safe?

Champagne Murphy

Visit site
Just got back from Calais. Town was absolutely fine. Very clean, good food to be had, nice people (French and English). Beach was lovely and water warm. Only trouble was, there is a humungous funfair on the other side of the marina and it goes on until 1am. Sleep is impossible. On the second night we took a visitors mooring outside the bridge. Listening to ferries coming and going was better.
By contrast Boulonge was quieter but grey and dirty. The denizens of BSM seem to make a habit of being sick on pavements or leaving dog poo. It was our second visit but we won't bother again unless in transit.
Ramsgate's improving though!
Ps plenty of space in Calais marina but Boulonge gets very busy by about 6pm

Last edited:

Serin

Visit site
Just got back from Calais. Town was absolutely fine. Very clean, good food to be had, nice people

The food scene in Calais suffered a grievous loss a few years ago when the couple who ran "Le Pleiade" moved to Martinique. That was a lovely restaurant, both for the food and for the welcome. I wonder if many other people visiting by yacht came across it. Tucked away in a residential area and full of French people, but I never saw many Brits there.

That was the best restaurant in Calais, IMHO, and I know a lot of restaurants in Calais. Whenever we go there we seem to end up gale bound. I can think of worse places. to be stuck. :)

johnalison

Visit site
When we first went to Boulogne in 1978 our pilot book, Delmar Morgan, recommended a cafe behind the fish dock run by an irascible proprietor. We duly gave it a visit with the children and had a menu that probably amounted to thirty francs each. The owner was charming and great fun. At one point he threw a firecracker into the next-door cafe. I don't remember the food but it was probably petty awful.

Vara

Visit site
Have not seen any sign of would be immigrants inside town or close to marina.

All the camps clustered round the ferry port have been cleared and occupants moved to " The Jungle".

Would not hesitate to take boat into Calais.

All the cafes, bars and restaurants have been suffering for the past couple of years, they hoped that the weakening of the Euro would bring back the booze cruisers but this hasn't happened to any great extent.

Cantata

Visit site
".........................All the cafes, bars and restaurants have been suffering for the past couple of years, they hoped that the weakening of the Euro would bring back the booze cruisers but this hasn't happened to any great extent.
Hardly surprising, you need to be some kind of masochist (or very thirsty) to book a day trip by ferry when all that messing about over there by French ferry workers is screwing up the schedules in an unpredictable way. Nobody wants to spend hours sitting in their car waiting in one port or the other. I'd have been at least twice this year already if things were normal, it's a great day out when you live quite near.

Vara

Visit site
Hardly surprising, you need to be some kind of masochist (or very thirsty) to book a day trip by ferry when all that messing about over there by French ferry workers is screwing up the schedules in an unpredictable way. Nobody wants to spend hours sitting in their car waiting in one port or the other. I'd have been at least twice this year already if things were normal, it's a great day out when you live quite near.

The impact of Op stack on tourist/booze cruise traffic has been greatly overblown, I've been over three times this year while stack was on and My Ferry workers have been playing up and using A2 and Lydden route into Dover have not been unduly delayed, P&O just seem to bung you on the first available crossing.

Coming back very much the same if you approach the ferry terminal from Calais town centre.

Longest delay has been 1/2 an hour.

And, yes it is a great day out with the added bonus of a boot full of cheap beer and wine.

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
The food scene in Calais suffered a grievous loss a few years ago when the couple who ran "Le Pleiade" moved to Martinique. That was a lovely restaurant, both for the food and for the welcome. I wonder if many other people visiting by yacht came across it. Tucked away in a residential area and full of French people, but I never saw many Brits there.

That was the best restaurant in Calais, IMHO, and I know a lot of restaurants in Calais. Whenever we go there we seem to end up gale bound. I can think of worse places. to be stuck. :)

Do you know if they opened a restaurant in Martinique. If so where and name please. I will be there around Xmas.