Cadiz marinas

Yngmar

Visit site
Rota (on the north side of the bay) was good shelter from a gale and is an APPA marina, meaning less expensive. The town had a few nice bits to explore: https://sdfjkl.org/blog/2018-08-12-cruising-again/

Just don't arrive at night (unless you have radar). Found the lights from the massive US navy ships quite confusing.

Alas, just checked, Rota doesn't seem to be a port of entry.

capnsensible

Visit site
Planning to sail from Rabat, Morocco to Cadiz to clear in. Any advice on which marina to use and/or anchorage please?

Are you European? Ive been back to Spain oodles of times from Morocco, several different marinas, wasn't required to clear in, just Marina formalities.

If not, goto Puerto America, first one in the main harbour to stbd. Reception berth is easier than it looks. To clear in, 10 minutes walk to the Cruise Ship Terminal. I've known a number of people clear in there. If you are in office hours, marina staff are very helpful but wouldnt bother asking the over night security guards, they have limited knowledge. Get a berth and go in morning!

Hope you enjoy Cadiz, one of my favourites! :encouragement:

richardh10

Visit site
We went to Rota, and really enjoyed it. Instead of going to the marina in Cadiz, which didn’t look particularly great, we just caught the fast ferry from Rota.

capnsensible

Visit site
No problem. Easily done. Thank you for recommending Rota - we will go there after clearance.

Top tips?

Worth a couple of days in Cadiz. Splendid old town but a good walk from the marina especially if you need victuals.

A sail under the new bridge up to the old one is interesting.

A trip up the river to Santa Maria is fab with a potential to overnight at the Yacht Club. Helps if you speak some Spanish and are cool with strong currents.

Good anchorage just outside before the big Marina at Puerto Sherry. The marina itself is in a good spot, beaches either side but a bit pricey.

Rota is simply great. But will need a cab back from the bigger supermarkets if loaded. Good one bang in middle of town where all the bars and restaurants are. Beach next to marina, I could go on about this place!

Lastly, bit further on is another gem, Chipiona. Marina looks a bit industrial but old town is great. It's also a good start line if you want to go up the river to Seville.

Enjoy!

capnsensible

Visit site
Anchoring around the corner from Cadiz in Sancti Petri is not to be missed and you can the visit San Fernando from the other side.

Top tip regarding Sancti Petri. Which is another great place. Don't anchor! You may get lucky upstream but talking to the club marineros there after trying myself and watching others, the holding in the strong currents is awful. The yacht club has visitor buoys for not a lot plus a free water taxi service that is so we'll run, I always give a bit of a tip.

GHA

Visit site
Well, we like to keep things nice and proper. Lots of folks don't bother with things like courtesy flags or other rules and regs but we do. It's our way of cruising.

Is it rules & regs to check in after a trip to Morocco?

Genuine question, I've never bothered checking back in to Europe.

(Always fly courtesy flag/yellow)