Buying electronics from USA

DickB

Visit site
I purchased a Raymarine chart plotter when working in the US - hand carried home. Had to pay VAT only. Still worked out to be a good deal. About 30% cheaper!!!

yachtbits

www.yachtbits.com
Obviously I'm biased, but.

Be aware that not all maufacturers warranties are global. Depending on what brand you by, you may have to ship it back to USA if it breaks.

also, do a search for ST4000, someone on here paid more in states for one of these that it could have been bought for here. Not everything is cheaper!

kev

VicMallows

Visit site
Technically, yes you pay duty plus vat ( on the price once the duty has been added).

There is a 'minimum' of about £18 below which you will not be charged anything; but C&E can open any package to check if it is a realisted vaue. Not much use though for electronic stuff. Sometimes you are lucky, sometimes not!

Vic

jh001ace

Visit site
I bought a Raymarine ST60 wind and speed system from the us on e-bay (new) had to pay VAT and duty although it was still about £150 cheaper than in the UK.

Cloven

Visit site
I considered buying a small chartplotter ex USA and did not when I considered the three extra costs. Shipping & insurance was about $30 - $60, duty on electrical goods about 3.5% and then VAT at 17.5% on the whloe lot - ie Price of goods + shipping + duty. In the end although it would still have been a little cheaper I considered the hassle factor if something went wrong not worth the trouble.

By the way, duty is variable depending on the goods. For example duty on sails is over 20% because they are considered a fabric.

Hope this helps.