buying a second hand boat from Italy

cboulter

Visit site
I am looking at a selection of second hand beneteau yachts in Italy and they seem much cheaper than in the UK, but that makes me think there might be an issue with buying a boat in Italy and shipping it back to the UK. Does anyone have any good or bad experiences of buying a second hand boat in Italy?

Thanks

C

chris66

xoomer.alice.it
I bought my boat in Italy second hand around 10 years ago (that's her for sale now below) and I had no problems at all. As said, just make sure you get a VAT certificate and then you would want to delist from the Italian Registery Books (RINA) but the broker can easily and cheaply do this, and then you can register her on the SSR (or other) in the UK.
I live and work in Italy and so keep her on the Med so know nothing about transport etc. I'll pm you my email if you ever need any short & sharp quick fix translation assistance....

alan

Visit site
As has already been said, no problems different to any other EC country. If you need any help with Italian translations or intermediating then please P.M. me.
I am about 50Km south of Rome.
Road transport in Italy is expensive because (depending on size) you have to pay the local authorites for special permission for using the roads .... but it is possible. I would look to buying the boat in Italy but if you intend to transport it by road then to sail the boat to the South of France and do it from there.
(N.B. Beneteau Italy deliver their new boats to the S. of France and the buyer picks up from there; I've done it four times ..... not all mine though!!).

Alan.

chrisgee

Visit site
I know it`s not Italy but may be some use to you anyway.
You could try Malta -- very good broker there called S&D Yachts . They usually have a good selection of yachts on their web site - and they will look after you well in all aspects of the deal . Also very cheap and easy to get to these days.
It`s a change to be able to recommend a broker but Christian who runs their sale side is well worth a chat to.
What sort of boat are you looking for?