buying a boat in Turkey

Katina

Visit site
Help please !! If I buy a non-VAT paid boat in Turkey, what are the problems with paying VAT. Do I have to pay it somewhere in Greece on my way back West. I don't relish the prospect of paying it there & would rather pay it in the UK. Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
I'm neither a VAT expert or an accountant, so you should treat what I say with caution. VAT is payable when you first import a boat into an EU country, and I think there are time limits that define what constitutes importation as against merely making a visit.

In spite of what you say about paying VAT in the UK, the rate is lower in Malta, so what I'd be inclined to do is "import" it to there from Turkey, pay the VAT (@15%, rather than the UK's 17.5%, I think) and it's all sorted - you only have to pay VAT once, assuming you don't then lose the paperwork. If the boat was built before (?1985?) and you can prove it, VAT's not payable anyway.

There are lots of ways of avoiding paying VAT by setting up a business to own the boat, chartering it etc. but they're only worth doing, imho, when large amounts of VAT are at stake, as they require Charter coding (expensive) and accountants (hysterically expensive) to set up.

Hope this helps.

<hr width=100% size=1>Je suis Marxiste - tendance Groucho

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
Oops. VAT in Malta is 18%; it's Cyprus where it's 15%. Still worth a try, maybe, though I don't know if you have the same concerns about Cyprus as you do about Greece.

Lots of other considerations, like CE marking, boat taxes in individual countries etc. which may provide further headaches.

Good luck.............

<hr width=100% size=1>Je suis Marxiste - tendance Groucho

CharlesM

Visit site
Hi

Check out the EU Recreational Craft Directive. That could very likely scupper any deal you may make.

Regards
Charles

<hr width=100% size=1>

Katina

Visit site
The boat is French built (1985) by a well known builder, so I presume it is RCD complient, unless you know differant.

I am currently trying to find out if I can pay the VAT in the UK, before leaving Turkey. Have you heard of this as an option.

<hr width=100% size=1>

wishbone

www.reflect-designs.co.uk
I am pretty shure that you will have to sail to your prefered port, if the UK then customs & excise will board your boat, look at reciepts and assess what vat you are required to pay them. Some other EU countries may not be as thorough as the UK which could cost you less.

<hr width=100% size=1>Wishbone
Rolling, rolling, rolling keep them doggies moving!
Where’s me chuck wagon gone?

robind

Visit site
I seem to remember that a friend of mine (at the time) purchased a boat from the USA and brought it to the UK via the Azores? I think, as it was cheaper VAT there.
So it may be worth a check, Or you could phone all the member states embassies and ask the questions, can I pay my VAT by post and how much will it be. I guess Poland (if they are now a member) might oblige as they are very ship and boat orientated (Gedansk etc)
Let me know how you get on please
Regards

Rob

<hr width=100% size=1>

smee

Visit site
VAT is payable on a boat pre 1985!
I think you are getting confused with the fact that a boat pre 1985, with written evidence stating it was in the EU on 31st December 1992 is classed as VAT exempt. Any boat coming in from outside the EU unless it was pre APril 1973 is subject to VAT. Spain is likely to be the cheapest place to import a boat, as it has 16% VAT and very favourable VAT based values, so boats do not pay the full value paid as stated on the Bill of Sale.

<hr width=100% size=1>