Bukh starting handle.

bedouin

Visit site
I sometimes wonder whether whoever determines BUKH's spares pricing policy isn't in the pay of BETA Ltd. ie charge sky high prices for spares and people will scrap their BUKH and buy a BETA.

What do BETA charge for their starting handles?

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
The cylinders on the Bukh twin travel together, ie they both compress and reach the top at the same time. Doesn't this make it doubly hard to hand crank?

Surely they are not both firing at the same time - you only make boxers fire like that? on an in-line twin, they will fire alternately in order better to balance the engine. So even if pistons aligned one is coming up to shove out to the exhaust and the other to ignition ?

Looking at the illustration of the camshaft in the Bukh parts list it seems obvious to me that the two cylinders' valves are not operating in unison, so, as one would expect and Poecheng and Rotrax say, they are compressing alternately.

VicMallows

Visit site
WOW-just what I need!

I'm watching and will no doubt make a strong bid at the right time.

Thanks.

It went for £ 32. Was it you who won ??

I won the BUKH service kit (from same seller) at £31.80 (Genuine oil + fuel filters; impeller + cover plate; anode; alternator belt). Quite pleased:)

EDIT: Sorry, misleading info. Another BUKH starting handle went for £32. The one in question still has no bids and 4 days to run.

Last edited:

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I see from the Bukh website that as well as the crank handle, they also provide the options of a spring starter and a hydraulic starter for their small boat engines.

Hate to think how much they'd cost. Presumably the spring starter is like a giant clockwork motor arrangement? How does a hydraulic starter work?

While we're on the subject of Bukh, can anyone authoritively say how it is pronounced? 'Book? Buck? or. . . .

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
Well, I am amazed how much interest this has caused since I made the OP.
I did not win it-it was too rich for me. When I am in NZ in November throught to early April I will try and find an old car or truck/tractor one and make it fit-my mate Fred is in the local vintage club and lives on a farm-he might help.

Lots of good suggestions and knowlege on here..............................................