Bukh DV20ME

G

Having drive problems, last year I badly fouled the prop, took an hour to clear. Thought all was okay, but if I try to motor in a heavy sea I appear to get slip on the drive, as though it is fouled again, I loose all drive, in calm water its okay, I have checked the clamp on the drive shaft, can anyone help??

G

Can only be 1 Loose prop inc. damaged keyway. 2 Loose gearbox coupling. 3. Defective gearbox. Try looking at boat diesel.com for info

G

Thanks for the reply, had a look at diesel.com. I am trying not to panic having just put the boat back in, fairly sure its not the prop as I managed over 5 knots on flat sea with no problem, I have a nasty feeling it may be the gear box.

G

This message is probably too late, but I hope not. Having had almost identical symptoms on a Volvo engine, after exhaustive analysis I spent £450 on a gearbox overhaul. When put back together it continued to travel at virtually full speed forwards, but didn't do much in reverse. I found the propellor key had sheared in such a way that it jammed on the shaft in forwards but slipped in reverse. A new key cost £1, I have kidded myself ever since that it was a coincidence......suggest you check the prop very carefully before doing anything else.

G

Robin, thanks for the input, the boat has been sitting on the pontoon since the problem, you may have saved me a lot of money, no marine engineers are available for three weeks so I will follow your suggestion and give the prop a thorough going over.