Building road legal boat trailers

Biscuit1983

Visit site
Hi again all,

Quite a simple question i cannot find a definitive answer to at present.

I am now in the process of building aluminium boats, from 12 to 21 feet, looking into the option of building aluminium trailers to go along with them.

But as i say i cannot find a definitive answer on the certification requirements for them, there look to be many different ways, loopholes and vague laws around it.

Anybody know the whole truth on this?

Thanks

CLB

Visit site
I may be wrong, but if you build a new trailer it may have to go through some sport of type approval process. It could depend if you are building one for personal use, or planning on supplying them onwards, which is what it sounds like you are doing. I guess braked trailers, ie gross over 750kg, will be much more complicated.

I agree, VOSA should be your first point of contact.

ontheplane

Visit site
Yes, you need to design and build, then you need to get them type approved.

I haven't a clue whether you get one "type approved" and can they just vary that design, or whether every variation needs to be approved.

I know when I wanted a new trailer many years back, I wanted it over-long and with an uprated axle weight, and the company just made it - however that was before type approval needed. Now I think manufacturers offer a standard build for each weight rating / type (perhaps in 3 lengths or something) and that's it no mods allowed as they would have to re-approve that particular trailer.

Saying that - what is a "mod" and what isn't will also be questionable - so will adding extra rollers be a modification?

VOSA is the only place I can think you will get an answer.

Croftie

Visit site
Actually its DVSA now, Depending on the numbers why not contact a few trailer manufacturers and see if you can buy trade to sell on with a markup.

Bouba

Visit site
Find the cheapest most beatup trailer that is available with the weight limit that you want. Use this to start your rebuild process (ie keep the bit with the certification plaque). That way you don’t need to have it re-certified

rafiki_

Visit site
Hi again all,

I am now in the process of building aluminium boats, from 12 to 21 feet, looking into the option of building aluminium trailers to go along with them.

But as i say i cannot find a definitive answer on the certification requirements for them, there look to be many different ways, loopholes and vague laws around it.

Thanks
The Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA) is the U.K. agency responsible for the approval of new vehicles and trailers. WWW.VCA.GOV.UK They are usually very helpful, especially to SME’s and start-ups.

halcyon

Visit site
We have had trailer type approval since 1973, clearing out some old papers the other month I came across a load of drawing of Sinclair trailers I did in 1977 when I did his type approval. Times have moved on, so as said chase up the agency.

But if you plan a range, look at standardization, if you have a 1000 kg boat and a 1500 kg boat, putting the 1000 kg boat on the 1500 kg trailer saves a type approval. Rather than making separated trailers for each boat, there is not a minimum weight, only max weight.

Brian

BruceK

Visit site
The hoops I had to jump through, the endless emails that took months before a response, just to convert an American trailer to being UK road legal and in the end after spending nearly as much as a new trailer and taking it to a test station it was almost dismissed as "yeah, that'll do, next!" I was rather dismayed and disappointed.

Be careful of this.
Find the cheapest most beatup trailer that is available with the weight limit that you want. Use this to start your rebuild process (ie keep the bit with the certification plaque). That way you don’t need to have it re-certified
In one response from VOSA I got this admonition

Dear Mr Kxxxxx

Thank you for your email dated 25 March to our IVS enquiries inbox. I have been asked to reply.

It is difficult to provide a definitive answer to your question, as ultimately only a Court of Law can provide the answer. Is the trailer an old trailer, updated with some new parts, or is it a new trailer that happens to use some old parts?

To be on the safe side, it would be advisable to submit your trailer for an IVA inspection with VOSA, as a new trailer. This will at least have the benefit of giving you complete peace of mind. Details of the IVA scheme are available on line. Please see link : Vehicle approval

You would need to allocate a gross weight, in consultation with Indespension and perhaps VOSA, as in effect you would be considered the constructor.

Alternatively, you could treat the trailer as an old trailer updated with some new parts. In this case you would not need an IVA. But you may have issues with the police, insurance etc. if you follow this route. Ultimately the decision is yours.

Yours sincerely

James Brxxxxxx

Department for Transport

Last edited:

Bouba

Visit site
The hoops I had to jump through, the endless emails that took months before a response, just to convert an American trailer to being UK road legal and in the end after spending nearly as much as a new trailer and taking it to a test station it was almost dismissed as "yeah, that'll do, next!" I was rather dismayed and disappointed.

Be careful of this.

Dear Mr Kxxxxx

Thank you for your email dated 25 March to our IVS enquiries inbox. I have been asked to reply.

It is difficult to provide a definitive answer to your question, as ultimately only a Court of Law can provide the answer. Is the trailer an old trailer, updated with some new parts, or is it a new trailer that happens to use some old parts?

To be on the safe side, it would be advisable to submit your trailer for an IVA inspection with VOSA, as a new trailer. This will at least have the benefit of giving you complete peace of mind. Details of the IVA scheme are available on line. Please see link : Vehicle approval

You would need to allocate a gross weight, in consultation with Indespension and perhaps VOSA, as in effect you would be considered the constructor.

Alternatively, you could treat the trailer as an old trailer updated with some new parts. In this case you would not need an IVA. But you may have issues with the police, insurance etc. if you follow this route. Ultimately the decision is yours.

Yours sincerely

James Brxxxxxx

Department for Transport
Of course my suggestion was meant in jest?

halcyon

Visit site

Be careful of this.

Dear Mr Kxxxxx

Yours sincerely

James Brxxxxxx

Department for Transport

Times have not changed, back in 1973 when I was trying to sort out testing, I got the reply back once ..

"A Court of Law interprets the regulations, we only write them".

Brian

Seastoke

Visit site
Hi again all,

Thanks
A trailer for a T50

rafiki_

Visit site

Be careful of this.

Dear Mr Kxxxxx

Yours sincerely

James Brxxxxxx

Department for Transport
As I said earlier, VCA is responsible for Type Approval. DVSA is responsible for annual in-service inspections, like the MoT test.

NormanS

Visit site
After I had built a wooden Folkboat, the next thing was a trailer, so that I could tow her behind a Landrover, through to the West Coast. I had wheels off some old wartime fire pump trailers, and the ability to fabricate the necessary steelwork. To ensure that what I proposed doing, would be legal on the road, I went to the local Police Station.
Me - "How wide can I make my trailer?"
Polis - "Oh, I don't know, how wide's a bus?"
Me - "It's going to have four wheels on two axles, close coupled. I know it'll need overrun brakes, but do they need to be on all four wheels, or just the front pair?"
Polis - "Laddie, yer makkin it affy complicated".

So I just went ahead and made it, and successfully towed the boat back and forward across the country for several years.
OK. It was 50 years ago, and things may have changed just a wee bit since then. ?

Surfacesub

Visit site
Actually its DVSA now, Depending on the numbers why not contact a few trailer manufacturers and see if you can buy trade to sell on with a markup.
Hi Biscuit,
If you end up buying ready made Ali trailers am I correct in assuming you have already sourced those currently available?

Biscuit1983

Visit site
Hi Biscuit,
If you end up buying ready made Ali trailers am I correct in assuming you have already sourced those currently available?
I have sourced those currently available yes, but looking into the profitability of making my own, for the smaller boats anyway, but having a hard slog getting any real information out of the DVSA, also have contacted a couple of trailer manufacturers to see about becoming a dealer, so looking at it from all angles for now.

prv

Visit site
having a hard slog getting any real information out of the DVSA

How about the VCA, since they’re the agency that certify new trailer designs? Their website struck me as surprisingly approachable, and they have special simplified schemes for small (NSSTA) and very-small (IVA) production runs.

Pete