Building road legal boat trailers

rafiki_

Visit site
How about the VCA, since they’re the agency that certify new trailer designs? Their website struck me as surprisingly approachable, and they have special simplified schemes for small (NSSTA) and very-small (IVA) production runs.

Pete
Yep, VCA is customer focussed as they compete with other EU Authorities. DVSA is a monopoly.

CLB

Visit site
After I had built a wooden Folkboat, the next thing was a trailer, so that I could tow her behind a Landrover, through to the West Coast. I had wheels off some old wartime fire pump trailers, and the ability to fabricate the necessary steelwork. To ensure that what I proposed doing, would be legal on the road, I went to the local Police Station.
Me - "How wide can I make my trailer?"
Polis - "Oh, I don't know, how wide's a bus?"
Me - "It's going to have four wheels on two axles, close coupled. I know it'll need overrun brakes, but do they need to be on all four wheels, or just the front pair?"
Polis - "Laddie, yer makkin it affy complicated".

So I just went ahead and made it, and successfully towed the boat back and forward across the country for several years.
OK. It was 50 years ago, and things may have changed just a wee bit since then. ?

Things may have changed, in so much as the answer to your two questions are very easy to find now (2.55m and all four), but I imagine an average non-traffic PC would still not know the answers off the top of his/her head.