Buckingham 20 restoration, formerly Plant Pot

waynes world

Visit site
Re: The plant pot

What a day it has been. With the brew lady going away for the weekend with the girls and me not feeling to well with getting dizzy and faint etc , mite be blood pressure all to cock i dont know, and funny do`s with the diabetes, prob doing to much, then the castors buckling under the boat.......sat down now for an early night to watch a film if i can work out how to turn the bloody telly on.

But for that it is all going good.

Not sure ifi have mentioned but i am going to make the canvas canopy myself......oh yes i must of as the reason i mentioned that i had started to make the cradles to move the boat.

A very helpful Tim on here ( Sarabande ) helped me out to find a sewing machine for the job and i wish i could do something to pay back the hassle i caused him. That will be here next week so will show that then, it was a task in itself to pay for it as it is coming from down south and i thick when it comes to banks and online lark, i managed to block our online bank account so this morning i shot down to the bank to transfer money for it. The bank clerk started to try to help me with the mess i made. OMG i didnt have a clue so i said T will sort it when she gets home...yes another mess up lol.

So the boat is now moved

t took some faffing as well. I finished the second cradle during the week after work and today i braced it up to keep the both together.

As i was let down again by so called mates i got my old faithful block and tackles to pull the boat around. Infact it was a lot better than man handling it around. Nice smooth and steady.

First strap to a brick pillar

tn_20170527_113925.jpg

It was going slightly out on line so then i strapped the the car wheel to bring it more level.

tn_20170527_121143.jpg

But it still needed to be held back a bit so i strapped the transom to the workshop......the hitch came in handy again

tn_20170527_121647.jpg

Near there

tn_20170527_123342.jpg

I had to use the gate post to pull it back a bit so i have room around the bow but after an hour or so faffing with it as the castors are crap cheap stuff and two buckled and one shredded its rubber ( well i got sick of jacking and turning the castors and this was its last turn ) I had to keep jacking the corners up to turn the castors in the right direction to help them.

I tied some 4x2 timber under the cradles in case the castors fully give way then there would only be 10mm to fall.

tn_20170527_132558.jpg

I jacked it all up and sat the cradles on blocks so it sits solid.

tn_20170527_152110.jpg

So sat in its new spot so i can measure up etc for the canopy. Looking forward to making it really. good to learn a new thing

I have been busy with other areas now it has moved with this and that. I gave the rear bilges another few coats of primer/paint so now 3 coats in all so plenty there.

I used Jotun Vinyguard Silvergrey 88.

tn_20170528_173626.jpg

Now then when i remade the transom and stern area i didnt think enough of where the canopy will fix to so as i sat chilling for a moments break i thought on and decided to do this.

tn_20170528_151342.jpg

No big deal of a job and near done now. I used a sheet of GRP i made ages ago to bond in and fill.

Once i had tapered back the edges i scraped off the CSM from some of the Combo matt and then fill out more with combo as i have rum out of CSM sheet.

tn_20170528_153850.jpg

tn_20170528_170427.jpg

tn_20170528_171450.jpg

I still need to do the edges tomorrow the same way to get a good solid bond.

tn_20170528_173400.jpg

Looks rough but it will be fine once finished ;)

Another small job was the Malaga 5 water heater which has been put in situ. Only small problem here is that the vent sits 170mm from the opening window and it should be 300mm in the fitting instructions. This window will not be used now and screwed shut for safety.

tn_20170528_142917.jpg

Now that i have finished out side i took some good side on the side and rear pics so i can have a go at putting together some ideas for the canopy.

What i am tempted to do is to extend the GRP top by around 150mm/6inch to give more cover for the captain and also fit a in a set of lights to light up the rear deck area.

Not a massive job but will need doing before i do the canopy.

Last edited:

Bouba

Visit site

What's going on? You said you weren't going to get ill doing that canopy
The canopy around the outboard well has to be well clear of it. Outboards at idle have their exhaust come out above the waterline and there have been cases of the exhaust gas blowing back into the canopy and killing the occupants

waynes world

Visit site

What's going on? You said you weren't going to get ill doing that canopy
The canopy around the outboard well has to be well clear of it. Outboards at idle have their exhaust come out above the waterline and there have been cases of the exhaust gas blowing back into the canopy and killing the occupants

Hi Bouba

Not even stated the canopy yet to get ill, it was being left to fend for myself for 3 days :rolleyes:

The engine well will be sealed as on the top will be a table and sound insulation in the well itself.

Hey if i do die on board at least i die happy as that means the boat is afloat and finished :)

Nike55

Visit site

Re The Plant Pot..

Be very careful when responding to the above request for contact regarding a so called 'TV program' - sadly there are a lot of whacko's using the net to find a way of ripping people off - it may be genuine or a scam so be careful with personal information.

TheOrs

Visit site

Re The Plant Pot..

Be very careful when responding to the above request for contact regarding a so called 'TV program' - sadly there are a lot of whacko's using the net to find a way of ripping people off - it may be genuine or a scam so be careful with personal information.

It might be a rip off or even worse, it could actually be a T.V. programme. The last thing I would want to do is get involved with those self-absorbed media idiots!

waynes world

Visit site

With the great British summer time there has not been as much done as I hoped, Oh and also shopping :sleeping:

After some time waiting for the Blast tanks to arrive I spent the most of a day messing about trying to get them set up and cut in/outs correct.

All running fine but for the tips that are a little big so as soon as i can I will be getting a new set.

I have a few massive tarps for the job aswell, need to get myself some proper PPE yet also.

tn_20170610_152444.jpg

As it has been not the best weather for painting and resin work I decided to modify the Bow roller I got. The reason for the modification is that I want the roller set higher as to increase angle down the the cleat in the locker.

If I find the roller needs the side higher again while in use i will sort that when needs be.

And the bolt holes were small for my bolts so a drill out to 8mm and chamfered to suit.

tn_20170611_172714.jpg

I lost the pin like I do, the drill bit is just for show ;)

tn_20170611_182931.jpg

tn_20170611_184153.jpg

This has been a job i have been wanting to do for a while now.

But can you guess what it is for ?

tn_20170611_133635.jpg

tn_20170611_135430.jpg

tn_20170611_141728.jpg

This is as far as i have got with it as it was done inbetween the rainy spells.

While the weather was fine i got the gas locker painted at last, but that was it. I was lucky wiht that as it started to rain not long after.

Parts needed.

tn_20170609_150540.jpg

Not going to bother showing the useless pipe bender i got from Machine Mart, it lasted all of about six bends now it makes flat spots. Get what you pay for as always.

This meant I could amend the mess up I did the other day when I drilled the holes for the gas line to low. Easy fix by drilling out a new disc and stuck in the hole with epoxy.

I made a bulkhead plate to make it easy to pipe it all up

tn_20170603_150651.jpg

tn_20170603_151607.jpg

The holes top edge should of been on the line above, not a clue why it drilled it there

tn_20170603_151622.jpg

You can see here where I fettled the hole in this bulkhead.

tn_20170611_172208.jpg

Test point fitted but waiting for the hose to the cylinder reg.

tn_20170611_172241.jpg

One line in place for the cooker, not fixed as yet but there it is.
tn_20170611_174939.jpg

Each appliance has its own feed, reason is so if one appliance goes faulty then I can shut of the faulty one and keep the other going.

The water heater and cab heater lines will be gong along the rib and down behind the water filler pipe under the floor and across the top of the bulkhead to the Port side. Out of the way but still accessible as there will straight pipe connectors fitted in the middle of the run. Least connectors the better so a new better pipe bender is needed now.

Afraid that is about it. Not much dome but all helps :)

longjohnsilver

Visit site

Many years ago, along with a mate, I bought about a thousand bronze drop nosed pins. Having sold about a dozen over 10 years we finally sold them at a profit for scrap. However I did retain a few, so if you would like one for your anchor roller, and I have the right size, I'll happily donate one to your excellent project.

waynes world

Visit site

Many years ago, along with a mate, I bought about a thousand bronze drop nosed pins. Having sold about a dozen over 10 years we finally sold them at a profit for scrap. However I did retain a few, so if you would like one for your anchor roller, and I have the right size, I'll happily donate one to your excellent project.

Very kind :) I will measure the rollers hole and let you know.

Thank you :)

Hadenough

Visit site

It is isn't it? I love the enthusiasm and persistence of the man. By the way, love the treatment of the gas bulkhead fittings, why didn't I do that?

PS, ten out of ten for the honesty about drilling in the wrong place. How often do you do that? As I get older it is something like 3/10 so I've got to the stage whereby I think of the making good along with the main plan.

Last edited:

longjohnsilver

Visit site

Very kind :) I will measure the rollers hole and let you know.

Thank you :)

Over many years I've also got lots of other bits and pieces gathering dust in my garage. Maybe you could post a list of what you're looking for and if I've got something then I'll send it on to you. My other half will be pleased to see a reduction in my hoarding:)

waynes world

Visit site

It is isn't it? I love the enthusiasm and persistence of the man. By the way, love the treatment of the gas bulkhead fittings, why didn't I do that?

PS, ten out of ten for the honesty about drilling in the wrong place. How often do you do that? As I get older it is something like 3/10 so I've got to the stage whereby I think of the making good along with the main plan.

It happens all to often, not drilling holes so much but cutting and trimming, I get carried away at times. I mess up mainly when rushing to get things done.

The project is at the point so close yet so far I just want it done NOW. Saying that I have decided not to rush things recently as it doesnt help and it will be done in good time.

Over many years I've also got lots of other bits and pieces gathering dust in my garage. Maybe you could post a list of what you're looking for and if I've got something then I'll send it on to you. My other half will be pleased to see a reduction in my hoarding:)

I cant think of much but here goes.

A few down lights/spot lights for the canopy for deck lighting.
Eyeball light for the galley
Four LED down lights for the cabin area.
rear deck lights.
Heads lights
Horn
Blue and white fenders. 4 off.
Birth lights.
Coat hooks
Heads corner sink and tap

Well I will take that `cant think of much` back lol.

I will PM you my address in a bit , just off to the chippy for Tea :)

waynes world

Visit site

That box I started to make I got it finished yesterday and today after work as it has been nice.

It is for the Teleflex Morse control.

I couldnt think where to fit it so this was the spot i decided on in the end.

A bit of a cit into the side so the forward throttle can be pushed forward with no interference on the bulkhead or dash.

tn_20170614_180832.jpg

tn_20170614_181720.jpg

Laminated inplace before skimming over to make good, well better. I think it needs a bit more now there is primer on it, as always that it what a coat of paint does.

tn_20170614_183610.jpg

tn_20170614_182906.jpg

tn_20170615_174510.jpg

tn_20170615_174506.jpg

tn_20170615_174529.jpg

I think it suits, if not tough as it stays now lol.

Besides that I got a bit more done so in hope I may be able to get some painting done this weekend.

I have received some bit n bobs like a nice big tarp and blasting new tips so I am in for a busy weekend if all goes to plan :)

Bouba

Visit site

What's your plan for the steering system? From personal experience I can say that cable steering is the pits. Hydraulic is really nice

waynes world

Visit site

Thanks V, It is them areas that really get me, i need it to be looking half decent, that why T calls me Faffer lol.

Hi Bouba

I have the cable steering for it. Hyd sounds good but how would i run that for an outboard?

Bouba

Visit site

Thanks V, It is them areas that really get me, i need it to be looking half decent, that why T calls me Faffer lol.

Hi Bouba

I have the cable steering for it. Hyd sounds good but how would i run that for an outboard?
The hydraulic system is not run from the motor, its manual, the power comes from turning the steering wheel.
Cables are hard to turn and they get harder and harder until they seize up

waynes world

Visit site

The hydraulic system is not run from the motor, its manual, the power comes from turning the steering wheel.
Cables are hard to turn and they get harder and harder until they seize up

Sorry i didnt mean how the hyd system was run from the outboard but how it works to run the outboard.

I will look into it. Depends on cost more than anything.

Just looking into rebuilding my old Daiwa Moonraker beachcastor, to many things to as always.

Bouba

Visit site

It's a hydraulic ram that connects to the back of the outboard in the outboard well. It does cost more than a teleflex cable and in the cables favor it works better the smaller the outboard, and if you oil it up every time you leave the boat for an extended time. And you can get an automatic oiler system for a cable