Bucket List of UK Races for mere mortals....

roblpm

Visit site
Imagine a fellow has a 35 foot cruiser racer which he runs on a tight budget. He sets off for a few years to complete the UK's races for people who don't have carbon sails. What would be on his list?

flaming

Visit site
Does this imaginary friend prefer inshore or offshore racing?

And if inshore is he most concerned with the quality of the racing, or the overall "regatta experience"?

roblpm

Visit site
Does this imaginary friend prefer inshore or offshore racing?

And if inshore is he most concerned with the quality of the racing, or the overall "regatta experience"?

Aha. Both I think. Probably regatta experience.

But I'm not sure you are qualified to respond as you are a top RORC sailor and way out of the imaginary friends league....... Think about the lower end of your racing experience......

flaming

Visit site
Aha. Both I think. Probably regatta experience.

But I'm not sure you are qualified to respond as you are a top RORC sailor

Really am not...

I'm very much an inshore monkey. When I go offshore I like sprayhoods, cooked meals, warm bunks and turning the engine on when there's no wind. Not freeze dried food, "sleeping" on the rail and spending days looking at my own reflection with a windseeker up!

For regatta experience then the absolute top of the list has to be Darmouth week. Really big cruiser classes and takes place at the same time as all the rowing etc, so the whole town is a festival.
Then I think that every racer has to do Cowes at least once, it might be expensive and it might be a bit corporate, but there is always great racing right through the fleet and the shoreside stuff is actually pretty good, if expensive.
Then Round the Island race and some of the JOG inshore series, plus maybe the ISC coastal (or whatever they call it) series - i.e. nab tower race. For the longer but still essentially daylight racing. Then really just take your pick of the longer stuff, there is a lot of it around.

That's just what I have personally done and would recommend for that type of boat, I'm sure others will have tried different stuff!

lw395

Visit site
Personally I'd skip Cowes unless in an OD fleet.
RTIR.
Dartmouth, Cork.
Fastnet 2 handed
Bit of JOG

Whatever winter and spring series is convenient and offers some similar boats.
The AWB-with-Dacron-Sails Nationals?

Or use your cruiser for cruising and get some proper racing in the winter, weekday evenings etc with a dinghy where you can afford a competitive ship?
Or dayboat or model yacht even...

savageseadog

Visit site
Some of the big regattas like Cork and Cowes are really expensive these days, I look at the "entertainment" on offer and wonder if it's worth it. Some of the Irish regattas are good and Scottish ones too. There's the Welsh IRC Nationals at Pwllheli.

roblpm

Visit site
Ok great stuff. How about any cruiser type offshore stuff. The st kilda race that we failed on recently for example.

Yachting monthly triangle? What's that about?

Some others?

Does anyone do the fastnet 2 handed yo complete it rather than competing? As I don't think I (i mean the imaginary friend) will ever have the budget for a complete suite of racing sails......

mrming

instagram.com
You could add the Scottish Series and West Highland Week to the list. Have never done the latter but haven't missed the former in many years. Very nice scenery and good craic ashore. Dun Laoghaire Regatta (Dublin Bay) also seems to be going from strength to strength.

roblpm

Visit site
You could add the Scottish Series and West Highland Week to the list. Have never done the latter but haven't missed the former in many years. Very nice scenery and good craic ashore. Dun Laoghaire Regatta (Dublin Bay) also seems to be going from strength to strength.

Yes interesting....... I live in Edinburgh and have kids and work at the moment...... Come 5 years when i have reduced both the west coast might be fun for a few seasons with a trip to Ireland. I have useless / no racing crew though so 2 handed stuff would be ideal.......

Hadenough

Visit site
Slight thread drift but is there a definitive source of summer events on the south coast - so I can avoid them. No offence but as a cruiser not interested in racing or regattas, life can be difficult if we tip up at the wrong time :)

flaming

Visit site
Slight thread drift but is there a definitive source of summer events on the south coast - so I can avoid them. No offence but as a cruiser not interested in racing or regattas, life can be difficult if we tip up at the wrong time :)

You have a funny way of ingratiating yourself to people who's advice you then seek.

And you lot do this in the same space as normal people!
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthrea...ange-in-the-last-20-years#6ku9MRDFpujaL3SW.99

roblpm

Visit site
Hi Hadenough. SCARA publish the complete Solent race calendar on their website http://www.scra.org.uk/web/code/php/main.php?section=home

To the original question; among all the recommendations so far I'd add a Channel crossing with the JOG fleet, especially if it's your imaginary friend's first experience of night sailing offshore across the shipping lanes.

Yes a season or two in the solent looks inevitable in the long run?

I now live in the icy wastes of Scotland. Used to sail up and down Portsmouth Harbour in the rain in my dads eventide when i was a kid though so will be 40 years between my solent sails!

Judders

Visit site
I think everyone ought to do Cowes once. I'm not a massive fan myself but it's a big regatta for good reasons.

I agree with Flaming re Dartmouth. I have also enjoyed a couple of Torbay Weeks in the past. Both have PY classes if you're not too serious.

Round the Island is another one that I'm not a fan of but has to be on a bucket list.

I've never actually done a Tattinger Regatta out of Yarmouth but it's the highlight of the year to many.

JOG has some excellent weekends. Cowes-Yarmouth-Cowes for the drinkers and Cherbourg at Easter is a good way to start your cross channel sailing.

Ramsgate Week has a good reputation for the craic, as does Falmouth. Sadly Burnham is, I am told, not what it once was.

If I had a bigger boat, say around 35', I'd be getting over to France and doing the Tour des Portes or the Tour de Finnisterre too.

lw395

Visit site
Yes a season or two in the solent looks inevitable in the long run?

I now live in the icy wastes of Scotland. Used to sail up and down Portsmouth Harbour in the rain in my dads eventide when i was a kid though so will be 40 years between my solent sails!

If I lived in real icy wasteland, I'd have a go at ice yachting.
I've only seen them in action once, they overtook a train I was travelling on.

I think it's good to have a go at as many different facets of sailing as possible.
After one too many Cowes Weeks, a dinghy nationals is a great regatta.
When you've sailed around triangles more times than you can count, try a JOG cross channel.

Racecruiser

Visit site
We're doing Saturday of the Royal Solent Taittinger Regatta as it is also the 2nd day of the Solent IRC series although I see entries via that route have not yet fed through to Royal Solent. Looking forward to it and I see over 170 entries across all sorts of boats so that must be an indication of a good event.

Haven't done Cowes or the RTI for years but recently I think hmmmm shame we aren't taking part when I see the coverage! Definitely worth doing both perhaps on someone else's boat!

Very happy to give another plug for JOG inshore and offshore - competitive racing and a sociable atmosphere. Fecamp last weekend which was great although a disappointing entry in our class. One of those sails to remember in the winter - downwind and an evening start in shorts later with a full moon and amazing night sky - before it went a bit foggy. Fecamp is pretty much access all tidal states these days after dredging and they gave the fleet free berthing!

Ramsgate week is on at the moment - we enjoyed the one time we did it.

Dino

Visit site
Some great options in Ireland. Dun Laoghaire and Cork are good but the stand out IRC event has to be Sovereigns Cup in Kinsale. 4 days of really good big fleet racing. They do white sails also. Kinsale is a lovely seaside town with really good restaurants and bars. And KYC is a lovely club.
The Dun Laoghaire to Dingle is a great race also. It's a nice length when compared to the Round Ireland and you end up in the lovely town of Dingle.
The ISORA series on the Irish Sea might be worth a look if you're interested in some shorter Offshore racing.
A great season would be:
Scottish Series
Lambay Race - Howth
Dun Laoghaire to Dingle
Sovereigns Cup Kinsale
DL Regatta
Calves Week in West Cork
Then go cruising West Cork and Kerry