BSS Query, unclear in the documents.

nrbx

Visit site
Hi Everyone, particually the majority of you who know more than me!

I am getting my boat ready for a BSS (British Safety Scheme) and I have everything covered bar one aspect.

My engines have trays, in essense under the engines, but there are 8 drain holes from these in to the main bilge.

I understand i either have to fill all these holes or put a filter on my bilge pump.

The easiest and cheapest option would be to filter, however the cost of filters to cope with 3700 gph is absolutly mad.

Would it be acceptable to mount a filtered 800 gph general use bilge pump, and then the 3700 gpm pump about 8-10cm higher to come on only if the 800 gph can't cope and be unfiltered.

Clearly this would be safest and most reliable as we all know the filter will clogg up pretty quick in the event of a serious leak.

So the question is, will this method pass the BSS?

I have no gas on board, so i assume the main other things to do are, fire extinguishers, copper pipe to the eberspatchers, and labels where needed?

Many thanks in advance!

neale

Visit site
The research I carried out before writing the BSS feature in Feb's MBM leads me to believe that your plan would work. Having said that I found that each BSS examiner has a slightly different take on various issues and you may get one who doesn't like your system.

If you send the question to: bss DOT enquiries AT boatsafetyscheme DOT com

They will give you an answer which, if it is yes, should be more than enough to convince the examiner that it is ok.

nrbx

Visit site
Cheers, I have emailed to get a sure answer.

Thank you both for the advice, lots of conflicting later points on 9.1.1 regarding filters of bilges.

Id imagine as the engine bay is completly sealed from the rest of the boat it can be argued the entire area is the engine tray.

neale

Visit site
Cheers, I have emailed to get a sure answer.

Thank you both for the advice, lots of conflicting later points on 9.1.1 regarding filters of bilges.

Id imagine as the engine bay is completly sealed from the rest of the boat it can be argued the entire area is the engine tray.

That is true but it would only work if you removed the bilge pimp from the engine room altogether.

neale

Visit site
I heard some think about removing the bilge pump for the test and then reinstate afterwards

It is true. They can only assess what is on the boat on the day of the test. It wouldn't be difficult to get around many of the regulations by simply removing/disconnecting etc etc, but I'm with the Major on this one. Most of the rules are there for everyone's safety and for the protection of the environment. Both good reasons to make the required changes to comply.

rafiki_

Visit site
I had some problems with my boat on compliance, and found talking to the BSC engineer directly to be very helpful. I had 3 issues, he dismissed 2 immediately on the holding tank valve, and battery isolation, and was very helpful in the final resolution of the last issue, the WIF sensors in the fuel filters being plastic.

JKay

Visit site
That is true but it would only work if you removed the bilge pimp from the engine room altogether.

Thats exactly what I do and re instate after the test,others put a roasting tray siliconed under the engine sump my feeling is the BSS haven't thought that one through properly after all if the boat sinks the water will be full of oil etc
It seems to be a feeble effort of "acting Green" It takes no account of a major leak
I have never used my bilge pump as I pump into a bucket with a handpump and dispose of oily water at the local tip/garage

Bilgediver

Visit site

I am getting my boat ready for a BSS (British Safety Scheme) and I have everything covered bar one aspect.

My engines have trays, in essense under the engines, but there are 8 drain holes from these in to the main bilge.

I understand i either have to fill all these holes or put a filter on my bilge pump.

The easiest and cheapest option would be to filter, however the cost of filters to cope with 3700 gph is absolutly mad.

Would it be acceptable to mount a filtered 800 gph general use bilge pump, and then the 3700 gpm pump about 8-10cm higher to come on only if the 800 gph can't cope and be unfiltered.

Clearly this would be safest and most reliable as we all know the filter will clogg up pretty quick in the event of a serious leak.

I have no gas on board, so i assume the main other things to do are, fire extinguishers, copper pipe to the eberspatchers, and labels where needed?

Many thanks in advance!

I will have to read the latest BSS rules however in previous editions and also as required by inspectors I have met or who have done friends boats it seems the rules ask for a separate bilge for water and oil. In the case of older boats they will accept a containment device under the engine which will collect oil leaks and which should be kept as clean as possible. This means the bilge below always has clean water.

You refer to a filter. Bear in mind that you will not easily find a filter which will accept an oil and water mixture at 800 GPM and ensure only clean water is delivered overboard. Slower rates can be achieved using a separator device which also includes a peatmoss section to absorb oil. Oil soaked peatmoss is not considered as hazardous. I believe one maker is doing these now though easy enough to make using something like A 2 GALLON sized flare box.

The BSS inspector might not be up to speed on these things so may not accept it.

One other alternative for some is to stick a bilge sock in the bilge. This is not just an absorbent sock but preferably the type which has bugs in the middle. The bugs digest the oil and it converts to water and other harmless products.
I have one of these socks in my bilge and have been surprised how effective it is. It is now several years old. Again you might not get a BSS inspector to agree to this and so best to do what the rules say and have a containment tray under the engine WITHOUT holes .

www.maplemarine.com
More to the point, you will probably find large exclusions from your insurance if your pump is will-fully disconnected and the boat sinks as a result. You will probably find the machinery if not more is not insured in this case.
The insurance company will ask the surveyor to comment on the bilge pump arrangements.

JKay

Visit site
More to the point, you will probably find large exclusions from your insurance if your pump is will-fully disconnected and the boat sinks as a result. You will probably find the machinery if not more is not insured in this case.
The insurance company will ask the surveyor to comment on the bilge pump arrangements.

You only disconnect it for the test eg 20 minutes Doh!!!

Major Catastrophe

Visit site

That's interesting. So what you are saying is if you comply with the statutory BSS regulations, your insurance company will not insure you?

I would love to see that one challenged in court!

Elessar

Visit site

Many thanks in advance!

The holes in the trays from your engines, how far up are they?

On mine there is a limber hole from each engine bilge to the centre section where the bilge pump is. The limber holes are about 3" up from the bottom and this passed without comment.

So yes if I am about to sink (like I tried to do recently!) then oil will get into the centre section, but normally it is contained under the engines.

By the same logic, your solution sounds fine, but if the holes are high enough up may not be necessary.

tinkicker0

Visit site
I have a Bilgekleen filter installed in my pump outlet hose. Just a 500gph pump and the inspector is happy with that.

I also have a 1000gph , just in cases backup pump that can be plugged into a 12v outlet I installed and a loose coil of hose that can be put over the side.

I took the backup out of the locker and put it in the car boot prior to the inspection and the boat passed without problems.

If it aint there it can't fail.

Daft thing is I never yet had to use either , the bilge is always bone dry.