BSS - Gas Vent Pipe Material

G

Prepaing for a BSS examination - previous owner's survey said the pipe in the gas compartment that vents to the outside world was of an 'unsuitable material'.

It's a piece of clear re-inforced hose, it's attached to a vent hole in the bottom of the gas cylinder compartment and connects to a vent at a lower point in the hull and it's not blocked in any way.

Why would that set up be deemed 'unsuitable'??

G

My guess is that it's the clear hose that's unsuitable, not the set up itself. Clear hose is likely to be gas permeable and thus a non approved material. You just need to change it for a proper hose with approved stampings printed on it. Similar to the flexible pipe on your gas cylinders, just a bit bigger diameter. Should be able to get some from somewhere like a caravan or calor gas dealer. Don't forget to make sure it's secured with s\s hose clips. If it just pushes on and you rely on the tight fit to hold it, they won't like that either. Good luck. At least you'll know that the installation is safe once you've got your BSS Cert.

G

The drain hose should ideally comply with BS 3212/2 but this may not be readily available in the size you require. The hose bore depends upon the age of the boat and the number of gas cylinders stowed. Other acceptable standards are BS EN 1762, BS 4089 and ISO 7840. The hose should be secured by suitably sized, suitably tightened and corrosion free jubilee clips. Stainless clips of the right size with a band width of at least 8mm will be acceptable.

Don't think that once you have your BSS certificate your boat is safe! The BSS standards miss many significant areas of "safety" and major on pedantry!

graham

Visit site
Dreemer. I am a corgi reg. gas fitter but I dont do work on boats.The following is an extract from Corgi Gas Installer June 2001 edition re drains on LPG lockers in boats.

"A drain with an internal diameter not less than 19 mm,to disperse accumulations of gas needs to be provided and run to the outside of the boat.

The locker drain itself should be without low points that can hold water and at the bottom of the locker.The drain should not terminate less than 75 mm above the at rest waterline when the boat is fully loaded.

The storage locker ventilation and drain openings need to be sited at least 500 mm from openings into the vessel,while cylinders regulators and valves need to be readilly accessible."

Theres several pages of regs alltogether which dont make recreational reading .If you want any more info Email me at graham _ hodges @hotmail . com .I am not an expert on gas in boats as I dont do this type of work but I can look up info if needed.

As for the material all I can find is that it needs to be material suitable for carrying LPG.Copper pipe 22mm diameter would do or else try a calor gas company if you need something flexible.

G

I recently purchased some flexible supply pipe from a calor gas dealer, but when I asked for s/s jubilee clips he told me that jubilee clips were no longer acceptable on gas fittings. Can anyone confirm the truth of this? He sold me closed clips which he said could be 'crimped' with a pair of pliers. I had to use a vice.