Bruges

mainshiptom

Visit site
I have just come back from a summer holiday which was planned for Holland but on the third day trying to come out of Newport to Go north to Middleburg, waves were over 6 foot high and family voted against me, so in the canals we went, No charts or any information with us, we had to ask for instructions, finally arrived in Bruges!

Well what can I say they actually welcome liveaborads!

We met a British couple, which have just retired and cruise the European canals and they were offered a winter mooring for a sum that would only cover one night stay in England coastal marina.

Your maximum height should under 5 meters,
You have to pay to get rid of your rubbish and pay for water (1 Euro for 300 liters).
You need to have a pushbike.

But this is a really beautiful town with lots of good food and beer on offer.

Well recommended.

You can get in from Niwpoert, Oostende and zeebrugge but I would recommend Newport since not as commercial as the other ports.

Also we had to pay a quarterly license for 50 Euro, that’s 10 pounds a month with free moorings along the way with free water and electricity.

Beat that!

Tom

<hr width=100% size=1>

mainshiptom

Visit site
Well you need to take the mast down for that !

You can get in through Zeebrugge with mast up till just outside Brugges and you will have to stay on a canal !

Tom

<hr width=100% size=1>

squidge

Visit site
Hello again, Sorry you didnt make it to Holland but it sounds like you enjoyed you trip.We did bruges last year, lovely place.SWMBO found the chocolate shops v. interesting. To be honest we caught the train from Oostend as the bridges limited us with the mast up.
Glad you had a safe trip.
Regards
Squidge

<hr width=100% size=1>
sail.gif

mainshiptom

Visit site
Hi

What happened is .. We broke down outside whitstable just one hour out of Faversham! (09/08)

Had a great night in Whitstable, beer fireworks the lot!

Left for Niewport on morning tide 8 am got to Niewport at about 6 ish (10/08) had a good meal and some drinks at the yacht club.

Tried to come out on the 11/08 in the morning! Great big waves!

So five days in Bruges and the two days in OOstenade and then we did sprint up to Midelburg !

Met lots of nice people and did the islands in Verse Meer for one week and then got back!

Great time!

How was your trip?

<hr width=100% size=1>

squidge

Visit site
We had a great trip after a short delay due to the weather we left from Burnham on Sunday 3rd for Dunkirk arrived late and left early for Blankenburg.Just made it as a bolt on the alternator sheared and kept us there a day longer than planned.
On to flushing which was fantastic for the kids with its "Pirate theme park".Got to the Verse Mere and stayed on the "paradise" islands.Spend the rest of the time stopping off at the places around the Ostershield, Kiss whatsit and Goes.
2 weeks is just not enough, we loved Holland and are hopeing to go back next year.(now that we have some lock practice.)

<hr width=100% size=1>
sail.gif

mainshiptom

Visit site
We loved the islands in Veerse meer too, met lots of nice people and has a bbq every nite. some talk of wild horse but we never saw those.

Can not wait till next year !

<hr width=100% size=1>

squidge

Visit site
They are v.lucky to have such a nice place.I am pleased and surprised that it is not well known about outside the boating scene.We hope to pass that way again and head further up,We met a couple who said that it is even more beautifull further NE. if thats possible!.May be we will see you next year.

<hr width=100% size=1>
sail.gif

jp_riva_maniac

Visit site
Hello,
You forgot one important point.
In Belgium one is allowed to use "red" diesel fuel = de-taxed for boats. This is the diesel used for heating and agricultural vehicles, strictly verboten for cars.
In France, you will pay the full price, as for cars (even more expensive, since you can not fill up at the supermarkets as with a car)
What a shame the weather in Belgium is similar to the UK (I know, I am a Belgian).
I am making a study of fuel prices around the med. Nobody seems to have much info. As I am looking at a 150 litre/hour yacht, it is worth knowing.
Good luck,
Jean-Pierre

<hr width=100% size=1>