Brokers bull****

G

Re: what shocks me....

What shocks me is that a person spend £60,000.00 on a "toy" and not keep a service record yet spend £20,000.00 on a car and want a book with all the pages stamped and signed with mileages ETC

Ok theres no convenient "little book" to rubber stamp with a boat so what, call me paranoid but ALL my boats service invoices and maintenance receipts have been laminated and put in a file.

Why bother you say ? well put my boat alongside an identical model with an identical price tag but with no service record or maintenance log and I know which one would be left with the for sale sign dangling.

And some people ( myself included ) would actually pay more for a boat or car that had been properly maintained with all the history.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Hard and fast rules.....

Are there any? Shouldn't you try and speak to the owner and find out why the history only goes back 3 years? If you speak to him and he has plausible reasons, seems enthusastic and has looked after the boat well for the last three doesn't this count for something?

If he doesn't want to speak to you then i'd think twice about buying it.

Remember if you keep the boat for two years it will have five years of history when you sell it.

Me, I keep every invioce. Obviosly wouldn't show them to any potential purchaser until he's signed. Don't want to frighten them off!

chippie

Visit site
Re: Hard and fast rules.....

An approach I use is: What else can I get for this much money? It seems to give me a perspective for my valuation whether it is a house, car , boat, whatever.
With regard to the service history or lack of it I agree with those who say general condition is more important, bearing in mind that it may have an effect on a future sale. You have to decide whether you are the sort of person who will always have a nagging doubt about it or not.
Good Luck.