Brokerage

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
Due to the mad purchase of an elderly Coronet Oceanfarer I now have a Fjord 27 to flog off as that makes it all more affordable (at all?). Anyone recommend a brokerage on the river that isn't, well no doubt you have read the various rants of late. Preferably downstream of Windsor as I'd like to get the boat there this Saturday.

Ta Muchly

Doolittle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Give the guys at Penton Hook Marine Sales a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch! I've never found them to have much passion over a sales lead even when the (not insubstantial) was burning a hole in the proverbial. Walton Marine sales are highly recommended. 'Craig' couldn't have been more helpful.

Whoops! Edited to add: Scrub that! Walton Marine have a foot bridge over their entrance! Hardly suitable for the rag n stick jobbies! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

bradtarga34

Visit site
We had a boat on brokerage at Walton Marine for ages (about a year!) Although the boat was a sports cruiser and probably not that popular on The Thames and couldn't actually get a sale, they did look after her and kept her nice and clean, which is more can be said for a lot of other brokerages I have seen. As Doolittle says, Craig is very approachable and friendly. I eventually moved the boat down to Essex Boat Yards, who sold her in about 3-4 weeks.

1yppah

"would not bother with penton hook they have never impressed me?" well it depends on when.

Try Penton they have a good team and work hard, if not shepperton, for the tyep and age I woudl suggest Penton, they move that type of craft all day long.

If you clean it, leave it in a serviceable condition they will sell it, have you noticed they are only one of a few yards that will bother to take the covers of most boats on a weekend?

1yppah

What boat, where and when? a boat is only as good as the owner left it, in my view brokers get a hard time from people who generalize about a boat they once went to see.

A bad boat does not make a bad broker

jaws

Visit site
I went to Penton to look at Galleon boats. They just gave me a set of keys and told me to look round on my own. Boat was damp, covered in cobwebs, there was mold on the aft deck. This was a new boat too! Not a great first impression. Needless to say we looked elsewhere.

1yppah

This was a new boat and again not sticking up for them but, had the boat just got there, was it just about to have its pdi, was it on its way to a show? Agreed not a good impression but it could well have been "in transit" and just happen to want to view it then.

Just I think brokers get a very hard time for trying to please both vendor and buyer and its rare that you will do both.

However I think you made the right choice! as I can see your boat from my window!

Oen

Visit site
A very nice big flybridge mobo, left in a mucky state, and the broker knew precious little about it - even basics like proof of VAT status left him puzzled. Simply not good enough, even if it's close to the normal experience of the majority of brokers.

1yppah

Ok I get you on the VAT status , not good enough BUT the clean thing really gets me, how long does it take to get your own pride and joy to look like a shiny new pin? times that by 30 / 40 the number of boats in most brokers yards and its a full time job with a hefty team and a hefty wage bll.

If you want your boat to sell keep it clean and fully serviced, if you are selling your house you would keep it clean to make it more attractive, this is NOT the job of the estate agent so why should it be the responsibility of the broker.

A dust down by the Saturday boy is about as much as most yards can manage, a good old valet and top up will eat well into most commissions. It is worth noting I am talking thames boats / values.

DogsBody

Visit site
I agree on used boats its the owners responsibility not the brokers to keep it clean / presentable, although some of the boats on broker lists have been taken in part exchange and so do belong to the broker and should be being kept clean.

Referring to Jaws' comment. Penton Hook are the UK dealer for Galleon and since he was talking about a new boat he went to them to look at it must have been owned by PH, therefore I would expect them to keep it presentable. Mildew / mold on a new boat is just not acceptable.

Darren.

1yppah

Yes they were / are and from what I have heard Galleon also went through a "difficult" period and I believe the importer went bust, hence a couple of cheap ones available last summer. I actually looked as well and they were the property of the finance house and not PH according to the big fat sticker on the door. This may explain the bad way they were in. And no I dont work for Penton!

DogsBody

Visit site
Re: Finance House

Fair enough. I followed the take over of Galleon by PH as I had been interested in the boats and had been considering buying one for a while.

Darren.