Broken fuel gauge

Scapa86

Visit site
The fuel gauge for my Yanmar 3gm is broken, as in cracked, is it possible to just replace the fuel gauge or will
The fuel sender apparatus in the engine also need replacing?

peteK

Visit site
If its the glass thats cracked you may be able to open it and replace,plenty on ebay,look on utube how to do it.

penberth3

Visit site
The fuel gauge for my Yanmar 3gm is broken, as in cracked, is it possible to just replace the fuel gauge or will

On older gauges the glass itself could be replaced, assuming there was no damage to the moving parts. I guess everything is now glued or moulded together so you have to buy a complete head unit.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
I suppose it's in the tank; yep just check what type of sender you have, they are rated in Ohm some are 240-30 ohm, others 0-150 ohm (by memory). It might be written on the sender/gauge otherwise take a multimeter and check the change in resistance; on one type the resistance increases as the level decreases, on the other type it's the opposite. Even better, take the sender out and measure the two resistances with the floater fully up and fully down; as you're there sample a bit of the tank bottom with a stick, hose or something to have an idea of its conditions.
In the best tradition, there is no job done on a boat that does not lead to another one :D

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I've given up on fuel gages!

Following a conversion on a pals boat I am fitting one of these NMEA2000 - N3H Level Sensor next winter to my NMEA2000 network and get my chart plotter tell me how much fuel it thinks I have.

Refueler

Visit site

If its a typical dial gauge - then the sender need not be replaced .. they are pretty standard in way they work ... just note that USA versions do not work with EU / UK gauges and vice versa.

Scapa86

Visit site
Thank you all for the very helpful replies, I’m also not the fussed about the lack of a gauge but it takes 16 nuts to loosen to look inside the tank!!

Refueler

Visit site
Us too. We use a garden cane with that came with the yacht for just this purpose. Having been dipped in diesel regularly for 35 years it's not going to rot.

Pete

My Conq38 ... seller said gauge didn't work ..... Yanmar 2GM panel .... we filled tank and it showed full ... we used about 1/2 tank and it showed 1/2 tank ... mmmmm

Mobo I bought recently - has two 100ltr tanks ... and a wooden batten to dip the tanks via filler each side of cockpit. Being gasoline and plain wood sticks - the dips are difficult to read .. and I've lost my KolorKut paste !

I would really like to find a way of fitting remote gauges to those tanks !!

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I've given up on fuel gages!

Following a conversion on a pals boat I am fitting one of these NMEA2000 - N3H Level Sensor next winter to my NMEA2000 network and get my chart plotter tell me how much fuel it thinks I have.
Might be worth looking at an Actisense EMU-1 Sandy. Just fitted one to my boat, Lots of engine data etc on the plotter :

20240428_170455 - Copy - Copy.jpg