Brittany Ferries ban lifejackets on "safety" grounds

Sandyman

Visit site
I work their today and as you might have guessed its all changed with healthy eating, sport and fitness tests. However, they still do Divisions (full parade) when you can still see the work shy slinking off to some quiet corner.

Way off topic ho hum :) Spent about a third of my time in Collingwood. Hated the place. To big for my liking being a small ships man. Yes I was one of those 'slinkers' :) more commonly known as a loafing git :) I didn't like
Divisions & all that left right left right saluting stuff. I joined the Navy to see the world, not to play pretend soldiers :)
So Peter are you in the Navy or a Civilian worker? If the later do you know Dave Eaves who works there?.
A fellow Buff oppo of mine. Something to do with Catering.

Tintin

Visit site
Update.

At the ferry terminal.

Not content with taking the cylinders, the lifejackets were confiscated in the orders of the Duty Operations Manager Sue (who had been over ruled by France hierarchy).

When we asked where we could pick them up from the delightful check in person said that she hoped they lose them and that we then need them on our sailing passage.

Update tomorrow if / when we get them back.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
Went on their boat to St. Malo as part of a delivery crew about 18 months ago. We took lifejackets and a hired liferaft. No problems with officialdom and some very strange looks from some of our fellow passengers!

Uricanejack

Visit site
The Life jackets are covered by the IMDG code and are permissible for carriage on a passenger vessel.
As are life rafts and fire extinguishers, which do require DG shipping docs.
The personal life jackets are consumer quantity and unregulated, declaration is required nothing else.
WTF.

Tidewaiter2

Turning Left this season?-Nach Friesians?
Visit site
Update.

At the ferry terminal.

Not content with taking the cylinders, the lifejackets were confiscated in the orders of the Duty Operations Manager Sue (who had been over ruled by France hierarchy).

When we asked where we could pick them up from the delightful check in person said that she hoped they lose them and that we then need them on our sailing passage.

Update tomorrow if / when we get them back.

Sounds to me like time to talk to the Maire at destination, the Regional Prefecture(tourisme), the local Chamber de Commerce, stand back and watch the blood flow!
Never underestimate the power of the local CdeC against French bureaucrats-they do not like that sort of attitude-stops the tills ringing!

Tintin

Visit site
The Life jackets are covered by the IMDG code and are permissible for carriage on a passenger vessel.
As are life rafts and fire extinguishers, which do require DG shipping docs.
The personal life jackets are consumer quantity and unregulated, declaration is required nothing else.
WTF.

Yep. MCA confirmed that to me.

Clearly Sue's nose was put out of joint by me chatting to MCA and her boss.

Thankfully at Roscoff the staff couldn't have been nicer.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Went on their boat to St. Malo as part of a delivery crew about 18 months ago. We took lifejackets and a hired liferaft. No problems with officialdom and some very strange looks from some of our fellow passengers!
Since the events in Nice and Normandy this summer things have changed. We even saw a marked increase in activity by both Gendarmerie and police in the very rural place we sat at.