British Summer Time

D

Deleted member 36384

Certainly not. On the contrary, keep it year round.

Why keep our daylight out of synchronisation by an artificially applied additional hour? It would be more straight forward without the need to adjust times, even though the arithmetic is a simple as it gets.

I would support dropping the application of BST.

armchairsailor

Visit site
Why keep our daylight out of synchronisation by an artificially applied additional hour? It would be more straight forward without the need to adjust times, even though the arithmetic is a simple as it gets.

I would support dropping the application of BST.

Out of synchronisation with what exactly? We're the ones that are out of step with the rest of Europe. Now that we're getting longer days, BST still gives us ample early morning light (I get up at 6 to do the neddies, so I know!) and gives us a longer evening. For me that means the opportunity of getting down on the water after work. What's wrong with that?

The only reason why we have any standardised time at all is because of a need to make the railway timetables work back in the 19th century.

greenalien

Visit site
The thing that really annoys me is having to change the clocks twice a year; also, as I get older, I increasingly miss that extra hour of sleep that gets lost in the spring! GMT or BST, I don't mind, but please let's choose one or the other and stick to it!

macd

Visit site
We're the ones that are out of step with the rest of Europe.

A narrow view, surely? At the western end of the EU the UK shares a time zone with Portugal and the Republic of Ireland. At the eastern end, Greece's time zone is also different from that of the central EU countries. Is Virginia "out of step" with Wyoming? I suspect the inhabitants of both would say not.

The only reason why we have any standardised time at all is because of a need to make the railway timetables work back in the 19th century.

And if that need hadn't come along, another one certainly would have. The "only reason" is a trifle fanciful.

jamesjermain

Visit site
Errr! No one seems to have mentioned astronomical noon and all that. Since we more or less sit astride the zero meridian why don't we just stick to UT (I'll avoid upsetting the French by calling it GMT); that gets my vote. If you need extra daylight get up earlier. Most of us lie in bed for a good two or three hours while the sun is ablaze during the summer.

Coaster

Visit site
Errr! No one seems to have mentioned astronomical noon and all that. Since we more or less sit astride the zero meridian why don't we just stick to UT (I'll avoid upsetting the French by calling it GMT); that gets my vote. If you need extra daylight get up earlier. Most of us lie in bed for a good two or three hours while the sun is ablaze during the summer.

Hear, hear. Exactly right. Most people can adjust their times of doing things during the day to suit the daylight available.

doris

Visit site

Alright for you pensioner chappies!!!!!!!!
Us workers are a tad more constrained by the hours of society.
Roll on duouble summer time and single winter time.
(That means lining up with mainstream europe for those who are still n bed!)

Signed Out

Visit site
Get rid of it... Because I always seem to be on shift when the clocks go back, and off when they come forward, grrr.

finbarr

Visit site
But you can't necessarily adjust the hours you are working to suit. With BST it is like you magically gain a long evening. If the time wasn't changed and you decided to get up an hour earlier it would give you more daylight but not in a large free chunk after 5 or 6pm. Leaving it as BST (is it called Irish summer time here?) would be better but there would be some cold dark wet manky mornings in December.

E39mad

Visit site
Apart from the "puddle" sailors most of our time is governed by the tides and not by an hour on or off the clock so if sailing makes virtually no difference!

elton

www.boatit.co.uk
I think we should scrap it and replace it with something uniquely British, such as British Sicky Time which would mean the clocks go forward by 48 minutes in the summer. That should be enough to confuse foreign vistors and make them late for all their appoinments and trains.

armchairsailor

Visit site
I think we should scrap it and replace it with something uniquely British, such as British Sicky Time which would mean the clocks go forward by 48 minutes in the summer. That should be enough to confuse foreign vistors and make them late for all their appoinments and trains.

Love it. And make every 3rd Monday a day off by law! :D

snowleopard

Visit site
A narrow view, surely? At the western end of the EU the UK shares a time zone with Portugal and the Republic of Ireland.

In geographical terms France and Spain are on the same longitude as GB so we should logically align our with them rather than Ireland and Portugal that are to the West of us.

D

Deleted member 36384

Out of synchronisation with what exactly?

As has already been mentioned by another poster, mid day at the reference point when the sun is at its zenith. Its entirely reasonable to me that the longitudinal range of the UK uses the Greenwich meridian as its reference point.

As it is difficult to force fit a standard time zone across a wide geographical area, we should, in my opinion, stick to UTZ0 in the UK, which is good enough.

D

Deleted member 36384

Other threads that may be of interest