Bristol Channel anchorages

gtuson

Visit site
Heading up from Milford Haven to Sharpness in June,hoping that new edition of bristol channel cruising guide might have appeared by then. In the meantime, be interested in suggestions for anchorages - overnight and sitting out adverse tides -. Obviously weather/wind dependent etc, but interested in suggestions for suitable places on welsh side - we are shoal draught and can take the ground.

1937rogerdon

Visit site
The Yachting and Cruising Guide to the Bristol Channel produced by the Bristol Channel Yachting Association is available price £6.25 including P&P. we only have about 6 left.
contact me if you wish to have a copy

A

Alcyone

Hey, gt, I asked you before, did you ever come across a chap called Bennett at Llangwm, first name Tom? He had a boat called the Perky Puffin up there some years back, I think.

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
Since you can dry out then you have lots of options, so here are a few I have used:

Apart from the usual harbours and estuaries, most of the anchorages on the Welsh side are exposed to SW prevailing winds, but you can get protection at Caldey Is or Tenby Roads. Then the next place is behind Worms Head - very snug in a blow, and spectacular at any time /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Next one would be Mumbles, then finally off Penarth if you don't want to lock in to Cardiff Bay.

You could also head across to the north Devon/Somerset coast where Combe Martin,Porlock, Minehead and Blue Anchor Bay are fine in SWlies.

In fact, if you were going to make a gentle cruise of it you could do Milf Haven to Lundy, then to one of the Gower Bays, then say Watchet/Blue Anchor/Penarth. From there you can take the tide for HW at Sharpness, or stop off at Portishead before the tricky bit. That would be a series of legs of about 30 miles-ish, which would be just right for each tide without busting a gut /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you have a good enough wind to make against the foul tide, don't forget that further up, the wind over tide effect can kick up a very nasty sea. (You can tell where that is going to happen, because the sea is colour-coded. Brown /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Gwylan

Visit site
See that Tenby has been mentioned already. Try going up the N side of The Gower and dry out up there.

Then there is Port Eynon or Oxwich, amongst my favourites.

Swansea Bay, Barry - but avoid the area claimed by the Pilot Boats and the oik fishing outings and the RNLI - otherwise the club people are very nice.

On the other side, Minehead, but absolutely zero fun. Off Lundy, choose your spot carefully.

The funny little hidden place just to the E of Ilfracombe

Portishead is worth the money - great people and excellent facilities.

Make the most of it ....

A

Alcyone

I don't know, I only saw the second version, which was a 44ft ketch he sailed back from the Phillipines. He wrote the SEa guide to Pembs, if you ever came across it. Diving friend of mine, but a lover of all things nautical, and all round nice chap. He left Pembs and now lives abroad, i guess for about 3 years or so now, but I know he did have a yacht at Llangwm a few years back.

Gwylan

Visit site
That's the one!
And if you're really adventurous Lynmouth and Porlock Weir - do not go the the hotel - miserable bar keepers there and a rather inflated sense of their place in the hierarchy of service providers!

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
Sunset at anchor off Porlock, glassy sea, well-stocked ship's cellar........who needs the pub? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

porlockwier.jpg

And the next morning....

porlock1.jpg

A

Alcyone

What does seem a little odd is that, in the first picture, it seems to be flat calm, and yet he seems to be holding onto that line as if he is struggling to stay upright. Why would that be?

kds

www.canongrange.co.uk
Porlock weir;
"miserable bar keepers there and a rather inflated sense of their place in the hierarchy of service providers! "

I must say - we had a great couple of days there in February and enjoyed the service.

Don't forget that the entrance to Burnham on sea is fine after 4 hours tide unless you have a f5 with West in it - and it leads to a secluded river pontoon off the sailing club. We would make you welcome.
Ken

Other threads that may be of interest