Bringing Lines Aft

Stemar

Visit site
I want to bring the lines aft, so I can hoist, reef and drop the mainsail without leaving the cockpit. We have a Kemp boom with three lines (two reefs and an outhaul, though I wouldn't mind making it three reefs) running under sheaves at the clew, through the boom and over sheaves to come out of the bottom at the gooseneck. I'd quite like to use these lines, but single line reefing needs the lines to come out of the top of the boom at the gooseneck. Has anyone come up with an ingenious way to make this happen, or am I going to have to do what I did on my last boat and have the lines run along the outside of the boom?

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Perhaps this needed more explanation. Two of these in the boom allows reefing pennants to pass inside the boom, emerging at the gooseneck to standard turning blocks and from there upwards to the clew pringles or turning blocks

doug748

Visit site
On a Kemp boom I rigged the outhaul to a turning block on the side of the boom, leaving room for the three reefs. Not necessary for coastal work but there we are.

Stemar

Visit site
Perhaps this needed more explanation. Two of these in the boom allows reefing pennants to pass inside the boom, emerging at the gooseneck to standard turning blocks and from there upwards to the clew pringles or turning blocks
Ah, yes, I get it now. I was trying to figure out how they would work on the gooseneck casting! A bit rich for my budget, but there's a pile of scrap masts in a corner of the club yard, so I may be able to liberate a couple from there.

One, quite possibly silly, idea I had was that the boom looks symmetrical, so maybe I could invert it, so the sheaves would face up. It's a winter project, so I'm just gathering ideas now.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Ah, yes, I get it now. I was trying to figure out how they would work on the gooseneck casting! A bit rich for my budget, but there's a pile of scrap masts in a corner of the club yard, so I may be able to liberate a couple from there.

One, quite possibly silly, idea I had was that the boom looks symmetrical, so maybe I could invert it, so the sheaves would face up. It's a winter project, so I'm just gathering ideas now.
If you look around the boatyard you will find booms that have slots machined out without fairleads. Doing it by hand I didn't think I could get them smart enough but you may.

When I bought mine, nearly 30 years ago, they were considerably cheaper. I don't think I would pay the ridiculous amounts asked today.

steveeasy

Visit site
Stemar,
We are exactly in the same boat. Pardon the pun!!. I have a similar boom. Three reefing lines and an outhaul. I wondered if I could add sheives to the top and have two reefing lines going up to the reefing cringles ?

Steveeasy

Attachments

• IMG_1614.JPG
    IMG_1614.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 9

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Stemar,
We are exactly in the same boat. Pardon the pun!!. I have a similar boom. Three reefing lines and an outhaul. I wondered if I could add sheives to the top and have two reefing lines going up to the reefing cringles ?

Steveeasy
Your boom and gooseneck look later than mine but I did exactly what you say. I replaced the hooks with blocks that are shackled to the clew shackle.

steveeasy

Visit site
Your boom and gooseneck look later than mine but I did exactly what you say. I replaced the hooks with blocks that are shackled to the clew shackle.
Hi.
I understand myself now. However the lines leave the boom. Blocks can be fitted at the gooseneck and line head up to the clews and return.
Thanks
Steveeasy

Stemar

Visit site
Looking at the photo, you've got a hole that goes through the top of the casting. Could you fit the pin for the sheaves through this so they lead the lines upwards through the slots in the top? You'd only get the two reefing lines, but how often do you need to adjust the clew outhaul?

steveeasy

Visit site
Looking at the photo, you've got a hole that goes through the top of the casting. Could you fit the pin for the sheaves through this so they lead the lines upwards through the slots in the top? You'd only get the two reefing lines, but how often do you need to adjust the clew outhaul?
Yes I could do that. I think there is only room in a/the boom for 2 lines anyway. do you not have the same boom end fitting?. was going to use 2 line but just having 2 extra lines creates problems.

steveeasy

Other threads that may be of interest