Brexit and replacement parts from Germany

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
And the same applies for business in the opposite direction, supposedly?
A UK based retailer, like ASAP for instance, will have to collect import VAT for customers in 27 countries (at variable rates) and send it off to their respective tax authorities?
I think they will lose some customers. Or more likely perhaps, they will not accept orders from EU customers for values under the threshold?

Most online companies take payment by card, but don't do the admin of that themselves - they use a company like Paypal or Opayo (formerly Sage Pay) to do it for them. Hopefully when everything settles down these intermediary payment collecting outfits will be able to do it on behalf of the individual retailers. That's for VAT. I'm not sure how the country of origin duty will be collected.

st599

Visit site
And the same applies for business in the opposite direction, supposedly?
A UK based retailer, like ASAP for instance, will have to collect import VAT for customers in 27 countries (at variable rates) and send it off to their respective tax authorities?
I think they will lose some customers. Or more likely perhaps, they will not accept orders from EU customers for values under the threshold?

Not yet, the EU isn't changing until later this year. But yes, under 150 Euros will require a non-EU retailer to register for EU VAT, collect and pass on.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
Not yet, the EU isn't changing until later this year. But yes, under 150 Euros will require a non-EU retailer to register for EU VAT, collect and pass on.

I expect that the non-EU/UK retailers won't get up to speed on this until after the EU member states enact the legislation on the 1/7/2021. Then they will have more incentive to do so.

dgadee

Visit site
China is no worse than any other country. Sellers in the USA have done this for decades and suggesting China is any worse is pure racism and propaganda. I have never received a package from the US with a correct value listed, and quite a few American web shops actively encourage fraud on their pages and tell you in advance they plan to try to dodge duty and VAT on your behalf.

Never had that experience from US. Frequently - if not always - from Chinese purchases. Can't see where the racism is.

lustyd

Visit site
Can't see where the racism is.
He could just as easily have said it's a problem which has grown as a result of globalised Internet based shopping where vendors from all over the world under report values to avoid duty, tax, and shipping delays. He didn't, he had a dig at China specifically and tried to defend it with shoddy statistics. China is currently subject to a huge propaganda campaign from the west in an effort to slow or reverse their growth, a lot of what we see and hear about them is extremely distorted and needs to be pushed back.

Last edited:

dgadee

Visit site
He could just as easily have said it's a problem which has grown as a result of globalised Internet based shopping where vendors from all over the world under report values to avoid duty, tax, and shipping delays. He didn't, he had a dig at China specifically and tried to defend it with statistics. China is currently subject to a huge propaganda campaign from the west in an effort to slow or reverse their growth, a lot of what we see and hear about them is extremely distorted and needs to be pushed back.

But China's population has different races. Being Chinese is being a citizen of a country, not a race.

dom

Visit site
He could just as easily have said it's a problem which has grown as a result of globalised Internet based shopping where vendors from all over the world under report values to avoid duty, tax, and shipping delays. He didn't, he had a dig at China specifically and tried to defend it with statistics. China is currently subject to a huge propaganda campaign from the west in an effort to slow or reverse their growth, a lot of what we see and hear about them is extremely distorted and needs to be pushed back.

Easier to just say "Sorry Angus, I was a bit beside myself this morning", than hiding behind such geopolitical nonsense
:)

jonbclarke

Visit site
On the original subject, our suppliers in France have told us the following in relation to the delivery of occasional boat parts from them;

I am glad to confirm that this will not affect our direct delivery cost which remains the same.
However, it will impact a new cost to the customer of 63€ to make the custom formalities.

We also seem to be getting a 'brokers fee' as others have alluded to on this side of the channel of between £11-15. These are not high value items so in some cases these fees would easily be more than the cost of the item effectively doubling the cost.

Hopefully these costs will come down over time but as we'd have to pass these costs onto the end customer then it seems to me to just be increased cost for British consumers and by extension limiting choice to them.
Over time perhaps someone will set up an alternative supplier in this country and there is some 'benefit to the economy' in that sense although I still guess you'd ultimately end up with less choice for the same cost, even if some future British supplier, having done all the tooling, R&D etc for the same parts, does then manage to provide equivalent parts for the same price as they were available pre-Brexit.....

lustyd

Visit site
Please, find us the direct to consumer statistics. The only stats I could find on direct to consumer sales through Internet shopping show the USA is far and away the largest country of origin, while China was not even on the list. Confusing overall imports (which deal with tax and duty very differently) with direct sales is not helpful here.

dgadee

Visit site
I emailed SVB with my query and my home address. They replied promptly:

"Nothing changes, you will pay your regular VAT as we did before."

So NI continues as part of the EU.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
He could just as easily have said it's a problem which has grown as a result of globalised Internet based shopping where vendors from all over the world under report values to avoid duty, tax, and shipping delays. He didn't, he had a dig at China specifically and tried to defend it with statistics.
It's horrible when people support their arguments with facts, isn't it?