Brewing Up with an Inverter on a small boat

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I think TNLI was pointing out not a good idea to put in a dinghy.

Are you aware that when you use the term dinghy you are somewhat out of touch with the various types of smaller boats. I was talking about a 4.5m Rib with a 60 hp on the back. Or perhaps in your world this is a dinghy. Who knows

Bigplumbs

Visit site
So to be of a little help. Two pictures below. One of what I suspect most would see as a dinghy and the other of the type of boat I was talking about

Attachments

• dinghy.jpg
    dinghy.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Rib.jpg
    Rib.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

limecc

Visit site
Now we all like to have a brew up when on our boats. During lockdown I converted our old Toyota Previa into a campervan complete with separate leisure battery and charge circuit and a 3000 w inverter from ebay that cost about £40.00. In the van it works very well and boils a 900w Kettle with ease.

Now on our smaller boats where I don't want to carry a separate 'leisure' battery and I just fancy using the starter battery that is charged by the outboard and is 80 Amp hour to Brew up on the inverter. I fancy this as I think it is far safer than gas powered small stove on what is a petrol fuelled 4.5 m rib.

My Battery is in good health and I could even let the outboard run while I brewed up (Takes about 6-7 mins to boil 3 cup fulls). Obviously don't want to Brew up at anchor and then when I go to start find the Battery is somewhat flat.

I was wondering if anyone else with a small boat does such a thing.

This is the inverter I use if any one is interested. There are many others.

1500/3000W Car Power Inverter DC 12V to AC 220V USB Charger Converter 2 Socket | eBay
You found a much more sensible idea:
:D (y)

Flask for me though!