Brambles again

blackbeard

Visit site
I suspect there are 2 sorts of yachtsman:
those who admit to running aground, and
liars.

OK that may be a bit harsh, but really ...
... we all make mistakes, the brighter ones learn from them.

And if you are going to run aground then there are worse places than the Brambles.

PhillM

Visit site
Well all I can say is that on the first sail of last year, I very nearly ended up the same. I was heading out of Cowes for Thorn Knoll Green and miscalculated the strentgh of the flood pushing me East. When I realised that I was almost at West Knoll yellow mild panic set in. Engine on and sharp turn to port. Its the only time I've had need of Memory Map plotter on my iphone and was very glad to have it.

So, do I feel sumg for realising before it was too late... not one bit. I am sure that being grounded in f5 was not a happy experence and I feel for the family as a whole.

Seajet

Visit site
I know a couple of 'experienced cross Channel sailors' who somehow piled a 27' grp fin keeler onto the Winner at Chichester entrance, where the sand is like concrete ( I expect the Bramble is the same ).

The one who wasn't in charge at the time told me later how they'd seen the bottom flexing and cracks appearing as each big wave bounced her; they only just got away with it, sounded like a nightmare to me.

One thing I've always wondered about The Shingles opposite The Needles is that a while ago I read of someone leaving a cement mixer and various building junk there at a low Spring ( why, I forget ) - I've always thought it would really spoil ones' day to run into a cement mixer just under the surface !

Presumably long gone, but I aim to keep well clear and let someone else find out.

Judders

Visit site
A brief look at the membership list of the Shingles YC will reveal an emninent bunch of sailors indeed. We can all do it. Anyone who thinks they cant is a disaster waiting to happen.

islandsailor

Visit site
There but for the grace of god go I - nearly hit the rocks just outside Wooton in a RIB at 20 knots 15 years ago - just switched off for 30 secs - learnt from the experience - still makes me cold thinking of it. Lets give the guy a break.....

Cloona

Visit site
heard a story about a cross channel family trip that ended with skipper handing wife and baby daughter over to a ferry before carrying on ....

Bav34

Visit site
and very badly marked

Amazed that you think so.

Apart from being clear as day should someone bother to look at the chart, just from memory you have:

West Bramble

South Bramble

East Bramble

West Knoll

East Knoll

And a frickin great post to the South East of it where we get our BrambleMet info from.

How many more buoys do you think would be appropriate?

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
Amazed that you think so.

Apart from being clear as day should someone bother to look at the chart, just from memory you have:

West Bramble

South Bramble

East Bramble

West Knoll

East Knoll

And a frickin great post to the South East of it where we get our BrambleMet info from.

How many more buoys do you think would be appropriate?

This is the Solent. If you put a fence all the way round the Brambles someone would still manage to end up on it, probably mysteriously leaving the fence intact around them. I actually know someone who set off in his rib from Poole to go and see the Brambles Cricket Match a few years ago. When I asked him a few days later if he'd enjoyed it he told me he couldn't find it.

Seajet

Visit site
This is the Solent. If you put a fence all the way round the Brambles someone would still manage to end up on it, probably mysteriously leaving the fence intact around them. I actually know someone who set off in his rib from Poole to go and see the Brambles Cricket Match a few years ago. When I asked him a few days later if he'd enjoyed it he told me he couldn't find it.

Well it's understandable, given the large number of sandbanks in the middle of the 'oggin with cricket matches taking place...

Poignard

Visit site
Well it's understandable, given the large number of sandbanks in the middle of the 'oggin with cricket matches taking place...

I don't know why there is so much sneering at Solent sailors on this forum. We have a lot to put up with.

Not only do we have to cope with complicated tides, ships and chartered yachts trying to run us down, petty officialdom, fishing boats driven by blind men, pot buoys, high prices, arrogant snobs with blue ensigns and Breton caps, overcrowding, people racing all over the place, inconsiderate motor boat drivers, swimmers etc, but we are also likely to be whacked by cricket balls. :mad:

C

Chrusty 1

I don't know why there is so much sneering at Solent sailors on this forum. We have a lot to put up with.

Not only do we have to cope with complicated tides, ships and chartered yachts trying to run us down, petty officialdom, fishing boats driven by blind men, pot buoys, high prices, arrogant snobs with blue ensigns and Breton caps, overcrowding, people racing all over the place, inconsiderate motor boat drivers, swimmers etc, but we are also likely to be whacked by cricket balls. :mad:

Ah parsichops, I think you have just answered your own question really, I should like to take the opportunity to invite you to bring yourself and your boat to the Bristol Channel and approaches, to experience what sailing can be all about, freedom from all the above ills would be the first thing you will notice, and if you should see another boat it's a bit of an event.

I confess, I do find it very odd that so many people want to be sailing in the Solent?

Poignard

Visit site
Ah parsichops, I think you have just answered your own question really, I should like to take the opportunity to invite you to bring yourself and your boat to the Bristol Channel and approaches, to experience what sailing can be all about, freedom from all the above ills would be the first thing you will notice, and if you should see another boat it's a bit of an event.

I confess, I do find it very odd that so many people want to be sailing in the Solent?

A tempting offer but the Solent's main attraction for me is that it's not far to France!

aslabend

Visit site
In defence of the capt'n of Solu, if he's on his way from the Itchen to Newton, he would have been tacking out past Calshot in a southwesterly. Don't know what the tides were doing but all you need is a couple of things to take away your attention (big ship coming up the channel, race fleet coming from almost anywhere, kids being seasick.... you can take your pick) and it wouldn't take long for a 41ft yacht going at full chat to run out of sea. Everyone makes stupid mistakes, some more publicly than others.

Seajet

Visit site

Chrusty 1,

nice try but I've seen the Bristol Channel, and sailed a dinghy from Burnham - once - with the mud content of that fast flowing soup, I guess wheels are more useful than twin keels ?! :)

The Solent is great, I don't know anywhere else with such a choice of places to go; I hardly ever have a destination in mind at departure, just see how it goes once out there.

Giblets

Visit site
Chrusty 1,

nice try but I've seen the Bristol Channel, and sailed a dinghy from Burnham - once - with the mud content of that fast flowing soup, I guess wheels are more useful than twin keels ?! :).

I thought that once whilst driving over the Severn Bridge at low water! :eek:

prv

Visit site

Not much choice really - it's where I live.

Would be lovely if all the people who don't live here, but nevertheless keep their boats here cluttering the place up, decided to take your advice though :D

Pete