Bow to mooring with lazy lines, beginners advice

AdHut

Visit site
Being freshly qualified (day skipper) last May, we have enjoyed our first season sailing with a week charter in Croatia and a week in Spain. While we were in Spain we encountered a situation I feel I didn’t know how to handle correctly, and would appreciate some advice. Sailing a 2002 Bavaria 44, we had to dock on a very high pontoon bow to (otherwise it was to high for us to get off the boat) we lassoed the windward bow cleat, then as I would stern to but the boat into reverse to allow us time to pick up the lazy line. However due to the prop walk the boat pulled sideways leaving us in an angle to the dock. The only answer I had on future attempts was to get the bow line on, and quickly get the windward stern lazy line on. Are there any other options I could have tried. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2067.jpeg
    IMG_2067.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24

Arcady

Visit site
Being freshly qualified (day skipper) last May, we have enjoyed our first season sailing with a week charter in Croatia and a week in Spain. While we were in Spain we encountered a situation I feel I didn’t know how to handle correctly, and would appreciate some advice. Sailing a 2002 Bavaria 44, we had to dock on a very high pontoon bow to (otherwise it was to high for us to get off the boat) we lassoed the windward bow cleat, then as I would stern to but the boat into reverse to allow us time to pick up the lazy line. However due to the prop walk the boat pulled sideways leaving us in an angle to the dock. The only answer I had on future attempts was to get the bow line on, and quickly get the windward stern lazy line on. Are there any other options I could have tried. Thanks
You describe the situation well and I have found myself in a similar position before - and not really found a solution at the time. Much depends on the wind strength too, which you don’t specify.

The ‘easy’ option (i.e. the most obvious) is probably to reverse out and try another entry during which you contrive to pick up the lazy line before or at the same time as the bow line.

However, from the comfort of my current shore-bound bath tub, I could be persuaded that on picking up the windward bow line you should then attach it to the windward midship cleat (you might need to extend it) and gently reverse against that. In theory you will pivot around that midship cleat with the stern pointing more to windward which will pull you up towards the windward lazy line.

In practice of course so much depends on hull configuration, amount of prop-walk, wind strength, and whether you have a boat tight against you to leeward. It might also require some pretty deft rope work to extend the windward bow line in the manner described.

So much for the theory. If you find yourself in that situation again, do let us know if this worked!

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
What buoy? This is Med mooring with lazy lines. And the boat size is irrelevant.

@AdHut I don’t understand why you went in bow first. That charter boat would have been supplied with a gangplank (or maybe had a passarelle) to access the dock from the stern. Bow-in is very unusual though not unknown, you’d then need a bow ladder to get off.

Normal practice is to reverse in, one crewman positioned at the windward quarter with a boat hook picks up the windward lazyline first then walks it to the bow to make it off loosely; stern crew lasso windward stern line first then second stern line to hold stern in place. Motor forward gently, secure lazy line. Motor astern against lazy line, haul in and secure stern lines to position stern close to quay / pontoon. Add second lazy line if available. Easier said than done but practice makes it easier.

Last edited:

WindyWindyWindy

Visit site
Tie on both sides before you start to pick up the stern line.

Midships lines should work better with bow to, but you'd need bow lines after.

Going bow to you can't see the distance from the Quay, so communication and stress will rise accordingly. It's much easier stern to even if you're left climbing up the pushpit..

In Spain you normally get marineros to help you.

Adam H

Visit site
You describe the situation well and I have found myself in a similar position before - and not really found a solution at the time. Much depends on the wind strength too, which you don’t specify.

The ‘easy’ option (i.e. the most obvious) is probably to reverse out and try another entry during which you contrive to pick up the lazy line before or at the same time as the bow line.

However, from the comfort of my current shore-bound bath tub, I could be persuaded that on picking up the windward bow line you should then attach it to the windward midship cleat (you might need to extend it) and gently reverse against that. In theory you will pivot around that midship cleat with the stern pointing more to windward which will pull you up towards the windward lazy line.

In practice of course so much depends on hull configuration, amount of prop-walk, wind strength, and whether you have a boat tight against you to leeward. It might also require some pretty deft rope work to extend the windward bow line in the manner described.

So much for the theory. If you find yourself in that situation again, do let us know if this worked!
Thanks, I am out there again next week and will try this.

Adam H

Visit site
What buoy? This is Med mooring with lazy lines. And the boat size is irrelevant.

@AdHut I don’t understand why you went in bow first. That charter boat would have been supplied with a gangplank (or maybe had a passarelle) to access the dock from the stern. Bow-in is very unusual though not unknown, you’d then need a bow ladder to get off.

Normal practice is to reverse in, one crewman positioned at the windward quarter with a boat hook picks up the windward lazyline first then walks it to the bow to make it off loosely; stern crew lasso windward stern line first then second stern line to hold stern in place. Motor forward gently, secure lazy line. Motor astern against lazy line, haul in and secure stern lines to position stern close to quay / pontoon. Add second lazy line if available. Easier said than done but practice makes it easier.
Unfortunately, no gangplank was supplied, so there was no choice but to go bow first or we had a 1 1/2 meter climb to get off.

westernman

www.devalk.nl

If there is any wind, it is very hard not to end up sidewise in the dock.
So, come in close to the downwind boat so you can "lean" on that (with adequate fenders of course), while calmly (!) getting the lazy line onto the windward side of the stern.

To be a real professional, whatever happens, you just need to make it look like that was what you intended all along.

capnsensible

Visit site
Try this. Just get the boat alongside the next door boat. Use a line from your centre cleat to your neighbour. Boat won't go anywhere. The sort out shore lines and avoid getting lazy line wrapped in prop.

Amongst us Gib based instructors, this was always nicknamed 'the skippers line' and saved several million embarrassing moments....... :)

There are a lot of ways to finesse this under varying berthing situations, but that's it in its simple form.

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Depending on conditions we have had someone hold/push the pulpit while the helm turns Ryder full over and applies a sharp blip on the throttle. So long as short it shouldn't worry the pulpit holder and the stern will come across ready to pick up the lazy line.