Passage through The Swellies - Lower Water Neaps check/advice

peteK

Visit site
Although high water slack is 2 hrs before high water Liverpool, I usually go through 2.5h- 3hrs before Liverpool coming from sw direction as the tide carries you up to Beaumaris.I would aim to arrive at the road/ railway bridge earlier rather than later,10-15minutes late and you will have a strong tide against you.
I wouldnt go over Caernarvon bar in a F5 wind over tide if its westerly there is a nice anchorage at Abermenai to starboard just before you commit to Belan narrows.

Last edited:

Marceline

Visit site
thanks again Pete - really appreciated (y)

I guess we'll see how the weather is early tomorrow and go for one option or the other

Marceline

Visit site
Well we’re now anchored at Menai Bridge moored ready to head back through The Swellies @2015 in a couple of hours.

HUGE thanks to everyone for all your advice and help- we managed another safe LWSlack passage and tbh now understanding that it’s possible to go through at LWSlack when it’s not on Neaps (I thought it always had to be) will really open up our possibilities for day sailing around here - so many thanks for that

IPsailor

Visit site
Congratulations - there’s lots of great day sailing to be had throughout the Straits. I’ve attached another of the ex-Conwy Yachting sheets that the late and inspirational sailor Neil Shea gave me when doing a course with them. Essentially it shows how and where the “slack water” section is throughout the Straits during the tidal cycle together with the strength and direction of flow at various points along the straits. We found it useful during our time sailing that area.
Andrew

Attachments

• Menaitidalstreams.jpeg
    Menaitidalstreams.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12

TSB240

Visit site
My late father Alun Taylor and great uncle Billy Edmondson were the originators of this tidal guide for the Strait. Many a regatta race was won by large margins using it.
I have an original copy made on a " bander" drawing copier pre photocopier era!

Both would be delighted that it is well used. They made 100 copies and were available from the Beaumaris RNLI Blue Peter Station for a small donation.

It is based on HW Liverpool. There is no correction for BST!

Congratulations - there’s lots of great day sailing to be had throughout the Straits. I’ve attached another of the ex-Conwy Yachting sheets that the late and inspirational sailor Neil Shea gave me when doing a course with them. Essentially it shows how and where the “slack water” section is throughout the Straits during the tidal cycle together with the strength and direction of flow at various points along the straits. We found it useful during our time sailing that area.
Andrew

TSB240

Visit site
Congrats on the low water passage. Trouble is neaps hardly reveals all the dangers! Did you find you could make way against the last of the flood when you returned to Felinheli?
For your info the best overnight mooring on the Strait is in Rowen Bay just south of Dinas yard. Now these are three private moorings in this bay. One usually has a large steel trawler style MB called Animosity, there are two others. The one nearest Caernarfon is mine. You are welcome to use it for day or overnight but best check with me first. I will PM my phone number.

The middle mooring is owned by a friend and is also often vacant.