Bought a Never splashed Colvic Countess 33 on eBay, Looking for infos

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com
Mike, do you happen to know how many of this model did Colvic make?

Hi Greg

The original company Ardleigh Laminated Plastics go back to the early 60's and in February 1964 became Colvic Craft Ltd.

They fast became a truly International company with many famous design house names both in yachts and inshore/offshore powerboats and cruisers like the Colvic Atlanta, Colvic Sunquest, Colvic Seaworker and Searider, Colvic Traveller, Colvic Watson, Colvic Liberator, Colvic Victor, Colvic 23,Colvic Countess 33, 35 &37 and the famous Clipper 60 yachts for the Clipper Round the World Yacht Race just to name a few
Colvic Craft even built a 35 knot 16m high speed craft for testing by the US Navy and in September 1996 they received one order worth £5 Million for 10 off 18 m Clipper racing yachts, they also built many Blue Water Sailing Boats and power boats from 20’ to 65’.

The Colvic Countess 33 mould's were made by Colvic Craft from 1980 to 1988 (note these are the Mould dates not the launch dates) as to how many I am not an expert on the Colvic Countess as I specialize in Colvic Watsons but from my current database of mould/HIN numbers not that many Colvic Countess 33 were built and at present looks like no more than 25 as the Colvic Countess 28 was more popular financialy.

However there was also a few but not many of the Colvic Countess 35 built in 1985 and a few Colvic Countess 37 built in 1986.

Sadly Colvic Craft like many other boat builders got into some financial difficulties after loosing a lengthy high court action and this was probably the beginning of their financial problems and the company finally went into liquidation on the 8th November 2000 with a job loss of over 50 people.

Mike

GregOddity

Mermaid hunting in Antartica. No luck so far.
Visit site
Hi Greg

The original company Ardleigh Laminated Plastics go back to the early 60's and in February 1964 became Colvic Craft Ltd.

They fast became a truly International company with many famous design house names both in yachts and inshore/offshore powerboats and cruisers like the Colvic Atlanta, Colvic Sunquest, Colvic Seaworker and Searider, Colvic Traveller, Colvic Watson, Colvic Liberator, Colvic Victor, Colvic 23,Colvic Countess 33, 35 &37 and the famous Clipper 60 yachts for the Clipper Round the World Yacht Race just to name a few
Colvic Craft even built a 35 knot 16m high speed craft for testing by the US Navy and in September 1996 they received one order worth £5 Million for 10 off 18 m Clipper racing yachts, they also built many Blue Water Sailing Boats and power boats from 20’ to 65’.

The Colvic Countess 33 mould's were made by Colvic Craft from 1980 to 1988 (note these are the Mould dates not the launch dates) as to how many I am not an expert on the Colvic Countess as I specialize in Colvic Watsons but from my current database of mould/HIN numbers not that many Colvic Countess 33 were built and at present looks like no more than 25 as the Colvic Countess 28 was more popular financialy.

However there was also a few but not many of the Colvic Countess 35 built in 1985 and a few Colvic Countess 37 built in 1986.

Sadly Colvic Craft like many other boat builders got into some financial difficulties after loosing a lengthy high court action and this was probably the beginning of their financial problems and the company finally went into liquidation on the 8th November 2000 with a job loss of over 50 people.

Mike

Thank you mike, we’re making a little book for ourselves about our Colvic Countess 33 Oddity, keeping a record of everything. That will be added to the history of our vessel. It’s especially nice to know a bit about not only the vessel but also the background. And we had a total blank when we found her. I just recognised the name Colvic and remembered the reputation they have as solidly built blue water cruisers.
You will be there as well, as the person that supplied us the info, so we can remember it when we are reading it in our not so younger years and tired of trying to lift cats by the tail and failing miserably.

GregOddity

Visit site
I am sure there emus the a spare jet engine lying around some where in. junk yard . Did Rover not make a car with one ?

You could run it on Lamp oil

The jet engine would demand a longer waterline and stabilizing fins aft and titanium/carbon fibre foils at the bow to to accommodate for the higher speed coefficient, the hull could even be…

But the wife’s first words when I told her about the boat were: “ no Jet engines, Modified Nitro Injection V12’s or warps drive ideas!”
My hands are tied…

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Last edited:

GregOddity

Visit site
They did. Road cars and the BRM racing car. My father had some unremembered connection with it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_JET1

Great British Feat of British Engineering. I was actually looking that up on google when you posted.

A Toast to your father in the name of engineering prowess shall be made tonight.

"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom."

Isaac Asimov's Book of Science and Nature Questions

Last edited:

GregOddity

Visit site
They did. Road cars and the BRM racing car. My father had some unremembered connection with it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_JET1

A motoring equivalent of GregOddity :) has built a replica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ji3Wd8izeI

:cool: LOVE your edit and the vote of confidence :encouragement::encouragement::encouragement:

The great Portuguese Poet Luis Vaz de Camoes, described the antagonists of change and learning in a perfect way and named them the Old Man of Restello, Nothing can be done, nothing can be achieved, it’s a waste of time and resources and it has been done so for so long, why change.

As Vasco Da Gama armada was departing for what would be the discovery of the maritime passage to India, the mood of the populace was reflected in the Epic “Os Lusiadas” (The Lusiades) in the figure of the Old Man Of Restello invoking all the reasons why it was a folly to do such trip, that nothing would be gained or achieved by it, and if nothing else, there was also no need to change since a commercial route existed by land ( heavily taxed at various points along the way) They are also DOOMED to fail.. off course.

I’m sure your father must have been asked if they had nothing more useful to be doing instead of fitting a jet engine to a car.
Then they go out and buy a Teflon frying pan developed from the foolish idea of sending a man to the Moon.

Now back to reality… where’s the number from that Scottish engineer with some crystal’s and plans for a warp drive.

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Re: HULL NUMBER FOUND !

<snip>Still looking to get moved in the Marina so we can work around her with no masts in the way, as we were stuck in a “pile” on a corner. Skip needs ordering, so we can remove the vast ocean accumulating under the boat and fast spreading to epic proportions and in the middle of all that we need the surveyor to come and support the deck so we can remove the final bulkheads, then clean wash, scrub, sand etc.<snip>

Will you get it in, in one piece, or will you need to cut it up ?

shaunksb

Visit site

Greg &Phil,

Welcome to the forum.

I like your dream, you gotta have a dream for a dream to come true and all that.

I’m not much of a boatbuilder so I probably can’t help you too much but when you’ve got the thing done what do you want to do with it?

I ask because I want to follow the story and what use you put it too may influence the advice you get.

You mentioned an Atlantic trip and sailing in Greece. Will that be just the two of you or do you need more bodies?

Tankage is something you need to plan for while you are doing the interior plans but what size depends on what you want to do.

What’s the ultimate goal?

Spyro

Visit site
Gregg, i was interested to read on another post that you are having to dry out the hull. Is that from yesrs of water sitting inside it? How bad is it and how long will it take to dry?

Falling Star

Visit site
Thank you.

We do have a nice list of plans well organised with the same planning software I use for my commercial projects. The sooner we have a solution the sooner we can add suppliers and part numbers to it and at some stage we are going to have to order some material and this will come attached. As opposed to start and finish ONE project then start panning the next, look for parts and suppliers and finish it and restart. That is a never-ending nightmare of time and wasted effort consumption to no avail.
As it goes we already have a fast expanding list of suppliers we can consult for pricing and spec that will allow for faster and more economic view of the build.
That list need to encompass as much of what we need as possible as there is no other way to stay on a budget otherwise, i.e. £1500 for galley: stove £700 and no other prices. “were gonna be fine” Right way: Stove £700, Sink £275 Fridge £800 translates to Stove max £500 fridge £500 sink £200 plus various fittings and bits and bobs for a total expenditure of £1500 as target. Making us ask and spend the time gathering all the information’s on supplier’s models and options before we can decide.
That being the reason the Logo paint needs to be found on the fly and added to the list. One problem solved. And £7.50 plus £3.50 for transport of a small can of paint is still coming out of total budgeting.

Or - go to Beaulieu tomorrow with a bundle of cash and see what you can find ........

GregOddity

Visit site

Greg &Phil,

Welcome to the forum.

I like your dream, you gotta have a dream for a dream to come true and all that.

I’m not much of a boatbuilder so I probably can’t help you too much but when you’ve got the thing done what do you want to do with it?

I ask because I want to follow the story and what use you put it too may influence the advice you get.

You mentioned an Atlantic trip and sailing in Greece. Will that be just the two of you or do you need more bodies?

Tankage is something you need to plan for while you are doing the interior plans but what size depends on what you want to do.

What’s the ultimate goal?

Hi and thank you.
This is our story and plans at the moment.
The Atlantic Trip is only the first goal. It starts with Phil being 32 stone 204.6kg and me having to revive him at home with a cardiac thumping manoeuvre. In the resuscitating room of the hospital he asked me why I wear an Earring, and I told him the story as you do to pass time in an hospital keeping someone distracted, I got mine at 16 and after helping finish a wooden sailboat and sail it to the Azores, it’s a very old Portuguese Sailors tradition. Of course, I used as much detail as I remembered. On the end he asked me if he could get one, to which I replied “But Off course! You just need survive, loose your weight and shape up, learn how to sail, build a boat and cross the Atlantic, easy thing” My actual words.
Well, Phil actually decided he wanted to earn a Portuguese Sailors earring the traditional way, and I said why the hell not. So, he started dieting and training.
Phil has lost a lot of weight now 146kg (22 Stone) , earning puzzlement and praise from his GP’s and doctors and even the Homerton Centre, he chose not to have any operations. And I put him on a “sailors diet”, he trains like a mad man, walks every day at least 5km and will get where he wants to be in the next year.
He has learned how to sail, so now were building the boat. After we cross the Atlantic I will be the “old” sailor that gives him the earring that he has to earn. (tradition dictates)
We’ve been discussing after crossing the Atlantic, what do we want to do with the boat and sailing, for now were aiming at sailing to Portugal then Azores and UK, Norway and Svalbard then Iceland Greenland. And that’s where our plans and dreams and ideas are at the moment.
Phil was the most improbable sailor I ever met. ( I’ve met a few ) Phil is also a good friend. But notwithstanding he has had the fortitude that many lack to tackle such a life change as he has. So I guess I owe him that. I’m old-fashioned, I tend to do what I say. It seems to be a character flaw these days.
We do plan to do our shake down with a trip around the UK.
Were looking at tankage, and insulation an we liked the sturdiness of the Colvic for high latitude sailing. We do not intend to wade into growler territory with a GRP hull. Were also insulating the whole hull and adding extra tankage and a water maker that I will build.
It’s adventurous and I’m loving it. Phil sometimes still feels like a fish out of water but cannot get enough of being on the water.
To be honest I no longer plan to wait for retirement. I want to do it while I can actually hoist a sail. We live on a VERY tight budget and pour our pennies into what will be the our transatlantic vessel of luxury.
I actually feel like a kid this days. Did not have so much fun in years.

Were the poor Yachters with the BIG dreams. :cool: but were not without skills ...

GregOddity

Visit site
Gregg, i was interested to read on another post that you are having to dry out the hull. Is that from yesrs of water sitting inside it? How bad is it and how long will it take to dry?

Hi Spyro,
I’m editing a video where I describe it better and show what we got. So far as I know, someone removed the cockpit door and the drains also had nowhere to flow but to the inside, the hull filled up at some stage and that allied with the fact that 1980’s resins did allow some water seepage the hull has some areas with blisters. Nothing too serious, but to be expected with any GRP hull from the 1980’s, it was on the plans to strip it and hot vac the hell out of it then seal it properly. I have a big industrial Vacuum pump, and can make my own silicone mats. To peel the hull is not too complicated I have a few tools I could use ( carbide tipped ) but I’m leaning to fabricate a plane with carbide blades instead, £40 wood plane thing taken apart for the cylinder and adapting it to a Flex grinder with handles and depth regulation with a small plate and a screw.
I’m guessing ballpark figure of 4 to 6 weeks to peel, wash, dry, and fare. But as I never actually done a fiberglass hull I may be in for a couple of delays, and Boats.. are called “SHE” for a reason. They have been known to throw tantrums at you out of the blue.

GregOddity

Visit site

If it was a Tom it would have to be Hanks (maybe a big younger though).

Phil - Forest Whitaker (with fat suit in the opening). He is black, right?

Sorry for thread drift; as you were!

Youre good,
most react in the same way. The doctors at the Homerton Centre were more flabergasted that someone without a gastric bypass could lose so much weight and be so fit as Phil is this days. He not only lost the weight but also is no longer on diabetes and asma medication as he walked and is training himself to fitness.
Yeah he is black. And Tom Hanks is much too good for me I would need a lunatic, maybe Mel Gibson.

Keith 66

Visit site
So now you are talking peeling the hull? This includes building a gelcoat peeler from an old planer?
Now you have a boat that was full of water on the inside for a long time, So to my mind you would be looking at osmosis on the inside of the hull, I have seen it before myself several times. I have also been involved with several heavy duty osmosis jobs. The worst was a Swan 43 that had blisters like ping pong balls completely covering its bottom. The owner got a bloke in Gelstrip UK iirc, he had a proper peeler & muscles like tarzan, He peeled that 43 in just 3 days or less & did a fabulous job at a good price, Wetblasting & pressure washing did the rest. The boat dried out in the sun & wind in two months. Glassing the hull back to thickness & fairing took weeks.
Having seen what is involved in peeling a hull It is something that I would never contemplate doing. It is the most backbreaking, poxy, itchy, filthy job ever invented. As for building a peeler? Your time scale makes this unviable even if you have a machine shop. Are you going to use Silverline tools as base components? I call bullshit. Im afraid that this thread has run its course for me.
Good luck & happy grinding.