Bought a Never splashed Colvic Countess 33 on eBay, Looking for infos

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Re: Weeping Keels problem.

Ha no you misread my intentions.

I didn't miss anything.

You said
I’ve had problems with humidity before in cast iron parts that needed welding as the water trapped inside can create real problems, but those were parts for precision machinery.

I replied with
When welding cast, it has to be pre-heated and then slowly cooled. If that's done correctly, no moisture issues.

This thread has now becone ridiculously confused. Hard to tell where one project ends and the other one begins.

Last edited:

Spyro

Visit site

I didn't miss anything.

Uou said
I’ve had problems with humidity before in cast iron parts that needed welding as the water trapped inside can create real problems, but those were parts for precision machinery. [/quote

I replied with

This thread has now becone ridiculously confused. Hard to tell where one project ends and the other one begins.
No project has ended, that's part of the problem. :)

GregOddity

Mermaid hunting in Antartica. No luck so far.
Visit site

When I was working on my Westely I researched what people did to prevent reoccurance of rust, and proceded as follows.
As I had plenty of time and has some concerns that there was a salt content in my keel which had patches of rust for 10 years. I took the keel back to bear metal and washed it a few times over a month., not worring about the rust that formed. I then used an rust convertor from PORS from FROST restoration . You do need rust to convert. I brushed it on and kept it wet for 30 mins minimum. It turned the keel rust black and then there was no rust for a couple of months with no other treatment.

It worked better than anything else i have tred and better than teh boat next to me who was patch repairing.
The final treatment was to redo the rust then paint eith a fleixble epoxy tank paint from Reactive Resins who are unfortunatly not trading.

The month you kept treating it did wonders. I did get them both to bare metal but covered them immediately as not to rust. Then I noticed some blisters weeping that had managed to form after 2 coats of Hammerite. By that time, I was under pressure to get the boat back on the water and did not pursue it further. I just used primer from International paints on top of the Hammerite and then antifoul and that was on the end of June. This pic is from December and all that damage to the paint seems to be caused by the water causing oxidation inside the keel and breaking the paint from the inside. I may very well use your suggestion for the end of march when we plan to get her out again to close the well for the outboard as the temperature right now was far too low for such a repair and as usual, we were on borrowed time on the yard.
I am considering adding a day of high vacuum to see if I’m able to extract any moisture from the keel. Purely curious if it works.

Last edited:

GregOddity

Visit site

I didn't miss anything.

You said

I replied with

Well its easy. Every boat owner looks at his/her boat as ONE project.
We have two, so that’s two projects.
Never mind the never ending list that instead of getting shorter keeps getting longer every single time you but look at something.

GregOddity

Visit site

I didn't miss anything.

Uou said
No project has ended, that's part of the problem. :)

I take issue with that. I DID finish a couple of projects. I put up the curtains that my wife was nagging about for two years and I threw away my old shoes and cleaned the fireplace and even got around to trim the edge. :p
On the boats, they are both almost finished. 4 Months and they will be both ready. :cool:

PaulRainbow

Visit site

I take issue with that. I DID finish a couple of projects. I put up the curtains that my wife was nagging about for two years and I threw away my old shoes and cleaned the fireplace and even got around to trim the edge. :p
On the boats, they are both almost finished. 4 Months and they will be both ready. :cool:

Told you this was confused, i never said "No project has ended."

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site

Well its easy. Every boat owner looks at his/her boat as ONE project.
We have two, so that’s two projects.
Never mind the never ending list that instead of getting shorter keeps getting longer every single time you but look at something.

Two projects should equal two threads. :)

Last edited:

GregOddity

Visit site

Two projects shoulkd equal two threads. :)

Well…yes and no. Selkie is part of the Oddity Project. She was purchased as a base to do Oddity.
We’re using her as a test bed for what we intend to do with Oddity and to train Phil and my wife in the art of keeping a boat afloat and the sailors sane.
For us it is ONE project.

Plus, confusing is fun. Mostly because for us it’s not confusing at all. It all makes perfect sense and now I’m going to take my meds and get into my pyjamas with very long sleeves and go to my padded room to have a beauty nap.

PaulRainbow

Visit site

now I’m going to take my meds and get into my pyjamas with very long sleeves and go to my padded room to have a beauty nap.

There you go, i've organised those comments for you :encouragement:

Last edited:

GregOddity

Visit site
Selkie Back in the water

Tadaaa Selkie back in the water and cabling and washing her coming our way. Its amazing what being on the hard does to your boat. Now for the fine job of drilling holes on deck to install the cable glands for radio instruments and lights. But the most surprising thing coming out of it is how much more “solid” she’s starting to feel as a sailboat. This boat was really abandoned in every sense of the word.

KtvQMy3.jpg

And this is way we do it. Soothes the heart to have a sunset on the water with a cup of tea and grimy and tired after a full day working on the boat.
jkeqJSo.jpg

GregOddity

Visit site
The Oddity PROPlem

So here’s the PROPlem.. Oddity is a heavy displacement boat that is not going to win any races. She’s very beamy 3.55m (11ft 8in) and full bodied.
She’s got a LWL of 8.76m (28ft 9in) and a displacement of 6758.5 KG ( 14,900 lbs )
Now considering that Ian Anderson designed her in the 1980 and she was built in 1982 I am guessing much has changed and evolved on the Propellers available at the time and now.

So, a question to all of you salty seadogs out there: Under this conditions what should we be looking for in a propeller considering that we are going to sail blue water and are aiming for somewhere on the range of 75 HP to 85 HP

At a weight of 6.7 Metric tons Naked hull we can expect a good couple of tons to be added in construction plus fuel and water capacity. Our model is also the fin keel with max ballast for the hull.
Facing heavy seas the motor will need to be overpowered or were not going anywhere.
That brings us to the perennial question we’ve been discussing back and forth. Folding and gain speed on a slow boat? Fixed and generate power? 3 blades or 4 blades ?

Any opinions are very welcome.

Propless...
on0znqN.jpg

Last edited:

Skylark

Visit site
Cruising boats should be fitted with folding props, imho, and the acknowledged experts seem to be Darglow/Flex o Fold. These guys have a good reputation for giving helpful advice. A good folder will give same forward and astern power transfer as a fixed with all of the benefits of it folding.

I guess there’s little point in commenting about your overpowering needs. Doubtless you have plans to use the excess to drive the bow and stern thruster artificial intelligence collision avoidance system :)

GregOddity

Visit site
75hp on a 33ft boat = way over powered.

Agree, I wouldn't go over 40hp, even that would be more than enough,

If fitting an 80HP engine don't forget to factor in the depleted uranium ballast that you will stow in the chain locker to keep her an even keel.....

Seriously 30 something HP is all she needs to get up to hull speed ...

Guys you forgot something that we said from a while ago. We’re installing a Diesel Electric drive train. The engine will have 75 to 85 HP and will be used as a generator with the possibility of also be used as direct drive. We will have to factor that in when calculating for the prop.
Then according to weight alone the minimum would be 45 bhp and we are not going to go racing so we’re not going to shave grams of everything on a heavy displacement boat.
We don’t mind the overpower as it is substantially cheaper then the underpower of a marine engine. But it is Volts that will drive the Prop.
The world is going Electric. We are going Electric using the engine as a generator. Underpower or optimal power on a 6.7 metric tons hull is a simple equation. Overpower. But then again, all that is doing is powering a small battery bank and a 48V engine that is going to be the actual motor driving the Prop.

So, PROP is what we need looking at.

GregOddity

Visit site
Cruising boats should be fitted with folding props, imho, and the acknowledged experts seem to be Darglow/Flex o Fold. These guys have a good reputation for giving helpful advice. A good folder will give same forward and astern power transfer as a fixed with all of the benefits of it folding.

I guess there’s little point in commenting about your overpowering needs. Doubtless you have plans to use the excess to drive the bow and stern thruster artificial intelligence collision avoidance system :)

We dared a look into the world of folding props. From Burtons to German engineered folding props. Folding is of course attractive but the fact is that were using an electric motor to power the prop and that creates the question of perhaps using the prop to generate electric power.
It then becomes a conundrum; Folding and a bit more efficiency on a slow boat or fixed to generate power and lose a bit on drag on a slow boat?
We’ll look into Darglow/Flex o Fold as well thanks.
Haaa the depleted Uranium has been abandoned in favour of antimatter it’s a weight power thing. We’re reserving the stern berth as the antimatter chamber