Bosun's chair

Daydream believer

Visit site
I have to do quite a bit of work up the top of my mast ( 31 ft boat) fixing a new wind indicator & threading a new wire etc. I need to get as high as possible to do the drilling & tapping of the screws.
My old "nappy seat" type chair is getting a bit threadbare & i want to change it. Never really been happy with it.
However, as I am now 71 years old, weight 17 stone & weak in the legs, I am no longer fit as I was. The days of a plank of wood are long gone as well.
I have been looking at the Spinnlock mast harness (Or peitzel if the Spinnlock is too small) but am not sure if ( In spite of claims in the literature) I might end up with dead leg .
Can anyone who has had to use a bosuns chair or mast harness to any degree give a recommendation or preference of either. Or just a review of the Spinnlock if that is what they have used.
I know that this is a racing section but it occurs to me that more people may have used the spinnlock in anger on race boats than those who frequent the other threads

thanks

Upnorth

Visit site
I've got a Spinlock and a conventional chair. The Spinlock is fine for short trips up the mast but soon becomes uncomfortable. I now only use it when I am actually on the water and need the security, otherwise the normal chair is much more comfortable. I have this one
https://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/en/Crewsaver-Crewlift-40-Bosuns-Chair/m-4327.aspx?CurrencyISO=GBP

which has leg straps and a waist strap. Not the cheapest but in my opinion perfect.

I have to do quite a bit of work up the top of my mast ( 31 ft boat) fixing a new wind indicator & threading a new wire etc. I need to get as high as possible to do the drilling & tapping of the screws.
My old "nappy seat" type chair is getting a bit threadbare & i want to change it. Never really been happy with it.
However, as I am now 71 years old, weight 17 stone & weak in the legs, I am no longer fit as I was. The days of a plank of wood are long gone as well.
I have been looking at the Spinnlock mast harness (Or peitzel if the Spinnlock is too small) but am not sure if ( In spite of claims in the literature) I might end up with dead leg .
Can anyone who has had to use a bosuns chair or mast harness to any degree give a recommendation or preference of either. Or just a review of the Spinnlock if that is what they have used.
I know that this is a racing section but it occurs to me that more people may have used the spinnlock in anger on race boats than those who frequent the other threads

thanks

lpdsn

Visit site
Check the SWL on the bosun's chair. Most of them are approx. 15 stone, so you'll exceed that. That's why I have a Spinlock harness. However I usually end up with the job of pulling someone else up the mast.

MoodySabre

Visit site
When I needed a new aerial last year I had it done in the water by the dock. Barnaby in the cherry picker type thing. Small charge from the marina and £35 to Barnaby. Beat going up the mast.

Perhaps they’d let you careen the boat over so you could do it from the top of the dock at half tide.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I've got a Spinlock and a conventional chair. The Spinlock is fine for short trips up the mast but soon becomes uncomfortable. I now only use it when I am actually on the water and need the security, otherwise the normal chair is much more comfortable. I have this one
https://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/en/Crewsaver-Crewlift-40-Bosuns-Chair/m-4327.aspx?CurrencyISO=GBP

which has leg straps and a waist strap. Not the cheapest but in my opinion perfect.

Thanks, I wanted the opinion of one who had used both. I need to take Ipdsn's comment into account but will probably go down the chair route then

Daydream believer

Visit site
When I needed a new aerial last year I had it done in the water by the dock. Barnaby in the cherry picker type thing. Small charge from the marina and £35 to Barnaby. Beat going up the mast.

Perhaps they’d let you careen the boat over so you could do it from the top of the dock at half tide.

Yes I have had a word with them & that is the fall back option. I just did not want the hassle of dropping the mast this year. I drop it every 4 years for a rig survey & had it down 2 years ago so did not want to do it this year if possible. Plus when the boat came out I did not know I was getting a new wind indicator so 3 boats would have to be moved to get to mine increasing costs.
I do not know Barnaby is he a local rigger or something?

Last edited:

savageseadog

Visit site
Yes I have had a word with them & that is the fall back option.

I really couldn't recommend any bosun's chair. They tend to put the occupant into a seated position which makes working at the mast head difficult. Use a climbers or cavers harness, much safer and better body position.

Last edited:

savageseadog

Visit site
Have you actually used one in anger for long & if so What version did you use
what was the effect on the legs.

I've done literally miles of rope work when I was caving, it was a while ago but use a Petzl caving harness these days up the mast. They are designed to allow the body to be more upright for rope climbing.

MoodySabre

Visit site
Yes I have had a word with them & that is the fall back option. I just did not want the hassle of dropping the mast this year. I drop it every 4 years for a rig survey & had it down 2 years ago so did not want to do it this year if possible. Plus when the boat came out I did not know I was getting a new wind indicator so 3 boats would have to be moved to get to mine increasing costs.
I do not know Barnaby is he a local rigger or something?

Barnaby is usually in the yard - he has a bluey/greeny van with his business name on which escapes me at the moment. He does all sorts but he is not a rigger. He has that old Peter Duck ketch out in the creek.

www.highwatersails.com
The spinlock or any climbing harness isn't great for extended work, you can do it but you have to keep moving the leg straps to stop giving yourself a dead leg. Bosun's chair for long periods of work.

savageseadog

Visit site
The spinlock or any climbing harness isn't great for extended work, you can do it but you have to keep moving the leg straps to stop giving yourself a dead leg. Bosun's chair for long periods of work.

What I do is once at the masthead I rig one or two tape (webbing) loops from the top of the mast to stand in. The loops can be sewn climbers slings or you can make your own with tape knots. Please look up how to tie tape knots if you go that way, they have to be tightened with body weight and sufficient excess tape left.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I use this one http://www.toplicht.de/en/shop/takelage/bootsmannsstuhl/bootsmannsstuhl-bms-profi-mit-tasche
comfortable and secure with leg and shoulder straps to keep you secure in the chair.
View attachment 69990

That looks good- one of the best that I have seen so far- as it has shoulder straps which look as though they are attached to the lifting loops. One of the things that I always do is tie a rope to the halyard then pass it over my shoulder & back under the opposite arm then back to the halyard so that I can lean back against it as I always feel that I am going to topple backwards.

The only thing that has me concerned is the height of the ring. Can one get right up to see the top of the mast to drill holes. In my old worn one the eyes were low around the waist ( more reason for the rope round the shoulder) & I could get really high & had no problem working at the very top. Is there any way the lifting ring can be lower down?
What is your opinion re this please?