Border Force Craft

Topcat47

Visit site
"Taking back our boarders" was always a bit of Brexit nonsense. Back in the Pre EEC days, I seldom rocked up anywhere along the south coast without a customs officer and his mate rocking up to check us out (and maybe bum a couple of drams). Unlike Dom of this parish, I've never been accosted by the "boarder force" since.

dom

Visit site
"Taking back our boarders" was always a bit of Brexit nonsense. Back in the Pre EEC days, I seldom rocked up anywhere along the south coast without a customs officer and his mate rocking up to check us out (and maybe bum a couple of drams). Unlike Dom of this parish, I've never been accosted by the "boarder force" since.

Lol ;) Seriously though, the Border Force personnel I have encountered over the past few years have been polite, professional and charming to a fault, not to mention that one of their ships would be the most welcome sight in the world in situations we can all too easily envisage these days.

They are also open about the value us yotties and moboers play in building up their intel picture, so see anything suspicious and the number is:

Tel: 0300 123 7000

If in doubt, just call.

Manic76

Visit site
No explanation needed for you - there won't be any change. However it is the explanation used by the crooks to encourage the Iranians to part with their money now.

It is likely that this flurry of activity will be short lived as it is fuelled by a small number of wealthy (relatively) Iranian Christians (mostly) who left Iran for Serbia when the restrictions on travel were lifted 2 years ago. This route has now been closed.

There is a lot of sympathy for these migrants and a high likelihood of getting asylum. From what I understand they are mostly well educated, western orientated and will adapt to our society quickly. If they are anything like the Iranians I worked with who fled Iran in the late 70s when the Islamic State was created they will do well.

Having said all that I would rather such people could be helped through official channels rather than being preyed on by the criminal community and then vilified by sections of our press. Equally it does not excuse the incompetence of our authorities (or is this deliberate?).

Intelligent post.

scotty123

Visit site
It probably wouldn't take more than a couple of innovative French crooks to start pinching & seling on dinghys and small day-fishing boats to create the spike we've seen in the last week or so.

A Border Force officer was on R4 recently & stated that all the miscreants were from Afghanistan & eastern europe, who were living in the UK. No French mentioned.

scotty123

Visit site
It won't.
But if you are a vulnerable refugee who has risked life and limb to get to France, why would you not believe someone who is telling you that "UK is leaving Europe in March, you need to get there by then because they will be toughening up the borders etc etc"

Afterall.. if you search on here there are plenty of threads where people are claiming to sail to France will require VISAs etc.

Under the Dublin treaty if they are fingerprinted in another Euro Country before getting to UK they could be sent bAck there. In March... That agreement ceases.

How, are these wealthy Iranians "vulnerable refugees"?

Topcat47

Visit site
Lol ;) Seriously though, the Border Force personnel I have encountered over the past few years have been polite, professional and charming to a fault, not to mention that one of their ships would be the most welcome sight in the world in situations we can all too easily envisage these days.

They are also open about the value us yotties and moboers play in building up their intel picture, so see anything suspicious and the number is:

Tel: 0300 123 7000

If in doubt, just call.

My comment wasn't directed at the professionalism of the staff just their relative lack of numbers. Back in the 70's and early 80's they had the support of a much larger RN fleet with a dedicated Fishery Protection squadron to assist. I doubt whether the current RN could put together enough serviceable warships to populate a full FPS these days.

dom

Visit site
No explanation needed for you - there won't be any change. However it is the explanation used by the crooks to encourage the Iranians to part with their money now.

It is likely that this flurry of activity will be short lived as it is fuelled by a small number of wealthy (relatively) Iranian Christians (mostly) who left Iran for Serbia when the restrictions on travel were lifted 2 years ago. This route has now been closed.

There is a lot of sympathy for these migrants and a high likelihood of getting asylum. From what I understand they are mostly well educated, western orientated and will adapt to our society quickly. If they are anything like the Iranians I worked with who fled Iran in the late 70s when the Islamic State was created they will do well.

Having said all that I would rather such people could be helped through official channels rather than being preyed on by the criminal community and then vilified by sections of our press. Equally it does not excuse the incompetence of our authorities (or is this deliberate?).

Can most definitely second this in relation to some of the Iranian people I have worked with - well educated, hard working, and cooperative. Kind of addition every country would want.

moomba

N/A
Visit site
My comment wasn't directed at the professionalism of the staff just their relative lack of numbers. Back in the 70's and early 80's they had the support of a much larger RN fleet with a dedicated Fishery Protection squadron to assist. I doubt whether the current RN could put together enough serviceable warships to populate a full FPS these days.

Very true , was able to go onboard one of the Border force boats , (refurbished offshore oil boats) last year at the Scottish boat show, the staff were very informative and showed off all their equipment and told us what they really do, but the only issue which was apparent from the crew and those asking the questions, was there was far to much sea to monitor with very little resources .
One Boat for the whole west Coats of Scotland and down the Irish Sea.

capnsensible

Visit site

Have you tried a few moments with our old oppo Google??

dom

Visit site

Leaving aside the question of the strength of the U.K.’s surface fleet, I agree that the U.K. Border Force is under-resourced. Though to be fair, both it and the Government are aware of the problem.

All I’m really saying is that at this tricky time us lot shld help them as much as possible by promptly reporting anything untoward; at least until they get fully up to speed again.

TheEcho

Visit site
It is common with a refugee family for a young man to be the first to make the trip and for the women and kids to follow as soon as he has found somewhere safe, has reliable contacts, and they have got the cash together to follow. They are likely to be well off in the country they are fleeing as it costs a lot to get to Europe. So they will try to take what they can with them but are vulnerable to getting tipped overboard by the people smugglers for their iPhones and jewellery.

scotty123

Visit site
Can most definitely second this in relation to some of the Iranian people I have worked with - well educated, hard working, and cooperative. Kind of addition every country would want.

So why are they not given 'asylum' at the first country they arrive at?
Why the need to travel across several civilised countries just to reach us.?

Cantata

Visit site
So why are they not given 'asylum' at the first country they arrive at?
Why the need to travel across several civilised countries just to reach us.?

It got me going the other evening when the esteemed BBC News referred to 'refugees taking to small boats to flee persecution'. No, they were crossing from France. What's so wrong with France? Pretty nice place to live, I always thought.

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
They are wealthy Iranians, not vulnerable refugees.

Being wealthy doesn't stop you being a refugee. They are often the ones who are seen as being the biggest threat to murderous regimes as they often have influence. So they are targeted and have no option but to escape.

Hitler didn't persecute the Jews because they were poor.

Visit site
It got me going the other evening when the esteemed BBC News referred to 'refugees taking to small boats to flee persecution'. No, they were crossing from France. What's so wrong with France? Pretty nice place to live, I always thought.
UK doen't have ID cards, and it is very easy to disappear, work in the black economy, or get a SS number, etc.
Anyboby who mentions these facts is, of course, a right-wing, racist, compassionless Little Englander or whatever.
Truly, the lunatics are running the asylum.