Books for your voyage

Wansworth

Visit site
Those who know Jonathan Raban know that he always investigates his travel books with a collection of books illustrating some facet of his route.My books would fill a good shelf with the tomes of Peter Heaton,Alain Gerbault and so many tales of travels to sunny shore but for the nitty gritty information. I have my trust Cruising under sail and voyaging under sail by Hiscock ready to tell me how to set a sea an hour or fly a burgee.For all my book reading I never left the European coast but am well read in how to weather a tropical cyclone off Madagascar

Last edited:

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
Best invention for sailors that roam is the mighty kindle!
Absolutely correct, but I do like a proper book!

I am Downsizing the library once again. It is an extensive library, but the kids wont want it!

Off to Spain for two months soon, will take some serious reading matter as we are driving down and will have the room, plus already looking up where I can get books in English around Marbella.

On our summers on the boat I make a point of using charity shops for books, then donate the read ones back to another when we have moved on.

First Mate is on her 7th Kindle-they last her about two years!

Wansworth

Visit site

I am Downsizing the library once again. It is an extensive library, but the kids wont want it!

Off to Spain for two months soon, will take some serious reading matter as we are driving down and will have the room, plus already looking up where I can get books in English around Marbella.

On our summers on the boat I make a point of using charity shops for books, then donate the read ones back to another when we have moved on.

I find I cannot read from electronic devices over a prolonged period

capnsensible

Visit site

Around there lots of marina offices have a few shelves of bookswap but a lot will be non English....but with the occasional gem.

johnalison

Visit site
I have always taken one or more of my usual reading matter on cruises, leaving sea-related books for the winter.

doug748

Visit site
Around there lots of marina offices have a few shelves of bookswap but a lot will be non English....but with the occasional gem.

Indeed, I have bagged some very good books from marina offices. I like to do my bit, last year I deposited on the near Continent:

Roy Jenkin's 600 page biography of Gladstone.
Trilby by George Du Maurier
Andrew Motion on the Life of Philip Larkin
Plus
Eminent Victorians by Lytton Strachey

That will teach them. 😐

Wansworth

Visit site
I'm a YM reader too. A number of contributors have said that they enjoy Conrad, and he's worth a try. If anything, his English is less stilted than in the Riddle.
Indeed but the thrust of my post was more an observation on the yachtyness of the Riddle and his requirement for such and such bottles rews and a replacement ripplinggill stove😏