Boatyard H&S rules - going mad?

PhillM

Visit site
I think I have commented on here before, each year I get hauled out to do the simplest of jobs, the H&S rules appear to become more restrictive.

Today I was told that to remove flakes of anti-foul without full protective equipment (mask goggles, plus using a ground covering is not be allowed. Also, when removed, I was not to dispose of said flakes in the Marina waste bins.

Sanding paintwork, ready for repainting is also not allowed unless using a dust removal system. I get that with a machine that is a reasonable rule, but how (and for that matter where) am I to attach said extraction system when hand sanding?

I am one for being considerate to the other people around me. I would never want my actions to annoy, let alone harm anyone (me included). But since when has tarting up an little wooden boat become such a hazardous task?

Also, in previous years, I have happily been able to wander around the crane, after its stopped of course. Last time I was given a hard hat, this time I was told I wasn't allowed. Apparently they will lift and re-block off so I can do patches as doing them in the slings is now forbidden.

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
There are obvious reasons why some of these rules exist, but it can be hard on us when common sense can't be applied. I am sceptical about the need for draconian rules about a few flakes of antifouling, but can accept the need for proper disposal when a full strip is being done. If the slings are not safe enough for me to walk under, they are not safe enough for my most treasured non-human possession.

crewman

Visit site
The need to contain old antifouling and not put it in a general skip is for environmental reasons, nothing to do with HSE. Blame the EA. Antifouling is meant to be nasty to aquatic flora after all.

D

Deleted member 36384

Walking under a suspended load is stupid, full stop. Lots of evidence of people being killed when loads fail due to them standing under the load, also lots of you tube videos of yachts dropping out of slings. Suspending on chokes while you paint the patch is sensible because it reduces the probability of being crushed to death. In these cash strapped, profit at all cost times, I would not trust my life to a demotivated, overworked, reduced maintenance staff and hoist. It just takes one fall and your dead, or worse. It's not only about equipment failure but human failure as well. Imagine you are happily daubing paint on under the boat and some human messes up and the boat ends up on you.

BSSOffice

www.boatsafetyscheme.org
I think I have commented on here before, each year I get hauled out to do the simplest of jobs, the H&S rules appear to become more restrictive.

Sanding paintwork, ready for repainting is also not allowed unless using a dust removal system. I get that with a machine that is a reasonable rule, but how (and for that matter where) am I to attach said extraction system when hand sanding?

I am one for being considerate to the other people around me. I would never want my actions to annoy, let alone harm anyone (me included). But since when has tarting up an little wooden boat become such a hazardous task?

This is possibly one of the reasons - plus the possibility (depending on the enviroment there) of stray dust coating other people's boats. http://www.hse.gov.uk/woodworking/wooddust.htm?platform=hootsuite

Just guessing, but they may be supposing that you could use something like this http://www.screwfix.com/p/festool-ctl-midi-62ltr-sec-dust-extractor-240v/4432p

Probably a good place to start to find out why rules have changed and what is expected, is to have chat with the people in charge - assuming they can be found or they will answer the phone. Information tends to be key in such situations.

In replying, I've made assumptions, but that is likely to be a big mistake, I think the best policy is to always try the 'horses mouth' for the sake of accuracy.

capnsensible

Visit site
Isn't it odd how there are hardly ever any of those type of accidents in Spain, where haul outs are so common and so is the common sense that goes with it.

Have also lifted in Moroco, Antigua and watched plenty more around the world. The perceived problems simply do not exist.

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
Walking under a suspended load is stupid, full stop. Lots of evidence of people being killed when loads fail due to them standing under the load, also lots of you tube videos of yachts dropping out of slings. Suspending on chokes while you paint the patch is sensible because it reduces the probability of being crushed to death. In these cash strapped, profit at all cost times, I would not trust my life to a demotivated, overworked, reduced maintenance staff and hoist. It just takes one fall and your dead, or worse. It's not only about equipment failure but human failure as well. Imagine you are happily daubing paint on under the boat and some human messes up and the boat ends up on you.

One of the wires supporting the massive slinging tubes on the Hamble Point travelift failed, crushing the marina manager and injuring him badly. I had pointed out to them (twice) that the cables weren't greased and were rusting, and didn't need H&S to tell me not to be an idiot.

Babylon

Visit site
Vote with your keel-bolts!

I can thoroughly recommend Deacons at the top the Hamble, hauled there for a decade and enjoyed much common sense.

st599

Visit site
They want the antifouling caught and removed to prevent it washing in to the river and then entering the food chain. Seems fair enough.

PhillM

Visit site
All, you have made some very sensible points. Thank you.

I was a good boy today and got a decent plastic sheet and used that. It added virtually no time to the job and I was surprised how much material I collected.

Re the crane, point taken.

GrahamM376

Visit site
Isn't it odd how there are hardly ever any of those type of accidents in Spain, where haul outs are so common and so is the common sense that goes with it.

Have also lifted in Moroco, Antigua and watched plenty more around the world. The perceived problems simply do not exist.

Same here in Portugal, just get on with the work. Problem in UK is that they follow all EU directives like sheep and if the boatyard allows supposedly unsafe practices, they can get fined heavily.

pandos

Visit site
Same here in Portugal, just get on with the work. Problem in UK is that they follow all EU directives like sheep and if the boatyard allows supposedly unsafe practices, they can get fined heavily.
. Well it will be all fine soon.... Brexit!!!!!

I think there is a movement towards increased revenue for authorities and boatyards through gradual elimination of the DIY mentality.....

D

Deleted member 36384

. Well it will be all fine soon.... Brexit!!!!!

I think there is a movement towards increased revenue for authorities and boatyards through gradual elimination of the DIY mentality.....

It's not that or the EU, it's an increase in awareness that leads to new regulations, or the enforcement of existing regulations.

lpdsn

Visit site
They want the antifouling caught and removed to prevent it washing in to the river and then entering the food chain. Seems fair enough.

This summer the food chain is making a strong attempt to nibble my anti-foul away before I lift out.

NorthUp

Visit site
The health and safety game in the UK has changed considerably in the last couple of years. A visit from the HSE is no longer a chat about how to improve safety in your business, but a revenue opportunity for an increasingly ruthless quango. When HSE feel the need to send you a letter, it will come with an invoice for their 'time and expenses', running into thousands.
A business has no option but to comply, question the inspectors, even when they have no experience of the particular industry, and there will only be one winner.
Nothing to do with Europe, blame the lawyers in Westminster.

ps. not all legislation is bad, I worked with asbestos in my youth, ignorant of the long term dangers. Never saw a Factory Inspector then.

Last edited: