Boating area snobbery

Seajet

Visit site
I get mud, sandbanks AND mountains & rocky islands in N Wales, no need for either or! :p

Christ ! I'll be keeping well clear of that then, sounds very dodgy with all that geography going on; round here the major hazard are SS boats ( think of them as an updated version of WWII German S' - Scnell - 'E' Boats out on marauding raids hell bent on causing as much damage and / or upset as possible ) fortunately one learns to spot them and do a reciprocal after a while. :)

Marmalade

Visit site
Not sure why you've interpreted Ken's comment like this. I read your original thread and thought the same as him but for the reason suggested by Ludd and nothing to do with snobbery.

I come out in a nervous rash with less than 10m below the keel and begin to whimper with fear in less than 5m. I certainly wouldn't want to be responsible for someone else's pride and joy with 2m to spare. :eek:

2m?? Luxury!

ukmctc

out cruising, sailing around UK and Europe
Visit site
having sailed the east coast from Essex to Shetland and so far the west coast from Shetland to Ireland I can say in all honesty, there is more to do on the east coast, more to see even. the west is nice but limited to a small area of population. There are merits to both, and both have scenery which is amazing, both have cliffs you can sit at the bottom of, oh and both have deep water, however only the east coast and the south coast have little muddy rivers you can go up.

D

Deleted member 36384

..... however only the east coast and the south coast have little muddy rivers you can go up.

That is not true. We have our muddy little (and large) rivers we can go up as well. We also have narrow, twisty gorge like lochs, with shallow and deep water (in the same gorge like stretch) to challenge the navigator.

pessimist

Visit site
Sailed for many years on the East Coast and enjoyed it hugely. Have now sailed from South Devon for a few years and enjoy it hugely. Both have a great deal to recommend them. Still haven't got used to see through water and sailing a few yards of the beach/cliffs. We're the ones you see well offshore of everyone else.:)

maby

Visit site
All these Essex girls-----:rolleyes:

Each area has its merits,but when you sail in deep water right up to to the cliff foot,you get a bit worried about sailing on damp mud!
Don't think it's snobbery.

There's pros and cons - round the east coast you usually get a relatively gentle warning that you are running out of water - in rocky areas, it may be a rather rude surprise!

PetiteFleur

Visit site
Not sure why you've interpreted Ken's comment like this. I read your original thread and thought the same as him but for the reason suggested by Ludd and nothing to do with snobbery.

I come out in a nervous rash with less than 10m below the keel and begin to whimper with fear in less than 5m. I certainly wouldn't want to be responsible for someone else's pride and joy with 2m to spare. :eek:

A friend of ours who also sails on the West Coast of Scotland also used to get very twitchy when he realised how shallow the water was around the East Coast. 2m to spare? - I only get worried when it says 2m on the depth sounder as I know that when it says 1m I'm aground!

Judders

Visit site
I've done a week on the East Coast and loved it. I loved the character and whilst the nav was challenging, it was never scary with modern gear and a bit of planning. I even seriously looked at moving to Burnham when I first started working in the City. Whilst I'd love to go back and take SWMBO on a sailing tour of Arthur Ransome country, I really dont dream of taking three months off to cruise there and explore it properly in the same way as I do Ireland and the Western Isles. This isn't snobbery and I dare say that after years of planning and dreaming I shall get rained on every day and bitten half to death by midges before foundering on an unseen rock somewhere, but it's how I feel.

Visit site
kissing the bottom

Just what I was thinking - same as everyone on the East Coast, we often go in to the marina with 0.2 (or less!) under the keel!

Amen to that! Amazing how you get used to noting points of a metre. Thank goodness for accurate sounders - how did the old boys do it with just a lead line?

ChattingLil

Visit site
Amen to that! Amazing how you get used to noting points of a metre. Thank goodness for accurate sounders - how did the old boys do it with just a lead line?

:D well having just seen the signature line on your profile....I guess you are one of us. :D Yes accurate depth sounder very helpful, though the soft mud is less scary once you know about it and the twin keels are are boon to me.