Boat Tests - are we being served ....

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Ey. I come across one with 250 cummins in it and a mad chefe driving it. Had a whole new bottom on it cos he did not like charts and things. Parked up next to it in Weymouth. Sob......

<font color=blue> Haydn

G

Re: Talking Total [censored]

It makes myblood boil when people post ill-informed comments like this on the forum. You are accusing me, my staff and my colleagues on other boating magazines of dishonesty. And that's bang out of order. If what you say is true, then we wouldn't bother testing anything...we'd just rehash the brochure, chuck in some PR shots, and save ourselves a lot of time, money and effort. That is patently not the case...the people who put together MBY and MBM are honest, decent, hard-working professionals who are doing their best to bring you impartial and balanced tests of new products. We obviously don't want to annoy our advertisers (who plan their ad-spends months in advance regardless of the editorial test schedule), but we'll do it (and we have done it) if we have to.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by kimhollamby on 12/02/2003 16:11 (server time).</FONT></P>

Visit site
Re: Talking Total [censored]

Whereas for the first time ever I do see your point and may even go so far as to say I agree with you as I am sure that the magazine would have died years ago if that were the case, I think the tone and the language you used does not serve your case well.

As I have said before, these people are your customers, whether they be right or wrong.
If you offend them and therefore drive them away that puts you out of a job.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by kimhollamby on 12/02/2003 16:15 (server time).</FONT></P>

G

Re: Agreed, but...

Take your point, but the tone was intended to convey the strength of my feelings on this. Apologies to Coli and anyone else offended by my outburst.

oldgit

Visit site
Re: Limp wrist reply....

Ok.How about this. I can give a list of stuff that needed sorting on my last two boats (both small Princess) plus a good idea of how easy to handle and how much they cost to run.
Absolutely convinced that everybody here could keyboard a para or two on the joys of owning a particular boat,so how about a site somewhere for me/you to down load the info./forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Oooh look its still not dark and its nearly 5pm

whisper

Visit site

Outburst, what outburst ? As far as I was concerned you put your point over in a firm and passionate way without resorting to the personal attacks and foul language that often appears here.
To be reprimanded for this would be ironic indeed.

G

Um...actually, I did resort to some fairly colourful language (but no personal attacks) which Kim kindly "moderated" for me. Ooops! But you're right...the editorial integrity of MBY is something I'm very passionate about and it upsets me deeply when people have a pop at my staff without any justification.

hlb

RIP
Visit site

Ee lad. You must not get upset about Cuttey Coliholic. We've been putting up with him for years. He's not trying t get at you personaly, I'm sure. It's just that his writing gets a bit flowery some times.

<font color=blue> Haydn

Bejasus

Visit site
I regularly buy MBM, MBY & BoatMart for the following reasons. MBM I enjoy and find it a bit more real world than MBY which buy coz I like to dream and I buy BoatMart coz it frequently will carry articles on how to do things I need to do.
The point is that I have a 25ft Seamaster Cadet Mk1 circa 1965/6 wich is my first venture into boating. There are also others on the forum with older boats, such as Forbsie, aztec, lanason, LeytonC, BB etc.. Problem is that there are no specific magazines aimed at these craft and it is very difficult to find sources with the information required to point us in the right direction when we need to repair/modify or even make a decision on what we would/could purchase.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/h00>http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/h00</A>

MedDreamer

Visit site

I don't actually think Colin is being totally fair.

I have just finished reading the reviews of the Sessa and Benetau in this months MBY and in both cases there is critisism of certain aspects - they are even summarised in the info section and compared, sometimes unfavourably, to the competition

Isn't it just a fact that most new boats, particuarly the type covered by MBY, are produced to a generally high standard and the reviews just reflect this.

That said, we don't see many reviews in MBM for the "affordable" US imports. For many of us these are the route to a new / nearly new boat and seem to be ignored.

When was a Bayliner last given the four page treatment ? but these are affordable boats for the masses and have their place in the boating world

Martyn

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Bayliner tests

Bayliner was a remarkably difficult boat to get hold of for tests in my time on MBM. That said there seem to have been a fair few covered...<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ybw-directory.com/reprints/results1.jsp?mag=%&month=%&year=%&category=%&keyword=bayliner&offset=0&tem=ybw>click here for a list</A>

There was an MBM test on the Bayliner 2455 Ciera Sunbridge as recently as May 2002 (p76-80).

MedDreamer

Visit site
Re: Bayliner tests

Kim

Please refrain from knocking me off my soapbox by introducing facts!! - they only cloud the issues.

Anyway since when has anyone presented facts on this forum - you will be giving us a bad name

Martyn

G

Re: Bayliner tests

When I was buying my Bayliner 3055, I found the MBY test of the Royal Yacht very useful.