Boat Show Rogues!!

No Regrets

Visit site
Having just returned from the Boat show, without purchasing anything, and checked a few prices out on the internet, I can safely say there are quite a few thieving rogues flogging stuff down there.

Apart from being underwhelmed with the quantity of carp on actual sale, the price discrepancies favour the internet.

Even via the same vendors :ambivalence:

So, thank you Compass Marine and Jimmy Green Marine et al, I'll order online and save 20-25% thank you. Better still I'll shop around and try to buy stuff from people who don't try and stripe me up when I visit the Boat show. I'm looking for special offers, an incentive...and just didn't feel like I was getting anything.

Might be the last time.....:disgust:

Last edited:

534l4rk

Visit site
Having just returned from the Boat show, without purchasing anything, and checked a few prices out on the internet, I can safely say there are quite a few thieving rogues flogging stuff down there.

Apart from being underwhelmed with the quantity of carp on actual sale, the price discrepancies favour the internet.

Even via the same vendors :ambivalence:

So, thank you Compass Marine and Jimmy Green Marine et al, I'll order online and save 20-25% thank you. Better still I'll shop around and try to buy stuff from people who don't try and stripe me up when I visit the Boat show. I'm looking for special offers, an incentive...and just didn't feel like I was getting anything.
:

Interesting. Will be careful. Thank you.

TrueBlue

Visit site
FFS - It was ever thus so !
With the huge cost of exhibiting at The Boat Show has escalated since the good-old-days of Earl's Court (or is it 'Earls'), is it not understandable or even reasonable that sales prices get hiked. Happens at Sot'on as well?

More fool you for going - in the hope of getting a bargain....

Mirror Painter

Visit site
FFS - It was ever thus so !
With the huge cost of exhibiting at The Boat Show has escalated since the good-old-days of Earl's Court (or is it 'Earls'), is it not understandable or even reasonable that sales prices get hiked. Happens at Sot'on as well?

More fool you for going - in the hope of getting a bargain....

So what's the point of the show?

oldgit

Visit site

O Gawd,
the entire and only point of the the deep winter boatshow for the majority of us is to blag some free tickets,wangle a day off work and gawp at a whole pile of shiney white glassfibre which we will never ever be able to afford EVER. :)
It is held to reinforce the view,that we are firmly entrenched in "the left behind" and" just about managing" classes peddled by the post truth press.
It also enables some of us to point out that we look posh enuff to be allowed to actually get on some of the stands and on quiet days get inside the cheapest boat on the stand and peer out the port holes,or even better ,climb onto the flybridge and observe the lower classes trudging past clutching overpriced fender and rope.
It is also dead handy for those with far to much money in the city to nip out during lunch, buy something and arrange for somewhere to keep it in Cala d Or in one go.
It is not for buying stuff which Aldi and Lidle will probably be flogging for fraction of the price in the near future. :):):)
Roll on summer.

Last edited:

ianc1200

Visit site

There's nothing for the likes of me.

This month I want to buy wind instruments for my bawley yacht - it's 1910 vintage I want something as unobtrusive as possible fixed to the spreaders rather than the head of the mast. Years gone by, I'd of been to the show to get inspiration, talk to experts as to what's available, discuss my ideas of whether wireless plus having the display inside (a wooden boat) would work etc. Value of total kit will be just less than £1000. I'm not going to LIBS because last time I went, there was very little technical stuff there, Google Images has pointed me in the right direction - the PBO forum didn't give me one reply but it seems a wind sensor for motorboats is what I need, and has been stated here I can get at cheaper cost than at the show.

BTW do they still sell off stuff extra cheap last day of show?

Gavi

Visit site
Ooo...a nice Sunseeker or perhaps a narrow boat complete with a set of flowerpots ? :)

Er, no. A Waly dayboat for the back mooring. Robust with plenty of space and will survive living under a tree better than other boats. Not the sexiest thing there but then neither was I

Chris_d

Visit site
Er, no. A Waly dayboat for the back mooring. Robust with plenty of space and will survive living under a tree better than other boats. Not the sexiest thing there but then neither was I

Thought a Waly (Wally ?) was a superyacht tender! We need a picture :encouragement:

ChrisJBSC

Visit site
We bought a boat at the show as well... The point being that there is a great choice of looking, touching, feeling, chatting to different vendors before deciding. If we had bought online, it would have been harder for the wife to choose. If we had gone to a chandler, they would have had just one range and little choice.
A nice 2.3m rubber thingy with a small 2.3hp engine... Small enough to fit into the locker. Big enough for the two of us.

Momac

Visit site
I found the two small items I purchased at the Jimmy Green stall today at the boatshow to be the identical in price to their website prices . Let's not forget the addition of VAT at 20%.