Boat names ending in "Too"

tony_lavelle

Visit site
I've asked his before and not had a sensible reply. Why are there so many boats with names ending in "Too"?

If it's because they are second boats, why not II, 2 or even "Two"? Is there some superstition about not using a number?

It used to bother me occasionally but now more so as I've recently acquired such a vessel and the original owner is sadly no longer with us.

Turnnidge

Visit site
My Grandfather’s boat was Blaze, as he he was in the fire service all of his working life, My Father, who was also in the service named his boat Blaze Too as he felt it nicer than Blaze II. Also less complicated to spell out over the radio. Tango Oscar Oscar.

Cantata

Visit site
I've asked his before and not had a sensible reply. Why are there so many boats with names ending in "Too"?

If it's because they are second boats, why not II, 2 or even "Two"? Is there some superstition about not using a number?

It used to bother me occasionally but now more so as I've recently acquired such a vessel and the original owner is sadly no longer with us.
I guess it's just the way some people think.

"What shall we call our new boat, now that we've sold Bo Jo?"
"Well dear we could call the new one Bo Jo, too"

Don't worry, I'll get me coat.......

laika

Visit site
I had a memory that it was related to a prohibition on being able to put "Something II " onto the part 1 register unless you were the owner of "Something" but not only have I found nothing whatsoever to support that, we don't even know if the boats concerned are on the part 1 register. The closest I found in schedule 1 of the Merchant Shipping (Registration of Ships) Regulations is a prohibition on:
any other word, pre-fix or suffix which might cause confusion as to the name of the ship.
...which wouldn't seem to cover it

So unless someone can provide some supporting evidence for this theory I'll say discount it

Last edited: