Boat Life February 2024

Minerva

Visit site
Any particular reason you want to go to Boat Life when Dusseldorf is a couple of weeks before and far bigger? Logistically probably just as easy to get to too

Martxer

Visit site
Any particular reason you want to go to Boat Life when Dusseldorf is a couple of weeks before and far bigger? Logistically probably just as easy to get to too
Stoke is about 60 miles from nec so I doubt Düsseldorf being on par for travelling.

harvey38

Visit site
Not sure I understand how travelling to the NEC is logistically as easy as travelling to Dusseldorf unless you have your own Magic Carpet/Helicopter etc.
Boat Life is a day out for us, Dusseldorf would be at least two nights but one day we'll do it 👍

Minerva

Visit site
The flight time from most parts of the UK to Düsseldorf would be similar than the train to the NEC.

The UK show the last couple
of years has looked abysmal with very few exhibitors whereas the German show is far, far, far bigger. So more to see and more scope for picking up bargains.

Plus you avoid going to Birmingham 😏

ari

Visit site
The flight time from most parts of the UK to Düsseldorf would be similar than the train to the NEC.

of years has looked abysmal with very few exhibitors whereas the German show is far, far, far bigger. So more to see and more scope for picking up bargains.

Sadly, not all of us have private jets, so we have to schlep however long/far it is to an airport with flights to Dusseldorf, then we have to get there, they say two hours before departure, but at least an hour to be on the safe side. And that doesn't include parking the car and getting in to the airport. Then we have to do it all again the other way. So it's rather more than just an hour's flight for us mere mortals. :)

Agree it's an awesome show once you get there, but for a quick day out and a boat fix, Boat Life is alright. Quite nice to support UK business too.

Alicatt

Visit site

Dusseldorf is only about 1.5hours away by car from here, plus it has 2 airports: Dusseldorf and Weeze

Could also go by boat but it would take a while...
canal plan said:
This is a trip of 319.24 kilometres and 15 locks from Leopoldsburg to Dusseldorf.

This will take 60 hours and 19 minutes which is 8 days, 4 hours and 19 minutes at 7 hours per day.

Last edited:

Seastoke

Visit site
Well why not go both , we have already lost the LONDON BOAT show , maybe we should go Barcelona and lose Southampton. IF I was looking for a Brand new boat then Dus would be a an option , I go and like to see sub 40 ft boats but mainly to talk to dealers and pick up some bits what you can touch , last year we bought a Japanese bog for a grand a great buy. I always take a wad dealers love it.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Sadly, not all of us have private jets, so we have to schlep however long/far it is to an airport with flights to Dusseldorf, then we have to get there, they say two hours before departure, but at least an hour to be on the safe side. And that doesn't include parking the car and getting in to the airport. Then we have to do it all again the other way. So it's rather more than just an hour's flight for us mere mortals. :)

Agree it's an awesome show once you get there, but for a quick day out and a boat fix, Boat Life is alright. Quite nice to support UK business too.
Well said. All this it’s just an hours flight is nonsense. Any flight from the UK to any where in Europe effectively uses up a day.

Time Out

Visit site
Well said. All this it’s just an hours flight is nonsense. Any flight from the UK to any where in Europe effectively uses up a day.

Erm I often go to my head office in the SoF and back again in a day. It’s a long day but it’s easily done.

If you are near the NEC then it’s easy. If you are not and you are near LHR or an easy train to LGW then overseas shows begin to make sense.

That said it’s about the exhibition itself. As a day out and if you find the NEC easy to get to then go for it. If you want an exhibition that truly reflects the global marine industry then Düsseldorf is your winter show for yachts but more importantly equipment.

The starting point is probably where you live though !

Alicatt

Visit site
Erm I often go to my head office in the SoF and back again in a day. It’s a long day but it’s easily done.

If you are near the NEC then it’s easy. If you are not and you are near LHR or an easy train to LGW then overseas shows begin to make sense.

That said it’s about the exhibition itself. As a day out and if you find the NEC easy to get to then go for it. If you want an exhibition that truly reflects the global marine industry then Düsseldorf is your winter show for yachts but more importantly equipment.

The starting point is probably where you live though !
All depends on which airline and flight you use, I used to commute between Glasgow and Sunbury on Thames, the director's secretary used to book my flights British Midland Business class return Glasgow to Heathrow was in the head office for 09:10 and back home in Glasgow at 18:30, then the director retired and the new one on an economy drive said no more business class flights with BMI, you have to use Easy Jet, the difference at the time was £135 for the BMI and £55 for Easyjet, however EJ did not fly to LHR and had to go to Stanstead instead, then it was get into Central London and then out to Sunbury, it was after 12:00 before I could get into the office and even getting picked up from the airport it was still after 11:00 before we could get across to Sunbury, it cost the company a lot more flying the cheap route than using BMI. Soon got put back on to the BMI flights, the champagne on the way home was nice :)

jamie langstone

Visit site
For those that are interested there is going to be a Clubhouse’ area – this will be like a community space! There will be a space to meet and chat, with Teas and coffees available. So this may be a great place to meet fellow forum members👍