Boat Insurance ????? best guess please

cyczebhes

Visit site
My insurance requires my boat to be out of the water from October to March. I was planning to leave the boat in the water for the following 12 months and of course tell the insurance as I now renew the policy. Does anyone have a best guess as to what this will do to my premium (in rough percentage terms) ???

Thanks

Iona of Exe

Visit site
I think it rather depends on where you are leaving the yacht during off - season. If it's in a marina the chances are it won't cost you anything extra.
.......... But on a swing mooring in an exposed estuary, the insurance company will probably run a mile.:D

pvb

Visit site
I think boats on marina pontoons are likely to suffer less risk than boats out of the water, so your premium maybe should be reduced!

cyczebhes

Visit site
I agree it should be safer in the water.............I'll drop a reply tomorrow evening whe I find out the result........... can't believe it'll be cheaper...lifes never that simple.

Spyro

Visit site
If they want to increase the premium tell them you will be going with a different company. I'm with JGW and it costs no extra for 12 months in commission. Also very competitive rates to begin with.

dt4134

Visit site
Most insurance seems to be out of the water or in a marina for the winter (i.e. not on a swinging mooring). Most marinas offer a special rate for the six months of the winter.

If your insurance insists on being out of the water maybe time to look elsewhere.

Solent sailer

Visit site
insurance

i don't think it made any diffrence to our insurance, but they do want to know where the boat is and insist on us moving to a more sheltered mooring than our summer one.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
I queried this on my quote from GJW as I wanted to be able to decide when, and if, Brigantia would come out of the water and be relaunched and they said "no problem, 12 months commission it is then, no extra premium" - and that's on a swinging mooring (albeit a marina administered one well upstream on the Crouch)

PetiteFleur

Visit site
Although not on a swinging mooring all winter, when I kept it in the water for an extra month the only difference was that the excess went up to £250. The mooring is inspected annually though.

cyczebhes

Visit site
The final result

thanks for all your comments.................and the result is ....................... No change to premium............... But thanks to you guys at least I had a good idea about my options.