Boat in build pics (2013 Fairline Squadron 78)

rafiki_

Visit site
All four of them Rafiki? :D

See post above. In reality as I see it, when you have great weather you spend time on a boat crusing, swimming, playing, having great meals and wine with friends, listening to music, fixing bogs, staring at a beautiful engine room, but not watching movies :). The B+O server has 500Gb or a Tb, not sure, of music storage. I need to get all my CDs re-ripped as lossless, not compressed files

Yes, I get this. Even in the UK we spend almost all of our time on deck, with background music. However I like the neatness of the Imerge kit, you do not need head units in every station, purely a controller, speakers, and a monitor if you want one. I love the Beo kit, but for me, it looks better than it performs, but good choice nonetheless.

Barbican

Visit site
It’s meant to be finished about March 2013.

Thats quick - my smaller simpler sailyboat will be May and thats with the hull out of the mould this week!

Fabulous boat you are building, and I will follow this with great interest, thanks for posting it all.

Wandering Star

Visit site
To all the guys who don't like white caulking, I think you're being a bit inconsiderate. White caulking or similiar sticky gunge can be sourced under the B & Q own label for around £3 a tube whereas the proper 3m or Lifecalk grey or brown stuff is nearly £14 a tube from Force4. Bearing in mind the decks are likely to take at least 4 whole tubes, the B & Q white bathroom sealant product would represent a substantial saving which can be put toward the cost of the essential underwater lights which JFM may not otherwise be able to afford.

Cheers, Brian.

vas

Visit site
To all the guys who don't like white caulking, I think you're being a bit inconsiderate. White caulking or similiar sticky gunge can be sourced under the B & Q own label for around £3 a tube whereas the proper 3m or Lifecalk grey or brown stuff is nearly £14 a tube from Force4. Bearing in mind the decks are likely to take at least 4 whole tubes, the B & Q white bathroom sealant product would represent a substantial saving which can be put toward the cost of the essential underwater lights which JFM may not otherwise be able to afford.

Cheers, Brian.

nice maths :p
however you seem to be missing a K after the 4 in the tubes... That's approximately how may 3quid tubes he should buy instead of the 14quid ones in order to save enough for the 6 u/w lights :D

thinking bout it, would be cheaper if he went clear silicone instead of white :rolleyes:

cheers

V.

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Haha for someone not into hifi that doesn't look too shabby! I've bought the fusion 700 (not fitted yet) but was recommended not to go for their sub as there are better (jvc or alpine I'm told)

I run an earlier model of the Fusion head unit with an Alpine amp, sub and speakers, and it all works very nicely for those occasions when you need a bit of Bolt Thrower, or Justin Bieber, in your life...

Cheers
Jimmy

rwoofer

Visit site
Curious why white chalking does not last as long as black. I would have thought black would be more susceptible to UV damage.

jfm

Visit site
Where are these fitted on boats (like Match2) with a big hilo platform? Or is the platform incompatible with a stern anchor?

Cheers
Jimmy
I think it would make sense to do this with a slot in the fixed part of the swim platform through which the anchor shank passes. The anchor head would be just below the platform when up, and the windlass above. All doable with careful design, but tbh I just don't want this hardware. I'd hardly use it anyway. I'll also comment in next post on the "customisation limit" for the Sq78 custom

jfm

Visit site

Cheers, Brian.
I'm taking it Brian/fatipa that you don't like white caulk or u/w lights? :D Actually on monetary things its the interior LED lighting that is costing an arm and a leg not the underwater stuff. Once you go for LED interior light with a high CRI and high colour temp consistency across >100 units, as opposed to the awful cheap chinese LED stuff which fails on both those counts, you are into £80 per ceiling light, erk

jfm

Visit site
Well done jfm for singlehandedly keeping the UK boat building industry in business:) I would definitely go for the white or grey caulking on the teak decks. Very classy IMHO. What are you doing about the anchoring arrangements? I seem to remember you were dissatisfied with the anchor size on Match 1 or am I wrong? Either way, maybe Match 2 is an opportunity to fit a big f*** off anchor/chain and windlass to ensure holding in most any conditions. What about a stern anchor with chain on a roller like Scandi boats for tight anchorages?
Thanks Deleted User. I think I am owed a rosette or something from the major of Oundle :)

I would love a 2-anchor set up like MYAG's but I was happy with Match1's set up in the end. 50kg delta and 120m of 12mm chain, all s/s, and hydraulic winch. It worked well tbh, so I'm sticking with that. Only mods are (a) one of those remotes on curly wire and (b) camera so I can see anchor exit the water and go into its resting position

I did sketch out an idea to mod the mould and redo the anchor but on this boat I hit the "customisation limit" with Fairline. They have been great, but there is a limit. Match 1 was their biggest customisation in terms of hours and since then they have done 3 boats nearly as heavily modded, but Match2 breaks all records. They got worried it would delay the later boats too much so disappointing customers in summer 2013, and also it risks busting their 2013 numbers if one or two 2013 boats got delayed to 2014, meaning they couldn't book the profit. So we agreed a customsation budget in the order of 1.5x Match1's hours, and I'm happy with that, but it meant I abandoned some ideas for some "nice to haves" which are high hours/low benefit, including creating a 2 anchor system. FWIW I am having a moulded compartment inside the bow locker for a 25kg Delta that I will lift out and deploy over a custom bow roller, so I'm sort of halfway there. I'm happy to compromise on this one a bit

Glad you like the white caulk idea. I'm becoming firmly in favour. Tender will be white caulked too!

jfm

Visit site
Thats quick - my smaller simpler sailyboat will be May and thats with the hull out of the mould this week!

There are about 80 guys building this though Barbican, and lots happens in parallel rather than in sequence. For example there are teams building the furniture and dashboards in separate areas of the factory at same time as the team working on/in the hull.

jfm

Visit site
Have there been any updates of the engines or are they the same spec as match 1 .
They are the same Cat C32 (love 'em) as Match1 but the ACERT version so different valvegear, heads, injectors. 1622hp and better low down power, the Fairline s78 chief tester in Ipswich tells me. Shafts are 1/4 inch dia bigger afaik, becuase higher torque.

I love the Cat C32. Smooth, quiet, and feels like it will never bust.

I'd like to order a chrome kit from the US Paul - maybe you could do a day's work fitting it for me next Spring? Just some pipes, rocker covers plus the intercooler top plate atop the engine I think

jfm

Visit site
Hi JFM

I have been looking forward to this new thread, congratulations first of all.

White caulking sounds interesting and I think will look nice.

Having skippered a 78 before my lasting memory was how awful the crew cabin was. Only one tiny window in the stern door and that didn't open. The crew cabin on that boat was also compromised because the owner had specified the gyro stabilisers. What a waste of space they were, literally. I think the sleipner option is ideal here.

I would be interested to see a pic of what you plan for your crew cabin. If I recall there is the space you just have to use it properly. Windows are a must though.

The boat I am skippering now was purchased from stock. We have chilled water system for aircon which is nice. One thing I would probably have speccd differently on our boat is to have one large generator and a small whisper generator. Currently we have 2 x 28kw units which are just to noisy for night time use. We don't tend to have aircon or stabilisers on at night so all we need is battery chargers and fridges etc.

I recently saw on a Princess storage bins over the top of the engine. They looked really good and provided good storage in engine room. One needs to consider practicalities of servicing the engines with something like that.

How about an underwater camera for watching the wild life.

We also have on our boat a FLIR camera. It is quite simply fantastic I love it.

Good luck with the build, I look forward to the updates.

Regards
Hi Lozzer
Yes I was on your s78 in the facotry and the gyros killed the crew cabin. There is a 2x seakeeper8000 sq78 in build now at the factory and they have doner a better job in temrs of losing less space to the gyros, but they still cut the crew cabin too far down imho. On Match 2 I reckon I'll have a fab crew cabin. 2 single beds, apart, L shape, convertible to a double. And with a wood -partition that bolts in to form 2 sep cabins. 2 windows, one opens, Garmin screen, nice shower room with Tecma WC. Then a mess area with laundry and a place to lie down. Sink, worktop, kettle, music, airco. It wil be very nice. The layout will be smae as Match 1, below, but in Walnut not oak
cabins16creworaftguesttwin-doubleconverter.jpg

utility-laundry-crew1lookingaft.jpg

utility-laundry-crew2lookingstarboard.jpg

utility-laundry-crew3lookingport.jpg

utility-laundry-crew4lookingforward.jpg

Match2 will have chilled water airco with all the compressor machinery away from cabins. And those storage bins above engines are on the spec list, copied from Princess! No Flir - I'm not convinced enough yet but maybe I need to play with one. I'll have a 12kw digi radar and some still secret screens set up. I though hsrd about small+large genset vs 2x large. I went for 2x large in the end. Too hard to fit 3. I try not to run any genset at night, so I preferred the redundancy of 2x large gensets each of whivch can run the whole boat. Fine call though

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
They are the same Cat C32 (love 'em) as Match1 but the ACERT version so different valvegear, heads, injectors. 1622hp and better low down power, the Fairline s78 chief tester in Ipswich tells me. Shafts are 1/4 inch dia bigger afaik, becuase higher torque.

I love the Cat C32. Smooth, quiet, and feels like it will never bust.

I'd like to order a chrome kit from the US Paul - maybe you could do a day's work fitting it for me next Spring? Just some pipes, rocker covers plus the intercooler top plate atop the engine I think

Hi John, yes please be happy to .