Boat in build pics (2013 Fairline Squadron 78)

A&K

Visit site
Hi JFM,
Spec sounds fantastic and obviously like the nightclubby theme. Am available to consult on this if needed...

Good plan on cabins / beds as max flexibility always better. Crew set up with screen a great way to get extra accommodation.

White caulking...a quick google search doesn't reveal that many images. K not convinced on practical issues - tougher to keep clean? I could be persuaded but I think it will need careful coordination with fabrics / cushions. lots of white / silver cushions? Even white fabric (but we're back to K's point...), disco ball? Ah, sorry, I'm back to my next project...

Looking forward to the rest of the build and seeing Match 2 in the flesh next yr.

A&K

Bojangles

Visit site
Looks huge, you must be really chuffed to see her started, an excellent winter project.

I like the look of the white caulking but I think it would be high maintenance, unless all your guests wear non marking soles, maybe not a big problem in the med as many will be barefoot?

Like the sound of the walnut and wenge interior, will it be white countertops? if yes I would suggest quartz rather than granite, very easy to look after, contemporary and stunning to look at.

Last edited:

John100156

Visit site
Now this thread is going to take some following and will soon I am sure be tens of pages long just like the last one - all very interesting and informative though so the time and effort involved in keeping us all up to date is much appreciated.

Now with regard to:

3. I’m thinking of having white caulked decks. What do people think? Hate ‘em? Love ‘em?

I quite like the idea of white caulking but I wonder how difficult it may be to maintain it clean and white! I would probably stick with black if I were you but it would be interesting to see the end result should you use white! So not much help here in that regard I'm afraid......

BartW

www.amptec.be
Something I wanted to asc you a long time ago;
How easy is it to use the steps to the platform when the passerelle is deployed ?

Something I really like on BA is that the rear steps are on port side while the passerelle is on SB side,
So alway’s easy access to the platform / Util room, also when moored; when the U/R is used most.
I’m sure you must have thought about this :)

I have'nt seen a lot of white caulking yet,
but I don’t like it (just taste)

Good luck again with a very interesting project !

rwoofer

Visit site
Great stuff and really looking forward to futher installments.

These build threads are always fascinating and really demonstrate why boats do cost serious money. When you just see the finished product you really don't appreciate the design and complexity that is behind it all and even more so on Match.

jfm

Visit site
Thanks for the thoughts and comments. I'll try to respond but only have half hour now...

White decks - tricky one and I've cogitated much, and am on a knife edge as to which I prefer. Much more complex imho than marmite, which you know you love or hate. With white caulking, it's hard to mke up your mind

Yep there aren't loads of pics. Try the princess 40m gallery, pages 8-14. And google image "wallypower 118" and "yacht chrisco" both of which I've been on and seen the decks up close. Also google image "yacht twizzle", the stunning huisman built 2 years ago. A+K, walk over to the electric blue Baia 70 italia moored at your starboard quarter - she has white decks. And thanks Whopper for the photoshopped picture above!

First off, I am trying to choose based on looks not easy maintenance. I know the white will need more cleaning but I'm ok with that. Also I think the white needs more teak cleaining - it looks rubbish if the decks go silvery and so the teak has to be kept straw brown to make the white caulk look nice

In terms of quality etc, if I go ahead with this the caulk will be supplied by TDS in florida. They make a silicone based caulk that is used on the white caulked Royal Huismans, Trinity yachts, etc. Aquapower you mentioned DA Watts - to be frank I love their teak products and have even specified at extra cost that they make all the tables on Match2, but I just don't rate their knowledge of caulking. They have been using Saba black caulking for a few years and it is junk (I had it on Match1 - never again) so i don't rate them as at all knowledgeable on this topic and they have no credentials in the Royal Huisman league. TDS in florida REALLY know their stuff and are the world's leading deck maker. They tell me that white caulk wont last as long as black (8-9 years instead of 12) but otherwise I will be fine. Watts aren't happy though and recommend against white, and of course Fairline sort of dont know so they agree with Watts who are their deck supplier, so if I go this route I will (a) pay extra for TDS caulk and (b) sign away my warranty rights on the decks. I'm happy with all that and wont let dont-run-with-scissors types spoil the boat. The choice needs to be made mainly on aesthetics therefore :)

Another alternative is light grey, see Fairline targa 50 and 58/62, but I just prefer white (or black) to grey. And btw, white caulk isn't actually new - Riva aquaramas s and Chriscrafts in the 50s and 60s had white caulked decks. You can argue that it's retro chic :D There's no right answer - this is one to cogitate on, though there's very little time left on this one. I'm grateful for the comments and that you didn't all shout "NOOOOOOO!" :)
wally-power-64.jpg

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
Something I wanted to asc you a long time ago;
How easy is it to use the steps to the platform when the passerelle is deployed ?
It's no problem BartW. Hard to see in pictures, but the transom step is wider than the passerelle, and the passerelle is offset outboard, so the steps are still perfectly usable when the passerelle is out. You are right to think about this - the aft utility/laundry is mostly used in port, when the passerelle is out, so you need to be able to get down to the swim platform easily

jfm

Visit site
What is your plan for audio/visuals?

I'm not that nto hifi Jon and tbh I cant be nothered with central server feeding all rooms. But here is the spec:

1. Saloon has B+O high def TV with bluRay, up/down mech and the BEO6 remote
2. KVH autoskew M7 sat domes on mast (all GPS clobber, navtex antenna, etc, goes in the dummy, to tidy the mast loads compared with Match1)
3. Saloon has the gorgeous Beosound 5
bangolufsen-beosound5-1.jpg

plus 7.1 sound, gas-lantern b+O speakers with individual 230v amps for each speaker, and subwoofer
There is then another B+O link amp and Bose 131 w/proof speakers on lower aft deck
Fly deck has the new Fusion 700 with colour screen and 4 speakers + sub, and can take an ipod input or aux-out from the downstairs B+O for party mode (same music throughout boat)
All cabins have the new ultra thin Samsung TV with Fusion 700 for radio, DVD and a funky colour screen
Master cabin will have 40 inch ultra thin Samsung Smart TV with internet etc, on swing out bracket, and with Harman Kardon BluRay and HK speakers + subwoofer

That is way more hifi than I really need or want and I have exceeded my appetite of looking at hifi websites and brochures. I'm much more interested in Caterpillar engine brochures, mmmmmm! Apart from the music, I dont use any of this stuff. On Match1, I think I watched one movie ever in the mastercabin and probably fell asleep. Bit of a waste really :D

jfm

Visit site
can store all the films ... you could ever want.
All four of them Rafiki? :D

See post above. In reality as I see it, when you have great weather you spend time on a boat crusing, swimming, playing, having great meals and wine with friends, listening to music, fixing bogs, staring at a beautiful engine room, but not watching movies :). The B+O server has 500Gb or a Tb, not sure, of music storage. I need to get all my CDs re-ripped as lossless, not compressed files

vas

Visit site
Another alternative is light grey, see Fairline targa 50 and 58/62, but I just prefer white (or black) to grey. And btw, white caulk isn't actually new - Riva aquaramas s and Chriscrafts in the 50s and 60s had white caulked decks. You can argue that it's retro chic :D [/img]

JFM, 60s white chaulking was on high gloss finish overall (not even sure it was actually chaulk or white wood insets...) and that's v.different (to my mind) to proper teak. So put me for a no :p

V.

PS. will investigate grey for MiToS though and would be nice to tell us a bit more on what's the best chaulk to use (I was told not to use sika and use saba instead..)

jfm

Visit site
Jumping ahead to the end somewhat, but have you still got the Laser dinghy from Match 1 or will you do without?

(Its the only raggie question I could think of!) :eek:
I have toyed with jetski but sense has prevailed \nick and I will put the Laser from Match1 on. Really happy with that decision! I didn't like the Laser chocks on Match 1 so I plan to have some more stylish s/steel chocks laser cut for the Laser, on Match2

My sons were the only voters for jetski but even they weren't that bothered about it, and the £8k that the things cost provides an awfully big fund to rent them off the beach when they do feel like a jetski blast, if you see what I mean

I'm planning a nice tender too - more on that in a week or two. And of course MRC's gorgeous Capelli (see other post) as a chase boat and tender to tow to local anchorages

jfm

Visit site
what's the best chaulk to use (I was told not to use sika and use saba instead..)
Use saba at your peril. It is awful junk. I had it on Match1 so I am talking first hand. TDS florida is the stuff to use, the 440, and they do black white or grey. Royal Huisman use TDS.

Saba is easy to work and you can sand it in <day, so installers and builders love it. It's the owner who gets the downside... I'm paying more for TDS (whether I choose balck or white) becuase of extra work/time cost at the deckmaking firm for TDS compared with Saba

On Riva/Chriscraft, yes you are right, but I meant the general look :D.

Lozzer

Visit site
Hi JFM

I have been looking forward to this new thread, congratulations first of all.

White caulking sounds interesting and I think will look nice.

Having skippered a 78 before my lasting memory was how awful the crew cabin was. Only one tiny window in the stern door and that didn't open. The crew cabin on that boat was also compromised because the owner had specified the gyro stabilisers. What a waste of space they were, literally. I think the sleipner option is ideal here.

I would be interested to see a pic of what you plan for your crew cabin. If I recall there is the space you just have to use it properly. Windows are a must though.

The boat I am skippering now was purchased from stock. We have chilled water system for aircon which is nice. One thing I would probably have speccd differently on our boat is to have one large generator and a small whisper generator. Currently we have 2 x 28kw units which are just to noisy for night time use. We don't tend to have aircon or stabilisers on at night so all we need is battery chargers and fridges etc.

I recently saw on a Princess storage bins over the top of the engine. They looked really good and provided good storage in engine room. One needs to consider practicalities of servicing the engines with something like that.

How about an underwater camera for watching the wild life.

We also have on our boat a FLIR camera. It is quite simply fantastic I love it.

Good luck with the build, I look forward to the updates.

Regards

vas

Visit site
Use saba at your peril. It is awful junk. I had it on Match1 so I am talking first hand. TDS florida is the stuff to use, the 440, and they do black white or grey. Royal Huisman use TDS.

Saba is easy to work and you can sand it in <day, so installers and builders love it. It's the owner who gets the downside... I'm paying more for TDS (whether I choose balck or white) becuase of extra work/time cost at the deckmaking firm for TDS compared with Saba

OK, you've persuaded me, got to find a dealer with reasonable pricing for TDS, or do you order straight over the pond? Not keen as tax gets in between and all goes horribly expensive...

You are right on sanding, I was told that decent chaulking cures at a rate of 1mm per day, so best to leave for at least a week before attempting to sand ;)

cheers

V.

jonnybuoy

Visit site
I'm not that nto hifi Jon and tbh I cant be nothered with central server feeding all rooms. But here is the spec:

1. Saloon has B+O high def TV with bluRay, up/down mech and the BEO6 remote
2. KVH autoskew M7 sat domes on mast (all GPS clobber, navtex antenna, etc, goes in the dummy, to tidy the mast loads compared with Match1)
3. Saloon has the gorgeous Beosound 5
bangolufsen-beosound5-1.jpg

plus 7.1 sound, gas-lantern b+O speakers with individual 230v amps for each speaker, and subwoofer
There is then another B+O link amp and Bose 131 w/proof speakers on lower aft deck
Fly deck has the new Fusion 700 with colour screen and 4 speakers + sub, and can take an ipod input or aux-out from the downstairs B+O for party mode (same music throughout boat)
All cabins have the new ultra thin Samsung TV with Fusion 700 for radio, DVD and a funky colour screen
Master cabin will have 40 inch ultra thin Samsung Smart TV with internet etc, on swing out bracket, and with Harman Kardon BluRay and HK speakers + subwoofer

That is way more hifi than I really need or want and I have exceeded my appetite of looking at hifi websites and brochures. I'm much more interested in Caterpillar engine brochures, mmmmmm! Apart from the music, I dont use any of this stuff. On Match1, I think I watched one movie ever in the mastercabin and probably fell asleep. Bit of a waste really :D

Haha for someone not into hifi that doesn't look too shabby! I've bought the fusion 700 (not fitted yet) but was recommended not to go for their sub as there are better (jvc or alpine I'm told)

andy59

Visit site
Congratulations on laying the keel as it were JFM , do you think you will be able to achieve any more space in the engine room on Match 2 . I seem to recall that by the time you had the generators / shore power cable / hydraulic pack for the stabs and those two big Cats there was hardly room to swing a kitten on Match 1 . Looking forward to seeing all the clever engineering that goes into a boat so complex .

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
This is going to be a great thread, I can't wait to see it all coming together later in the build, the new mods sound great ideas, keep this pics coming.

Have there been any updates of the engines or are they the same spec as match 1 .

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Well done jfm for singlehandedly keeping the UK boat building industry in business:) I would definitely go for the white or grey caulking on the teak decks. Very classy IMHO. What are you doing about the anchoring arrangements? I seem to remember you were dissatisfied with the anchor size on Match 1 or am I wrong? Either way, maybe Match 2 is an opportunity to fit a big f*** off anchor/chain and windlass to ensure holding in most any conditions. What about a stern anchor with chain on a roller like Scandi boats for tight anchorages?

vas

Visit site
What about a stern anchor with chain on a roller like Scandi boats for tight anchorages?

was thinking of that myself, but always confused on how that works on a mobo with wrong slope on the stern. Any ideas/images that show how it works? Then the aft deck capstan winch can be a full blown one with a gypsy...

V.