Boat for river

Sybarite

Visit site
Living on a river, I have for some time been envisaging a dayboat. It would need to :-
1) have very good pointing ability to get upsteam against the current and wind, 2) be stable; no flighty dinghies - those days are over.
3) Room for family of 4
4) Self tacking fore-sail
5) It would be nice if it were elegant
6) Possibly self build but not essential.
7) Mast height less than 8m (bridges)
8) If keel boat, relatively shallow

Any suggestions?

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Something designed for the job

A Thames Rater, naturally.

rate0017.jpg

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

Forbsie

Visit site
If you fancy something classic, let me know. It should be clear of 40 years of crap any day now. Looks really great.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/forbsie?&page=1>My Project</A>

townquay

Visit site
If your talking 2nd- hand you could do a lot worse that look for what you want on the Norfolk Broads. There are plenty of clubs up there who will be on the web(especially on the broads) who use or know the type of boat you are describing to a tee and the boats tend to have a bit of class about them too. Even the local brokers maay help!

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
Hawk 20?

I've been impressed by these, stable lifting keel day-boat comfortable for 4 yet with the sort of performance you need for working up river against the wind. Mast height is nearer 9m than 8m, though I think it is possible to fit a tabernacle. Downside is the cost, about £16,000.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.hawk20.co.uk/>Link to HAWK 20</A>

longjohnsilver

Visit site
How about a Devon yawl? Good looking boats, very stable, but not sure about the air draft, lifting keel, would suit your needs nicely.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
a 12 sq m sharpie would fit the bill. gunter rig so you can shoot bridges, lots of weight and momentum in case a stinkie fails to give way.

or you could buy my classic international 14, specially designed for performance on rivers.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Hoaroak

Visit site
What about a Drascombe longboat cruiser. Plenty of room for the family in the cockpit, and a cuddy cabin which the kids would like on a wet day. 10" draught with plate up, pretty and traditional, and could be trailered by one person. Downside is tacking, as the boat is not close winded, but an outboard is easier ! Rig is gunter, meaning a short mast which is easy to lay down, and with a soldiers wind they will go like the clappers!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Forbsie

Visit site
Someone said that the boat I'm talking about was like a Sharpie. Designed by A. Romney Green and built by Sandy Scott. I'll take a photo of it tomorrow once the mast is on.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/forbsie?&page=1>My Project</A>

nodder

Visit site
I would like to suggest a Timpenny 670, this Australian designed trailer sailer meets most of your criteria, with good pointing ability,can sleep a cosy four, self tacking jib, 10" draft with the plate up,self righting.
When i bought mine spent some time on the web trying to find other owners, one of whom keeps in regular contact sails his on the Broads, reckons its ideal for short tacking upriver . I bought mine to do some creek crawling , with its shallow draft you can get where most others cant.They go for around £4000 but thats with everything ,VHF, outboard,GPS etc. If your interested i've loads of info i could fax or post to you,(No good at E-mail attachments)

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sybarite

Visit site
Many thanks to everybody for the suggestions. I will go away and digest them.

Some other possibilities that attract me :

Coquina )
Haven 12 1/2 ) both Herreschoff designs
Cormoran 4m50
Tofinou
Jolie Morgann
Jolie Môme
Vent d'Ouest
Yngling

All probably out of my price range but lovely boats in their way.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>