Boat continually set adrift - River Wey

Cliveshep

Visit site
We moor at the Pelican Inn, River Wey. It has been reported to us by the lengthsman that our boat, and only our boat, has been set adrift three times over the last week or so. they suggest we chain it up which I am reluctant to do as the surge caused by passing NB's would damage fittings etc with the snatch of a chain. However, I'm going to hawser it with a couple of slack hawsers (wire rope) as well as the mooring ropes.

If any member walks that section of the Wey and sees some kids (I assume) casting an Ocean 30 (or any other boat) adrift, please call plod and report it, and if a mobile phone camera could be employed this would also be good.

I have no idea why our boat alone should be singled out for this unwanted attention, but it is causing some headache for the lengsthman and sooner or later damage will be caused.

Many thanks.

alistairedw

Visit site
If I am leaving my mobo unattended on a pontoon overnight I use my normal mooring lines plus some heavy chain & a big padlock.

I am hoping that anyone intent on setting boats adrift will not bother uncleating my lines once they see the chain.

To protect the boat from any damage I have put some heavy duty plastic pipe over the chain.

Doolittle

Visit site
My stag do started at the Pelican a few decades ago /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

A well protected chain is definately the way to go. The majority of boats moored alongsite the towpath between Staines and Chertsey use this now.

Cliveshep

Visit site
Thanks everyone, I spoke to the Wey people last night, apparantly because of fire risk they do not permit boats to be chained up as they cannot easily be moved. However, local Beat Officer has promised to walk the stretch when local kids get out of school. The Lengthsman will keep a close eye out on that stretch as well, and I am advised to drop anchor over the bow/stern so it won't go walk-about if it does get untied.

They say that the kids will get fed up with the game soon enough and find something else to do, I just hope it doesn't cause damage!

oldgit

Visit site
Sorry to here about your tribulations,if it is any consolation,the problem is not confined to you and your boat.A couple of years ago my boat(moored mid river to a storage barge ) was cast adrift and ended up on the sea wall about a mile up river.Now firmly secured with padlock/thick wire hawser made up by local sling company in the end.