Boat acquisition budget

Visit site
After 11 months of searching I think I have found a second hand yacht at a price that will allow me to buy and refit without breaking the bank.

I’ll probably plague you folks with many refit/equipment questions in future months but for the moment I am trying to estimate the bills I will run up in the first few 100 sea miles getting her home.

The GRP yacht has been sitting unused out of the water for 1 or maybe 2 years, which probably means some costly surprises. I would be grateful for comments on the following mechanical / financial check list:

Survey.
Insurance.
Broker charge for yard space (something to negotiate before purchase).
Or maybe charge for a lift over to general yard space.
Frequent weekend travel to distant yard until Easter.
Lift-in.
1 month on local marina pontoon.

New fire-safety equipment because initial refit work is likely to be a high risk period i.e. me fiddling with wires.

Complete diesel fuel system drain and clean.
Change oil and cooling system.
Replace water pump impeller and anode.
New batteries.
Maybe replace a stay or two depending what surveyor thinks essential.
Checkout running rigging.

Buy handheld GPS for basic get-me-home navigation based on GPS+Compass.

claymore

Visit site
Thats an interesting opening line - without breaking the bank! It will break the bank because thats what boats are for! It wouldn't be worth doing unless it did break the bank!
Anyway starters for 10
Survey - 150
Insurance - £300 - £500 p.a.
lift in £100
I month in marina - depends on length (as does everything else) say £100-150

What have you seen?

regards
Claymore

poter

Still going south currently in Corsica for winter
www.fairhead.com
One of the best places for a handheld GPS is GPS warehouse on

http://www.gpsw.co.uk/index.htm

They have some private sales as well.
Have a look at the MLR sp24 as its around £100 and has all you will need.
Where are you sailing from - to?
You will obviously need some charts and pilot books & as its nearly xmas I am sure there will be a few second hand channel pilot/charts around, why not ask on the wanted board.

cheers

poter.

IanPoole2

Visit site
have you investigated getting the boat transported to your locality. It may be surprising how inexpensive this is, esp. if you have a local cheaper yard and if you are going to make several journey's of 100's miles to work on the boat

Visit site
Thank you for those estimates.

Can anyone guess how many hours a mechanic would need to flush through a fuel system and get a yacht diesel fired up after a year or two of inactivity? Let's assume it was a runner originally.

Given the long idle period on the hard would the tank require a pressure clean, it is stainless steel?

> What have you seen?

This comment is not directed at the regulars here, but I am going to be a little evasive on this subject until the deal is completed, then I will bore you all to death about my new boat.

Chris_Stannard

Visit site
One thing to look at is the way the keel is fitted. If it is cast iron and goes into a flat hull you will need the boat to be lifted in a cradle so you can mahe sure the sealant round the edge of the keel is okay. I would be inclined to dig it out if in doubt, prime with Force9 (?) and then refill with sealant before anti fouling. Trouble is that if the boat has been sitting on here keel for some time every thing will have tended to relax down round the keel root.

Chris Stannard

davtt

Visit site
If you're going to sail her home, you might like to think about making sure you have a VHF set. Also don't forget the other basic safety equipment like lifejackets etc. All these things add up and will help you get your Bank Managers attention.

Best of luck, DaveT

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Battery acquisition budget/sails

After such a long time ashore one thing that might need replacing is the battery(ies) unless they've been cared for by trickle charging. Count in maybe £100 each for them, and make sure the charging system hanging off the engine is going to keep them healthy.

Also, have sails been looked after during their 'rest'? If not, there may be damp or mould to deal with, as well as the usual burst stitching and chafe to make good.