Blue water sailing, red tape upon entering countries.

fredrussell

Visit site
I’ve always wondered how things work for blue water sailors when it comes to entering each new country, especially whilst circumnavigating. Does one generally need some sort of prior ‘consent to enter’ or a visa perhaps, or can the wandering sailor usually just turn up unannounced and deal with all the bureaucracy after sorting somewhere to put the boat?
I realise different countries will have differing arrangements in this area, but is there a ‘norm’ that long distance cruisers observe?

capnsensible

Visit site
Your pilot guide will tell you about 'ports of entry' and where various offices are. Usually a visit will be required to Customs, Immigration, Port Police or Harbour Authority. Some places are easy. Some make charges. Some places it's such a pita it's worth hiring an agent.

I've lost count of the hours I've spent clearing in and out in some grubby, dusty manky old office in some hot and sweaty .....paradise. Some staff are great, some aren't. But I always reminded myself I'm a guest in their country and if they don't do their job properly, they'll lose it.

So, my advice is front up clean and tidy, remain cheerful and chat to them about their country, family and any sport that catches your fancy. Football always works.

Visa requirements need sorting well in advance.

dansaskip

seabear.uk
In addition to what capnsensible and Tranona say - I found that most places I could just turn up at the correct port of entry ( having checked with the relevant guidance) and present myself and papers to the authorities. Sometimes it was quick and easy and others took a little more effort. Some places however require notification in advance (NZ and Australia spring to mind, probably more) and if you forgo that you will be in serious trouble. None of the many places I stopped in at required a visa in advance for a British passport holder, you were issued a visa at the time. Of course this was before this silly B thing happened and it in certain places it is much more difficult now.

V1701

Visit site
Copies of documents in case they want to keep one & an official looking rubber stamp with boat name, port of registry, SSR number. There's a few places where they love a stamp...:D

DanTribe

Visit site
I was watching one of those border force TV programmes.
A returning Canadian single handed yachtsman was fined $1000 for picking up a mooring before going to the border force jetty.
Seemed a bit harsh?

KevinV

Visit site
Biggest pita place is......the USA. No visa, no entry. For cruisers, that's the USVI and Puerto Rico.
Ain't that the truth - 20 years later I'm still traumatised by the 4.5 hour "voluntary" interview at Mayaguez because the skipper had overlooked the fact that I didn't have a visa.

I've always wondered whether the attempt to enter illegally (as they saw it) would preclude me from getting a visa if I applied.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Ain't that the truth - 20 years later I'm still traumatised by the 4.5 hour "voluntary" interview at Mayaguez because the skipper had overlooked the fact that I didn't have a visa.

I've always wondered whether the attempt to enter illegally (as they saw it) would preclude me from getting a visa if I applied.
No 'twang' of marigold gloves? You missed out on that experience ;)

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
The quickest way to make the whole process a LOT slower and more painful is to start being arsy. I’ve seen it happen more than once. Keep cheerful, keep smiling and be friendly. It might still be painful and slow in some places but rest assured that you can make it a whole lot more painful and slower by starting to kick off.

Last edited:

fredrussell

Visit site
You're thinking of striking out as far as Kent, our maybe even Norfolk? ;)
Such far flung places as those are just a dream. Having now been sailing for nearly a decade I feel I am finally ready to leave the Orwell. This year I intend to round the cape (Shotley Spit) and mount an expedition into the mysterious Stour Estuary.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Such far flung places as those are just a dream. Having now been sailing for nearly a decade I feel I am finally ready to leave the Orwell. This year I intend to round the cape (Shotley Spit) and mount an expedition into the mysterious Stour Estuary.

You'd better get busy then and apply for a visa for Essex.

john_morris_uk

I’ve thought of another tip. Make sure you clear out of each country/province/island properly. The next place you visit are likely to get VERY stroppy with you if you can’t produce the right papers showing that you cleared out of your previous country correctly.

Some Caribbean islands make life very easy and if you’re only staying a few days you can clear in and out at the same time. Other places you go and get in the queue again.

PS some cruising ‘people’ are not very good at queuing.

Tradewinds

Visit site
Don't disrespect the official in uniform. Dress with respect to the offices/officials you're visiting. Keep smiling.
Usually it's a relatively pain-free experience (or it was for me!).

They must be sick of You Tubers. JM have you seen many on your travels so far?

andsarkit

Visit site
I’ve thought of another tip. Make sure you clear out of each country/province/island properly. The next place you visit are likely to get VERY stroppy with you if you can’t produce the right papers showing that you cleared out of your previous country correctly.
Some years ago I flew out to Israel to work on a ship and had my passport stamped on the way in. During the night the ship moved along to the next port with me aboard. When I was ready to fly home the immigration wouldn't let me off the ship because I hadn't cleared out of the previous port and so I couldn't enter again. Common sense prevailed in the end but bureaucracy can be a pain.

geem

Visit site
We often hear from Americans complaining about the clearence process in the Caribbean islands. When I explain to them what clearing in to the USA involves they tend to shut up. First you have to apply for a 10 year US visa. The form is filled in online and takes about 2 hours. You then travel to London for a 15 minute interview. There was a 9 month waiting list for an interview the last time we looked. When you get your visa you are then allowed to take your boat to the US. But, don't travel to Cuba first and try and clear in in certain parts of Florida. Friends have been tracked with their AIS and refused entry. Something that isn't illegal to foreign flagged vessels but is illegal to US flagged vessels.
Canadian friends bought a tea towel in the USA once. It was a map of North America. They noticed later than Cuba had been removed from the map! All other Caribbean islands were there!

john_morris_uk

Don't disrespect the official in uniform. Dress with respect to the offices/officials you're visiting. Keep smiling.
Usually it's a relatively pain-free experience (or it was for me!).

They must be sick of You Tubers. JM have you seen many on your travels so far?
We’ve been in the same anchorage as one of two but kept well away. (Usually because we were unaware of who the YouTubers were until we were told.)

michael_w

Visit site
Wearing decent clothes and shoes is important. I remember seeing a very scantily clad lady getting very grumpy as she was being utterly ignored whilst trying to clear in at Rodney Bay.