Blue water sailing boat

billy_bros

Visit site
I am considering replacing my 26ft sailing boat with something larger and capable of Blue water sailing. My current list includes Rival 36, Rustler 36, Tradewind 35, Vancouver 36 and Hallberg Rassey 36. Has anyone got any other model they consider worth looking at, I would prefer a long keeler to a fin keel.

JREdginton

Visit site
Victoria 34 /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Mmmm, really nice yachts. Covered a few ocean miles in one of these and never had cause for concerm. Tramped on at a fair lick, built like a proverbial brick ***house, stable as they come, loverly finish, blah blah blah.

[edit] I know it's fin and skeg, but it is a very very loing fin [/edit]

Judders

Visit site
Have sailed a fair bit on Vic 34s and a Swan and would suggest a big thumbs up for both (so long as you have no interest in pot-hunting).

firstascent2002

Visit site
No budget constraints then get a Swan 38. I've logged about 8000 miles in one and find her utterly flawless. On a transat last year I had a sustained f8 + for 2 days. Top wind spead recorded at 74 knts!. Thankfully the heavy rain kept the worst of the breaking waves down. Lay a hull for 18 hours with the self steering gear up out of the water and the wheel locked to weather and she minded her manners beautifully. Being on a much tighter budget I have just bought a hustler 30. Deep fin and skeg. Serious sea boat for a less serious budget. Have done one transat in a tradewinds (35 I think). Loveley boat. Alittle undercanvassed and a bugger because every nut and bolt onboark is imperial and we had some repairs to make in st johns!

SQUIRRELS

Visit site
Vancouver 34 classic or pilot. Just because of the length, don't underestimate the storage on them and the cutter rig gives considerable flexibility.
Or, Malo - again designed to stay in one bit!

Goldie

Visit site
Obviously budget will play a part, what do you expect to have to spend?

I'm biased towards the Biscay 36, but would also suggest HR352, 38/382 (all long fin and skeg), Giles 38, early Bowman 40 (Yes it was a long keel - not the Chuck Paine design), Nic 38, Nic 39 (long fin and skeg)... there's quite a list once you start!

TigaWave

www.H4marine.com
So not worth looking at a Bavaria then? still one of my favourites for Ocean crossing. If any one has sailed on one built before 1991 and found anything bad to say about them... nows your chance...
I'm comparing it to Twister, Rival 38, Sweden 38, Sigma 36, 38, as these are the only boats I know really well.

Ex-SolentBoy

Visit site
I am a Rustler 36 owner and know of several for sale. Either way I would be happy to give you any help you need in terms of Rustlers.