Blue Angel, Rome Marseille delivery trip

BartW

www.amptec.be
Ouch ,, sorry to hear about your problems. No practical advice other than the locations of Lofrans dealers in South of France.

Acastillage Bernard (also part of Navimo Group) and REYA are the local distributors for Lofrans both are based in the close ( 4 km) vicinity of La Napoule marina if you are looking for a berth; although the bay of La Napoule is a safe anchorage ( if you still can) in the Western 'corner' near La Rague/ Theoule. Antibes is about 30 km from either so if you are going there then I suggest an advance booking?

Thanks for the info EME,
on monday will do some phone calls,
distances are no problem, on wednesday a friend is coming with his car (and JFM offered me his)

plan is to look / call around here on cote d'azur, if anybody / chandler has a horizontal windle ass in stock,
it doesn't matter what model, as long it is ok for my anker and 12mm chain.
Later in winter time, might try to repair the old one.

Have tools on board for replacing
needed quite of few of these tools the last couple of day's :)
but appart from the windle ass, no big technical problems until today,
just the regular broken locks on lockers, lamp bulb replacing, toilet flushing stucked, leaking water hose, power cable adapter sockets, .... all you might expect on a 20yo boat :)

everything arranged (thanks JFM !!!) for our next stop in Antibes tomorrow, after some side seeing in Monaco, Cannes,
and perhaps try to go on anker for lunch and swimming,
just drop the anker on a long rope
its a sand anker, forgot the name, I guess about 30 kg

BartW

www.amptec.be
Sounds like a great trip.

Have you done much slow speed running? Do you know what the consumption is like at tick over and what sort of speed you make?

it certainly is exiting Jez !

have not done any "pootling" as Mike Huricane calls it,
but this morning tested at tickover,
both engines at 600rpm, speed is 5 to 6 kn

oh yes just ones on one of our first local Rome trips,
when I was steeming at 9kn,
swmbo was annoyed, "why don't you go on now" :)
then I explained her about fuel consumption, and boating "time" she didn't say a word the next few moments :eek:

in harbours I usually drive her on one engine, alternating P and S
just to keep speed slow of this huge machine...

it is difficult to find the planing speed, in fact you can do any speed between 5 to 20 kn, and no real difference in behaviour, inclination of the hull,
have to do some more testing on that.
The biggest boat I ever helmed is my own 28ft Karnic,
this C70 is a completely other world.

no idea about fuel cons. at tickover nor max displacement speed
but at normal cruising speed 2000rpm, 18-20 kn,
consumption =< 300l/hour

BartW

www.amptec.be
I check on the webcam of Portofino everyday, and I think it was Thursday evening I saw a Canados 70S there.
http://www.marinadiportofino.com/index.php/content/view/41/54/
Today there is a VZ68 and what is a Sessa C54 Sport, plus a Super Yacht which looks a Feadship.
I look in the webcam of Portofino nearly everyday in Summer when I am here, and same for the one of Porto Cervo.
The sea should be no good as it is SW according to my friends and is quite bumpy. Same here as it weekend inside SE 4/5 turning NW 5/6 with peaks of 7 in the afternoon.

I didn't even try to have a berth in Portofino,
at arrival yesterday 18h we went in and out PF, but bad vis. sun on the wrong side,
when we left today around 13h, we went again in / out,
vis was perfect then.
overnight we stayed in Lavagna

BartW

www.amptec.be
The sea should be no good as it is SW according to my friends and is quite bumpy. Same here as it weekend inside SE 4/5 turning NW 5/6 with peaks of 7 in the afternoon.

we went around the big thunderstorm,
yesterday annoing long big waves on beam, swmbo wanted to know everything about stabilising fins :)
went zig zag for a while

today these waves were straight on the bow
Waw that C70 rides nice,
70 tons air borne a few times :eek:

BartW

www.amptec.be
Are you planning any dives, somewhere along the route?

apart from some long abnea dives to scrub the shells from the props,
no dives planned,
Remember I flew to Rome by Ryanair, and they have a strong weight restriction. The air tank didn't fit in :)

moreover
when helming such a nice lady, the interest for the diving is at lo level right now

jfm

Visit site
I had the pleasure of a tour of the famous Blue Angel today. She is berhted in Antibes tonight. Many thanks Bart, Elly and family/friends for your hospitality and kind presents.

Blue Angel is a beautiful machine. Fantastic interior, perfectly kept. And huge amounts of space - massive saloon and 4 big cabins (plus crew cabin) Really big engine room with lots of space and a pair of very good looking MANs that seemed pretty perfect - not a drop of dirt or oil anywhere. She is heading on westwards tomorrow. Bon voyage Bart

BartW

www.amptec.be
Any news on the anchor winch Bart?

just found a new one in a warehouse in stock in Lyon,
but the administration / buraucratie seems more difficult then the delivery

going to leave Antibes in 10 minutes
this place here was a very nice discovery !!!
and friendly people :)

BartW

www.amptec.be
We've got a mooring in Hyère harbour
have now found two sources for that winch which is in the warehouse in Lyon,

payed a deposit here at a local chandler,
price is good !

yes it works to meet people in person look them in the eyes and have a chat with them. ;)

hopefully the delivery is on thursday at the latest as promised

now a few day's relaxing
kids go home tomorrow,
new guests, friends coming on wednesday,
no planning / timing / weather / get a mooring / get a new whinch - stress - for a while

AndieMac

Visit site
We've got a mooring in Hyère harbour
have now found two sources for that winch which is in the warehouse in Lyon,

payed a deposit here at a local chandler,
price is good !

yes it works to meet people in person look them in the eyes and have a chat with them. ;)

hopefully the delivery is on thursday at the latest as promised

now a few day's relaxing
kids go home tomorrow,
new guests, friends coming on wednesday,
no planning / timing / weather / get a mooring / get a new whinch - stress - for a while

You've got a lot going on Bart, trying to combine a; delivery/family-friends holiday/vessel and skipper shakedown, all in the one voyage.
You won't be able to relax properly until the lines are on in her new home berth, but in the mean time a bit of anxiety keeps things interesting. :)

BartW

www.amptec.be
You won't be able to relax properly until the lines are on in her new home berth, but in the mean time a bit of anxiety keeps things interesting. :)

it seems so AndieMac,
but that's another story causing stress,

in april I called 2 potential options,
both of them had space available

1. a private harbour close to Marseille
for us the perfect location, very close to the airport(20min),
close to our preferred cruising / diving area,
20nm to Cassis,
close by car, (1000km)
but high price (2400+ euro/month)

2. Port Napoleon (Rhone valley)
many maintenance facility's,
huge space,
low price (1200+ euro/month)
but not so nice, and at further distance,
40nm from cassis
2hours drive from airport

as we couldn't decide, and don't know yet if we will bring BA back to Rome in wintertime, we did not make any reservation.
two weeks ago, one week before departure, wanted to reserve option 1, but no space available, or no way to make a reservation.
Then option 2,
no mooring space in the water But,
They have lots of space on the dry, and put your boat in the water each time when you come,
We decided that’s ok for 6 months, good for drying the hull, do some cleaning or repair work, …etc.
But jus before finalizing the contract, I called the harbour for some last details, and got the info that the maximum weight of their crane is 65 TON, :eek:
BA is approx 70T
So we had to start from scratch, almost middle in the high season :eek:
After a few desparate phone calls with the “Dutch” manager of port Napoleon, he confirmed a space until half September,
so I am still looking for a mooring space in winter time.
Plan is to talk in person to some harbours now during this trip,

Just 1hour ago, I spoke with the general manager here in Hyeres, and it seems that he might have one space available,
Belgium chocolats are opening doors for me, ;) but I ran out of stock today :)
Hyeres harbour is OK, airport VERY close, but no regular flights to B in wintertime I believe.
position is interesting, just in the middle between Region Varoise and Coted'azur

So the next two weeks will visit a few other harbours region Varoise …tbc
Shouldn’t a boating holiday be relaxing ?

jfm

Visit site
Bart, the Belgian chocolates are fantastic, thank you. I can see why they open doors

That sounds all a bit stressful. I hope you can get it fixed soon. Have you tried St Laurent du Var marina,. right next to Nice Airport?

I wonder if BA is really 70t, if empty of fuel? I know it is built solidly, but it is 70 feet and the engines are not big/heavy. It would be interesting to know properly the weight. I have a little suspicion it is only 60-65t (with no fuel/water) but of course I am just guessing. I know for sure my boat is 54tonnes (no fuel/water), and the engines in her are 2.9tonnes each, heavier than yours

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
Bart, if you have a berth until mid September then you're almost home and dry. You'll have no problem finding a winter berth from October onwards. Some of the public ports in Cd'A even offer half price monthly berthing in the winter (Golfe Juan for example), usually from around the middle of October.

Hurricane

Visit site
Bart, the Belgian chocolates are fantastic, thank you. I can see why they open doors

That sounds all a bit stressful. I hope you can get it fixed soon. Have you tried St Laurent du Var marina,. right next to Nice Airport?

I wonder if BA is really 70t, if empty of fuel? I know it is built solidly, but it is 70 feet and the engines are not big/heavy. It would be interesting to know properly the weight. I have a little suspicion it is only 60-65t (with no fuel/water) but of course I am just guessing. I know for sure my boat is 54tonnes (no fuel/water), and the engines in her are 2.9tonnes each, heavier than yours

WE "weigh in" at 42 tons (full of fuel and water) - as indicated on the travel hoist.
If thats any help

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
A sistership to Blu Angel, Neffertari once booked a hoist lift up in a yard in Malta to check, clean props before going back home but they could not do it because the boat was above 75t loaded with tender and 3/4 tanks, crane limit was 75t.
So the yard manager decided to cancel it. I think Neffertari had GM 1080hp which weigh may be a bit more to MANS.
At the time in Malta the other yard only offered slip way launch and was a bit too complicated for check clean props and shafts etc

EME

www.lumishore.com
Bart .. I'm with Nick. Loads of 25m berths come available for a few months in the winter ... I'd have said starting October but splitting hairs. Easy for me to say as mine isn't big enough for Blue Angel .. St Laurent already suggested, probably the cheapest .. Antibes, Beaulieu, Cannes, La Rague all have big enough hoists as well ( I think). At the latter Arie de Boom may well be able to take you on the hard ... (I 'd have to check with them).

I'm amazed La Ciotat hasnt got room ..