Blue Angel (Canados 70s) Rebuild thread

BartW

www.amptec.be
should really give us of an overview of the work to be done, bulwarks, f/b, painting the whole superstructure again?

sorry crossed posts!
you more or less cleared all that on your last post

V.
Basically its a total overhaul of everything above deck level, including building the extensions of the side deck overhang, and new teak on FB and swim platform
I gave them a detailed list with pictures when they came onboard before making a quote,
after they made the quote, we looked again at all the details before confirming the work.

the repair on the gunwale, aswell as a few hidden rotten spots came as extra's, after they started the works,

so far very pleased with the work they did (touch wood !)

BartW

www.amptec.be
Is this being done by one company in their boat shed...or is it your premises and you hire artisans when you need them?

yes its a yard in south sardegna, in Sant Antioco, close to the island St Pietro - Carloforte, homebase of forum member MapisM
so I'm suported with lots of good advice over there :) (y)
they have all the skills needed for this work, I'm really impressed with the quality of their workers while being at a fairly distant place.

The boat is in the back corner of a big shed, that they also rent out for winter storage, so curently perhaps 10 other boats in front of Blue Angel.

while the boat is on the dry, we take advantage to go there and do some works ourselves,
ao service on engines and gensets, repainting and reorganising the utility room, upgrading some pumps and electrical systems (will post on that later)
some negociation was needed before we could do work ourselves in the yard, but Belgium chocolates opened the doors for us ;)

MapisM

Visit site
yes its a yard in south sardegna, in Sant Antioco, close to the island St Pietro - Carloforte, homebase of forum member MapisM
Very kind of you Bart, but I really can't claim to have helped a lot - aside from occasional advices on restaurants, maybe...
...though you are by now at least as knowledgeable as myself also in this respect, if not even more! 😋

Anyway, these last pics prove that the upgrades you had in mind will really transform the boat, consolidating her position as the most beautiful and modern C70s around.
I mean, the repairs are arguably the most important part of the job of course, that will bring back BA to almost "as new" conditions, and possibly even better in some respects.
But for instance, the lid extension on the forward part of the walkaround is really turning out as very stylish, waaaay better than the original.
Also, I really love the colour of the upper helm - which I suppose is going to be used also for the band around the side windows, right?
Many other smaller details are all very well thought and designed indeed. Great job!(y)

Pity that we will only be back in Sardinia in about 10 days, so we won't be able to catch up upon this visit of yours.
But I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions when you will see the boat in flesh - pretty sure the photos are extremely promising! 🤩
Have a nice and safe trip!

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
Wow Bart! Thanks for sharing all these pictures. This is a big refit but will secure BA for her next `10 years of cruising. The new overhang extensions are beautiful - better than the original boat. It is a pity that the yard near Rome who made the new bulwarks a few years ago didn't do the job properly, but at least you have caught it early to so you can fix it.
It will be great to see some more pictures.
Also looking forward to seeing her painted. (y)

BartW

www.amptec.be
thank you all for the ecouragements ! makes supporting the cost, just that tiny bit more bareable, :)
and yes indeed we would like to continue to use and love Blue Angel for a few more years,

Re that overhang extension
this construction is made from marine plywood, in situ, as can be seen in the pictures. The yard insisted to place a layer of GRP over the helmstation roof, and over those new extensions, bcs the wood from that old roof, was very warn, (still looking fairly good to me) and they are afraid that cracks would show up between the old and the new construction.
so the outside of the wood construction and the rooftop, is now covered with a layer of GRP,

some of the repairs they have done, is plywood epoxyed in place,
but the basic construction is all wood,
I have to say that they put so many layers of paint on all the surfaces, it looks like a epoxy / plastic shell...

re timing:
boat was lift out, and was placed in the back of this shed end of last september,
by the end of december they disassembled and opened every potential bad spot, and started the reconstruction of the wood,
in februari they started with the new teak,
and a couple of weeks ago they started with the painting,
today I spotted the first area's with the dark silver grey metallic paint; the FB helm station, and the zone around the front window,
they are curently preparing the FB for "Canados white" painting (radar archis done)

they told us that they will need untill june to finish the work. I insisted to have the boat ready to use on the first of July
and in case the work is not finished, they have to prepare the boat ready for use, and we might bring the boat back in september.

The yard does not have a good reputation regarding timing, but so far they are on scedule...

this week I'm in the yard, togeter with my wife Elly, and friend Peter, todo many small jobs,
pics to follow.

alt

Visit site
Bart, your enthusiasm never ceases to amaze me! Looking at the pics of the flybridge, I remember the first time I stood up on the FB and thought "WOW" ... so spacious!

Best of luck with the re-fit, give our regards to E!

AndieMac

Visit site
they have all the skills needed for this work, I'm really impressed with the quality of their workers while being at a fairly distant place.

The boat is in the back corner of a big shed, that they also rent out for winter storage, so curently perhaps 10 other boats in front of Blue Angel.

while the boat is on the dry, we take advantage to go there and do some works ourselves,
ao service on engines and gensets, repainting and reorganising the utility room, upgrading some pumps and electrical systems (will post on that later)
some negociation was needed before we could do work ourselves in the yard, but Belgium chocolates opened the doors for us ;)

Haha, the good old Belgium chocolates has opened many doors for you Bart ;-)

AndieMac

Visit site
You commit an impressive level of care and dedication to BA Bart, and being a big part of your social life, I reckon she is worth ever penny/cent spent.
Looking forward to the rest of the rebuild pics and story, and hope the W family have a great cruising season ahead, cheers C

BartW

www.amptec.be
update after a visit to the boat,
earlyer pics showed the new bilge pump, big membrange pump from Italian brand FEIT Pompe

we also replace the airco sald water pump by a brand new Gianneschi bronze centrifugal pump,
and the airco fresh water pump, replaced the original Calpeda, by a similar model from CEM
both pumps were not broken, but just preventive
and we re-installed with complete new brass fittings the original (31yo) Gianneschi Black water pump

someone sanding the wheel, with lots of passion

painting of the floor panels in the Utility and engine room (after pressure wash and sanding)

some varnish retouch of the vineered decoration panels on the saloon ceeling
there was some damage from water ingress, lucky this is "real wood" 1.5mm vineer, that you find nowhere anymore !!
those big decoration panels were taken down, but I forget to make pics when down..

and some random pics on progress with the spray painting

the last pic, shows the new "dark grey metallic" collor that replaces the formerly dark blue areas ao around the windows

benjenbav

Visit site
Hi Bart - BA is looking terrific. WRT the swim platform, are the strips of teak all numbered - for ease of refitting - and will they be bonded direct to the grp or will there be a sheet of ply between?