Blue Angel (Canados 70s) Rebuild thread

BartW

www.amptec.be
Hi Bart - BA is looking terrific. WRT the swim platform, are the strips of teak all numbered - for ease of refitting - and will they be bonded direct to the grp or will there be a sheet of ply between?
Thanks Martin, I’m not sure, I guess the strips are numbered, during my last visit they were on a pile in the corner of the workshop, I didn’t look at them, but tbh due to the shape of the platform, I think it won’t be difficult to sort them and bring them back in position. The slats are 13mm thickness so there is no need for plywood underneath ( the original was 6mm ply with 6mm teac),
On the flybridge however they placed a plate of 6mm ply underneath the new strips ( also 13mm thickness) bcs the original ply had small damages, so now the slats are fixed on new, 100% flat plywood.

jfm

Visit site
Very very nice Bart. This is a very serious refit.

Those slots in the hi-lo are very difficult to make, the way they are doing it. Beautiful job, but requires a lot of skill to do it like that and get the slots aligned with each other and the teak strips, when viewed from the top. Respect to them for doing it like this- most builders use short-cuts and some CNC machining for this.

The new grey paint looks 100%.

jfm

Visit site
These guys seem so good that they could mould you a hard top. Maybe install preparations for the support legs, now, while you have all the interior dismantled.

Maybe Grp/epoxy some aluminium pads, say 250x250x25, just aft of the fly windscreen, for the base of the hard top legs. Then you can just drill and tap later, with no interior work needed. Plus some cable ducts/tubes.

BartW

www.amptec.be
These guys seem so good that they could mould you a hard top. Maybe install preparations for the support legs, now, while you have all the interior dismantled.

Maybe Grp/epoxy some aluminium pads, say 250x250x25, just aft of the fly windscreen, for the base of the hard top legs. Then you can just drill and tap later, with no interior work needed. Plus some cable ducts/tubes.
Thanks J, yes these guys appear to be doing a good job,

Re the hardtop, you know that I considered this very seriously, made drawings, and had a quote from "Makefast" and a local Belgium GRP contructor,
there was a forum post on this, Hard Top for Blue Angel (Canados 70s)

and I alway's had in mind todo that together with the rebuild / repainting of the superstructure that we are doing atm,
this was a now or never moment,
but
apart from the fact that I don''t want to spend the time, nor have the energy, and became a little bit lazy (influence from Mapism :) ) to start the project,
the main reason for not doing this is the extra weight !
while I was fairly relaxed about it, I made a list of all the aditions we did to the boat, and we are now far over 3000 kg"s more weight compared to when I bought her,
there is the hilo platform, Scuba compressors, stabilizers, heavy tender, 2 jetski's, extra furniture, extra winches, many tools and spare pârts, etc..etc...
I guess that the hull on the stern sits approx 10cm deeper in the water.
there used to be 20..30cm clearance above water surface of scuppers on the trasom, from bilgepumps, watermaker etc.. while this clearance is now at least 10cm less !!
and this starts to become a bit scary.

those sun shades, soon on carbon poles, are doing a good job,
and we tested them up to 30kn (10kn speed, and 20kn head wind) they are very stable...
so that will be it for the coming years..

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
became a little bit lazy (influence from Mapism :))
Oi, you're saying that as if laziness were something negative - let alone easy to achieve.
As I think to have already explained you, that's instead a very hard to reach attitude.
Which you can only get to in the very same way as you get to the Carnegie Hall:
practice, practice, practice! :cool:

BartW

www.amptec.be
Oi, you're saying that as if laziness were something negative - let alone easy to achieve.
As I think to have already explained you, that's instead a very hard to reach attitude.
Don’t worry, beginning to enjoy the experience 😉

vas

Visit site
I feel that I should come to CF and have a few sessions with you P. I hope you don't charge much for the lectures :p

if I have nothing to do (as if!) I feel that's something wrong and I have to find something to keep me occupied 😥

MapisM

Visit site
I'll tell you what, Vas.
Aware as I am of your immense and transversal skills, I can think of several jobs on my boat which could keep you busy for as long as you wish.
And at the end of the day, I can reward you with FoC lectures on how to get rid of any sense of guilt that you might experience when doing nothing.
Deal? :cool:

BartW

www.amptec.be
I feel that I should come to CF and have a few sessions with you P. I hope you don't charge much for the lectures :p

if I have nothing to do (as if!) I feel that's something wrong and I have to find something to keep me occupied 😥
My wife and brother in Law (nr1 Amptec worker) have the same disease, but in a way I'm a bit jalous, and honor them for that, and that counts for you aswell !

vas

Visit site
I'll tell you what, Vas.
Aware as I am of your immense and transversal skills, I can think of several jobs on my boat which could keep you busy for as long as you wish.
And at the end of the day, I can reward you with FoC lectures on how to get rid of any sense of guilt that you might experience when doing nothing.
Deal? :cool:
deal! (although tbh I was expecting something like that :p )

what I didn't mention is that Anna is more of a workaholic than me (on her academic endeavours) so I'll bring her along for some training as well 😁
If you manage to get HER to lower her tempo, I'd be mightily impressed!

V.

Bouba

Visit site
deal! (although tbh I was expecting something like that :p )

what I didn't mention is that Anna is more of a workaholic than me (on her academic endeavours) so I'll bring her along for some training as well 😁
If you manage to get HER to lower her tempo, I'd be mightily impressed!

V.
Wouldn’t she rather come to France 🤷🏼‍♂️🥰😎

MapisM

Visit site
I neither can nor want to substitute Bart with anything he might have to say in answer to that.
But since we recently met, and I believe he's now in an area with poor mobile coverage, I hope he doesn't mind if I post a small spoiler... :cool:
BiPOjtMQ_o.jpg

Hooligan

Visit site
I neither can nor want to substitute Bart with anything he might have to say in answer to that.
But since we recently met, and I believe he's now in an area with poor mobile coverage, I hope he doesn't mind if I post a small spoiler... :cool:
BiPOjtMQ_o.jpg
Looks almost new. Love the sunshades. They really look good and very contemporary

Reactions: MrB

BartW

www.amptec.be
Did the refit get finished and are you back on the high seas?
as can be seen in the pic above the refit came together very nice,
in the end it was a bit stress to get the boat ready for the summer, especially cleaning and dealing with many small items,
but we succeeded, (we flew over a few friends from Belgium to help)
and are now nearly at the end of a nice holiday in south Sardegna;
almost 8 weeks on the boat, with family and friends, and no time left to spend here on the forum :)

we are very pleased with the work from the yard, I'll make a detailed picture report later.

we discovered a few technical issues, (nothing todo with the rebuild) ao a very small leak in the lamination near the rudder shaft, (I think thats there already for some time)
and a leak near a depth sensor,
and some old seacocks due for replacement,

so we decided to bring the boat back to this yard,
and keep her on the dry until spring,
and start a new small list of items that need mending.

Hooligan

Visit site
as can be seen in the pic above the refit came together very nice,
in the end it was a bit stress to get the boat ready for the summer, especially cleaning and dealing with many small items,
but we succeeded, (we flew over a few friends from Belgium to help)
and are now nearly at the end of a nice holiday in south Sardegna;
almost 8 weeks on the boat, with family and friends, and no time left to spend here on the forum :)

we are very pleased with the work from the yard, I'll make a detailed picture report later.

we discovered a few technical issues, (nothing todo with the rebuild) ao a very small leak in the lamination near the rudder shaft, (I think thats there already for some time)
and a leak near a depth sensor,
and some old seacocks due for replacement,

so we decided to bring the boat back to this yard,
and keep her on the dry until spring,
and start a new small list of items that need mending.
That’s great Bart. Sounds like you have been having a great time.