Blakes seacocks, ONLY Blakes!

The only real complaint I have against Blakes seacocks is that the thread for the nuts holding the keeper plate really need to be a MUCH finer thread. You get them nicely adjusted, tap the locking washer tabs into place and then nothing will move.

If not regularly maintained, the cone can seize in place and can be a devil to get out. A long soak with releasing oil can help, but then it can also seem to add surface tension. I have resorted to a hardwood drift and (throttled) sledgehammer to whack one out. The old ones (better material) can be serviced and remain in service longer than you ever expect the hull to last, though the addition of the grease nipple on the later ones is a useful improvement.

Rob.[/QUOTE
The ones I had, on a 1984-completed UFO27, had locking nuts, which I think is a much better arrangement as the tab-washers need to be replaced frequently.

G12

Visit site
The grease you want is called Aqualube.... It's far superior to Blakes own stuff but is a similar kind of blue. Can also be found as aquashield too.If you google Agualube then be prepared for some interesing links :)

JumbleDuck

Visit site
The grease you want is called Aqualube.... It's far superior to Blakes own stuff but is a similar kind of blue.

Blue? The Blakes stuff I have - in a tube at least thirty years old - is a thick, glutinous, smelly brown. Doesn't half stick, though.

FairweatherDave

Visit site
20160120_112819.jpg

This is the state of my cone after a quick clean up and grease. Plenty of pitting lower down so I guess there may be a teeny bit of seawater heading back up the pipe even with the valve closed, despite my greasing. I focussed most of the grease on the top section. Comments on the condition welcome ( I hope people don't regard it as too pink? ) Like I said earlier, a proper go with the grinding paste is a job for later.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
This is the state of my cone after a quick clean up and grease. Plenty of pitting lower down so I guess there may be a teeny bit of seawater heading back up the pipe even with the valve closed, despite my greasing. I focussed most of the grease on the top section. Comments on the condition welcome ( I hope people don't regard it as too pink? ) Like I said earlier, a proper go with the grinding paste is a job for later.

Looks like DZR rather than bronze, so post ~1985? Condition looks OK to me, surprising how pitted and worn they can be without leaking.

Poignard

Visit site
Looks like mine. 49 years in use and it still seals ok.

The position of the pitting on yours suggests the handle has not been turned quite far enough when the cock is shut.

I take the cone out every year to see if the pitting has gone right through. It still has a fair way to go.

I think yours is quite early because it looks as if the handle is fixed to the cone whereas with later ones the handle is removable and kept in place with a pin.

A way to overcome the problem of the adjustment changing when the locknut is tightened is to fit the locknut between the keeper and the valve body and tighten it up against the underside of the keeper while holding the screw.

FairweatherDave

Visit site
Thanks Vyv. I imagine it is original to the boat which is a 1978/9. The hose tail did show a bit more pink under the hose but I felt it was superficial when I scratched it the scratches were more orangey.

PS Thanks for your reply too Parsifal. Reassuring. I think I know what you mean in the final paragraph :)

Last edited:

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Thanks Vyv. I imagine it is original to the boat which is a 1978/9. The hose tail did show a bit more pink under the hose but I felt it was superficial when I scratched it the scratches were more orangey.

Can you compare the colour with a plumbing compression fitting? Bronze should look quite a bit pinker throughout but DZR will look very similar to the fitting, 60/40 brass.

marchhare

Visit site
I have taken the cones out and ground them, about 5 years ago, but I have the grease nipples fitted and grease every year with the same grease I use for the MAX Prop from Darglow. All seems to be well and probably being lazy due to the bother fiddling with the locking mechanism mentioned in other posts.

pvb

Visit site
It's many years since I had Blakes seacocks on a boat, but this thread has reminded me that, although they last a long time, they're a bit fiddly. Modern ball valves are just so relaxed in comparison - no greasing, no lapping, no adjustment.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
It's many years since I had Blakes seacocks on a boat, but this thread has reminded me that, although they last a long time, they're a bit fiddly. Modern ball valves are just so relaxed in comparison - no greasing, no lapping, no adjustment.

Very true but make sure they are doing what you think they are. Last season I discovered that although I was turning off my refrigerator seawater supply ball valve, which certainly felt as normal, in fact the ball had seized half open and the stem was rotating in its slot in the ball. For some indeterminate time, possibly years rather than months, the coolant to the fridge was only half volume.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
I had this also on my cockpit drains. I only found out when I investigated why one drained very slowly. I replaced both with s/s ones when I found that the innards had disintegrated. Although they look solid on the outside, the spindle and connectors inside are often made of inferior materials.
Very true but make sure they are doing what you think they are. Last season I discovered that although I was turning off my refrigerator seawater supply ball valve, which certainly felt as normal, in fact the ball had seized half open and the stem was rotating in its slot in the ball. For some indeterminate time, possibly years rather than months, the coolant to the fridge was only half volume.